FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

forum using bandwidth?

weableandbob
i'm thinking of setting up a forum using SMF on my site, and I was wondering if it uses bandwidth each time someone visits it (i'm guessing yes). If it does, i'm wondering if it's ok for me to send in another application to host just the forum, as 10gb is a lot, but it's better to be safe than sorry, right?
Bockman
You are not allowed to have 2 accounts.

We only allow one account per member.

and 10 GB is A LOT. If you use it all up there's 2 options. you either have the chance to optimize the site or, if you already have optimized it to the maximum, you have outgrown free hosting capabilities.

Be Well Cool
rvec
a visit to a forum takes up a couple of kb. For example this posting page takes up about 8kb. We'll take 10 for easy calculating. So 10gig/10kb = 1000 000 views.
If every user would take 100 views a month (which is really a lot more than most would, especially on a new forum) you can have 10 000 users. Now depending on the rest of your site, this could be a bit smaller, but I doubt you'll reach that if you just started a forum. And if you do reach it, you probably get enough ad-income to buy a good vps.
polly-gone
There is a good chance that you are not going to reach it, like rvec said. I have a friend that runs that (I think) and his dad would kill him if he went over 1gb (his dad owns the server), but he has yet to do that and the site gets a ton of visitors.

-Nick Cool Cool Cool
silverdown
I been using this hosting for over 1 year and I NEVER ever use up my bandwidth. I mostly use about 300 -400 a month. I found that uploading huge images or all images to free image host such as
photobucket.com , imageshack.us save on bandwidth. Also using huge files that you want to let people download can be hosted on free hosts such as mediafire.com. Just remember to follow frihost's and others hosts rules & guidelines.