FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

UK petrol prices

BPrice
with the ever increasing cost of petrol I was thinking what is the most expensive price for petrol and diesel in the UK and the rest of the world

so what is the lowest and highest prices near you and where you are?

here in cornwall we have petroll @ £1.14.9 and diesel @ £1.24.9 per liter.

I think some places near me are upto £1.20 for petrol around here.
vineeth
Kerala, India

Petrol : 48.50 Indian Rupees
Diesel : 35.00 Indian Rupees
friuser
I live in the us and it costs around 4.09 a gallon of gas where I am. Kinda silly topic since there's no standard unit of measure and conversion so we know just exactly what would be the highest?
carlospro7
here in ohio is around $4.04. It's insane how high it is.
Ghost Rider103
It's about $4.15 here.

I don't see why gas prices vary from gast station to gas station? You could be at arco on one side of town where the gas is $2.90. Then drive to the arco on the other side of town, where the same exact gas is Over $3.

Seems stupid in my opinion.
DoctorBeaver
I live in north Oxforshire & the highest price I've seen around here for diesel is £1.30 per litre. Petrol averages £1.20.

I'm self-employed and have to do a lot of stop-start driving for my work. Fuel prices are crippling me! I've only recently started this business so, as with almost all start-up businesses, I'm not yet earning a lot from it. I bought a 1.4litre car specifically for work (I was previously driving a BMW 730i - Jeez, what a difference!) but I'm still currently spending more than £80 per week on car fuel. Add to that the exorbitant cost of business use car insurance and my profits start to look decidedly unhealthy.

I like having my own business. I've got to be the worst employee in the world. I always think (no... I KNOW) I can do the job better than my boss and I hate being constrained to having to work specific hours. However, with the rising cost of petrol I'm seriously considering my options and thinking of going back to being salaried. Yes, being self-employed I have the potential to earn more in the long term, but I'm not sure I can survive until the long term to reap the benefits.
ankitdatashn
I guess there is thread already regarding this topic but neways....

In India petrol is 51 Rs a litre and diesel is around 35 something
Ghost Rider103
I live in the US, and gasoline is around $3.97, and Diesel is about $4.18.

Wasn't there a time where gasoline was more expensive than diesel??
coolclay
Why doesn't everyone convert your prices, and unit of measurement to a certain one so that everyone knows what your talking about.
BPrice
so we can tell some sort of difference in the price that we can recognise easely please state you price for 1 litter of fuel and if you can work it out please put the price in GBP.

Here are some of the main conversion rates for your reference

for £1 GBP

there is:

$1.97 USD

$1.96 CAD

2.06 AUD

1.25 EUR

84.31 INR (India Rupees)

I hope this helps some of you to do the sums so we can work out how much diferenc ther is in the price of fuel around the world.
standready
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I don't see why gas prices vary from gast station to gas station? You could be at arco on one side of town where the gas is $2.90. Then drive to the arco on the other side of town, where the same exact gas is Over $3.

It is called "location, location, location"! Here there is a station just outside an "expensive" subdivision that is always a nickel more than 2 miles down the road. Ever notice the price by the interstate compared to going a mile so off the interstate?
Here today: $4.09 per gallon.
Bockman
Just a reminder.

United states has a price per gallon and the europeans use price per liter (no idea about asia, but my guess is they use liters too).

1 Gallon is approximately 3.8 liters (3.785411).

carlospro7, $4.04 per gallon is something like $1.06 per liter. Considering (at today's rate) that one Dollar is 0.6376 Euros, this would make Gas prices in your place €0.69/liter.

You find it expensive? Well.. most europeans pay a lot more. Where I am now, Gas is around €1.45/liter (Making the conversion so you can get really shocked, it's something like $8,60/Gallon)

Now THAT's Insane!!

For UK people, £1 = €1.262 . so you're paying €1.45/liter, as am I.

Of course there are different prices, but here they don't vary that much between gas pumps.

Think I'll start importing Gas from the U.S. Razz Razz Razz oil tankers can't be that expensive.

Be Well Cool
BPrice
Quote:
Think I'll start importing Gas from the U.S. Razz Razz Razz oil tankers can't be that expensive.

Be Well Cool

i think you have got the right idea but i wonder what the UK government would have to say about it.
Yantaal
i just syphon my petrol out of neighbors cars. free petrol/

jokes i do not steal petrol
loonix
After driving for 10+ years I stopped driving a year ago due to the sheer expense associated with running a car. I now cycle most places.
erlendhg
In the city where I live, the petrol prices are insane. That is because the politicians adds a fee to pay off road construction work and similar.

The prices are normally at over 12 Norwegian Kroner / litre = > 1.2 £
Now, however, they are as high as they never have been at nearly 15 NOK / litre = 1.5 £

Also, while the prices for gasoline are shooting, so do the costs for a ride with the bus.
You have to pay 24 NOK for one adult on the bus = 2.4 £
MadeinIndia
Well, the Govt. has increased the fuel prices again! This means a whopping 5 rupee increase for every liter of petrol! So petrol in India now costs almost $4.65 for 1 US gallon. It's become crazy and there seems to be no limit in sight.

What do you think is causing so much increase in global oil prices?

How much are you paying for fuel in your respective countries?

Has your usage of Vehicle reduced after the prices increased?
vineeth
Friend, fuel price hike not just in India. Everywhere on the planet which uses such energy sources are facing the same issue. You just can't compel middle east nations to increase the production because petroleum is not for ever and it will come to an end within 40-50 years. These countries will have to manage and strengthen their economy with this only.

The only way out is switching to alternative energy sources. In my friends house in Tamil Nadu, they have made a 100% solar power plant. It supplies almost all their needs including the water pump, lights, fans and other electronics. The initial cost is high but soon it is going to be a great savings...
James_Hicks
Greed. Pure and simple. The Middle East has the world by the balls. The price where I am in Kentucky USA is $4.00 USD. That was as of 08:30 this morning. It changes quite frequently. I'd like to quote a friend on this one: "If Israel is the promise land and the Jews are the chosen people, why did God give all the oil to the infidels?". Quite ironic and funny at the same time.
Josso
In the UK, I think the conversion is about $11-12 per gallon or something.

£1.30 per litre anyway. Pretty ridiculous, especially for people like me that are soon getting a car.
Josso
DoctorBeaver wrote:
I live in north Oxforshire & the highest price I've seen around here for diesel is £1.30 per litre. Petrol averages £1.20.

I'm self-employed and have to do a lot of stop-start driving for my work. Fuel prices are crippling me! I've only recently started this business so, as with almost all start-up businesses, I'm not yet earning a lot from it. I bought a 1.4litre car specifically for work (I was previously driving a BMW 730i - Jeez, what a difference!) but I'm still currently spending more than £80 per week on car fuel. Add to that the exorbitant cost of business use car insurance and my profits start to look decidedly unhealthy.

I like having my own business. I've got to be the worst employee in the world. I always think (no... I KNOW) I can do the job better than my boss and I hate being constrained to having to work specific hours. However, with the rising cost of petrol I'm seriously considering my options and thinking of going back to being salaried. Yes, being self-employed I have the potential to earn more in the long term, but I'm not sure I can survive until the long term to reap the benefits.

Ah, South Oxfordshire here. Small world. Prices sound familiar. Really the US "high prices" are nothing compared to here if you convert it into gallons and dollars.
SpellcasterDX
Umm gas is around $3.95 or so. Depends on the gas station. But the average is around $4.

Has our driving decreased? Umm I don't think so. Maybe a tiny bit. But not really. I mean, the truth is cars are a necessity. You can't piggyback your kids to school, can you?

I think the cause is greed, and our persistence in trying to get oil from the middle east. I mean we have oil right here in the U.S.
deanhills
India is one of the top consumers of oil in the world. According to 2006 US EIA data India ranked No. 6 in oil consumption out of 15 Top World Consumers of the world. Stats for India is 2.54 million barrels of oil per day. The United States is ranked No. 1 in World Oil Consumption with 20.59 million barrels of oil per day, No. 2 Ranked is China with 7.27, No. 3 is Japan with 5.22, No. 4 is Russia with 3.10 and No. 5 Germany with 2.63 million barrels of oil per day.

Just note how high oil consumption is in the US relative to the next top consumer China.

You can retrieve this data for all the countries at this link:

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/country/country_energy_data.cfm?fips=IN

If you look at this US World Energy Databank the US seems to be importing oil from about every oil producing country in the world, even when they are importing too. Such as for India. Interesting reading. For example India produced .853 million barrels of oil per day during 2006 of which .012 million barrels of oil were exported to the US (according to these stats).

The United States produced 8.37 million barrels of oil per day during 2006, so of course needed to import quite a lot of oil, 12.357 million barrels of oil per day. I can imagine that makes then sense that petrol will be very expensive in the country. This is probably why so much effort has to be invested to get more oil.

Top producers of oil in the world are (million barrels of oil per day):

1. Saudi Arabia 10.72
2. Russia 9.67
3. United States 8.37
4. Iran 4.15
5. China 3.84
6. Mexico 3.71
7. Canada 3.29
8. United Arab Emirates 2.94
9. Venezuela 2.8

Iraq is currently ranked No. 15 at 2.01 (in 2006) but can imagine that it has much more possibilities.

Interesting too is that Russia is a TOP exporter of oil. It was ranked No. 2 exporter in 2006 with 6.57 million barrels of oil per day. Its consumption was ranked No. 4 with 3.1 million barrels of oil a day. For the size of the country it is puzzling as compare it with China at 7.27 million barrels of oil a day.

If one looks at the whole picture it probably puts the US presence in the Middle East in a different perspective.
Donutey
deanhills wrote:
India is one of the top consumers of oil in the world. According to 2006 US EIA data India ranked No. 6 in oil consumption out of 15 Top World Consumers of the world. Stats for India is 2.54 million barrels of oil per day. The United States is ranked No. 1 in World Oil Consumption with 20.59 million barrels of oil per day, No. 2 Ranked is China with 7.27, No. 3 is Japan with 5.22, No. 4 is Russia with 3.10 and No. 5 Germany with 2.63 million barrels of oil per day.

Just note how high oil consumption is in the US relative to the next top consumer China.

You can retrieve this data for all the countries at this link:

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/country/country_energy_data.cfm?fips=IN

If you look at this US World Energy Databank the US seems to be importing oil from about every oil producing country in the world, even when they are importing too. Such as for India. Interesting reading. For example India produced .853 million barrels of oil per day during 2006 of which .012 million barrels of oil were exported to the US (according to these stats).

The United States produced 8.37 million barrels of oil per day during 2006, so of course needed to import quite a lot of oil, 12.357 million barrels of oil per day. I can imagine that makes then sense that petrol will be very expensive in the country. This is probably why so much effort has to be invested to get more oil.

Top producers of oil in the world are (million barrels of oil per day):

1. Saudi Arabia 10.72
2. Russia 9.67
3. United States 8.37
4. Iran 4.15
5. China 3.84
6. Mexico 3.71
7. Canada 3.29
8. United Arab Emirates 2.94
9. Venezuela 2.8

Iraq is currently ranked No. 15 at 2.01 (in 2006) but can imagine that it has much more possibilities.

Interesting too is that Russia is a TOP exporter of oil. It was ranked No. 2 exporter in 2006 with 6.57 million barrels of oil per day. Its consumption was ranked No. 4 with 3.1 million barrels of oil a day. For the size of the country it is puzzling as compare it with China at 7.27 million barrels of oil a day.

If one looks at the whole picture it probably puts the US presence in the Middle East in a different perspective.

Russia has a lot fewer people and a lot less developed highway system, long distance travel is done by train or plane. China has a rapidly developing highway system, and has a lot more people, therefore they use more oil.
deanhills
Donutey wrote:
Russia has a lot fewer people and a lot less developed highway system, long distance travel is done by train or plane. China has a rapidly developing highway system, and has a lot more people, therefore they use more oil.

Point well taken Donutey. I was thinking about it since my posting of last night, possibly a more balanced view can be obtained by first of all dividing the barrels of oil by the number of people in the country. For example the US has about 300 million people and Canada 33 million people. Then some countries are used by large corporations in the US for outsourcing purposes, would be interesting to see what portion of oil imports go for manufacturing related to outsourcing, yet the stats appear on another country's consumer bill. Think one can have a field day with the stats.

Bottomline however, US is burning up a lot of oil, more than double that for China. I also wonder why it is producing so little oil.
mOrpheuS
MadeinIndia wrote:
So petrol in India now costs almost $4.65 for 1 US gallon.

It's actually close to $5.7 / gallon (all US units).
coolclay
The price has absolutely nothing to do with greed. It's called supply and demand. When demand increases for fuel (thanks to China and others) and supply decreases (because we are running out of oil) then price will go up. It's the most simple economic problem you'll ever see!
deanhills
BPrice wrote:
with the ever increasing cost of petrol I was thinking what is the most expensive price for petrol and diesel in the UK and the rest of the world so what is the lowest and highest prices near you and where you are?

I Googled it and found some information on Wikepedia at this Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_usage_and_pricing

The prices are for May/June 2008 and the sources for the prices are given on the Wikipedia page. There are 67 countries. I typed all of the numbers into an Excel Spreadsheet and found the following:

1. Out of the 67 countries that are listed the UK ranks No. 11 in the most expensive prices for petrol in the world. UK average price is 8.74 US$/Gal (2.31 US$/L)
2. The most expensive petrol is in Sierra Leone at 18.43 US$/Gal (4.87 US$/L)
3. The 10 most expensive prices for petrol world wide are:

Country US$/L US$/Gal
1 Sierra Leone 4.87 18.43
2 Norway 2.74 10.37
3 Turkey 2.68 10.14
4 Netherlands 2.67 10.11
5 Eritrea 2.53 9.58
6 Denmark 2.46 9.31
7 Germany 2.43 9.20
8 Finland 2.35 8.90
9 Italy 2.32 8.78
10 Portugal 2.32 8.78

4. The 10 cheapest prices for petrol world wide are:

Country US$/L US$/Gal
1 Venezuela 0.05 0.19
2 Turkmenistan 0.08 0.30
3 Nigeria 0.10 0.38
4 Iran 0.11 0.42
5 Saudi Arabia 0.12 0.45
6 Kuwait 0.21 0.79
7 Qatar 0.22 0.83
8 Bahrain 0.27 1.02
9 Egypt 0.32 1.21
10 UAE 0.37 1.40

5. The United States is ranked No. 22 out of 67 countries in cheapest prices in the world at 4.06 US$/Gal (1.07 US$/L)
6. Russia is ranked No. 18 in cheapest prices at 3.07 US$/Gal (1.05 US$/L)
7. China is ranked No. 16 in cheapest prices at 2.8 US$/Gal (0.74 US$/L)
8. India is ranked No. 28 in cheapest prices at 5.15 US$/Gal (1.36 US$/L)
9. One of the greatest surprises is Canada, a net exporter oil-producing country (mostly to the United States) ranking No. 29 (6 places after the United States) in cheapest prices at 5.49 US$/Gal (1.45 US$/L)

At a glance it looks as though Europe is worst affected in terms of expensive gasoline prices and suffering the most. The average gasoline price for all the 67 countries is 5.71 US$/Gal (1.51 US$/L). So US features well under the average. UK well above the average.
ashish2005
Petrol prices has been increasing around the world and it is the same for my country Nepal. The growth rate of the price of petrol has been steady for a few years and the strikes against the price increase too. (may be the growth rate and the strikes are the only thing constant in my country).

Petrol becomes scarce in my country when the prices go up around the world and the Nepal Oil Nigam (the only authorized petrol importer in the country, government owned, millions in loss) tries to sells it for a lower rate than the international market. I know friend who get up at 2am at night just to get the petrol the first thing in the morning after they wake up. They have to wait the whole night and they get the petrol after around atleast 6 hours of boring wait in the dark and during the day in the sun.

Recently they increased the prices and now it Rs. 100 (1 USD = 68 NRs approx.). We get the petrol easily now but it's expensive and this has raised the price of everything in the country.
kerryworkman
Sooo basically suck it up, at least you are not paying as much as the people in Sierra Leone (unless you happen to be there, in which case I am sorry your gas prices suck the most). It is really eye opening to see the differance in gas prices around the world. I have always known that gas was far more expensive in England but man that is crazy....ouch. Sad
ptfrances
Prices of petrol are increasing in UK as in all the countries of the world, there is no exception on that....
Look at the strikes there is everywhere on the globe, it's amazing
tony
I am in california, US now. it is US$4.65/gallon last i checked.

1 USD = .64 euro

so that's 2.976 euro/gallon

1 gallon = 3.79 litres

so that's .79 euro/litre.
georgeodowd
I'm in California, too. It's $4.57 down the street from me, but it was over $4.60 recently.
Much as I hate to see my truck-owning dreams thrown out the window, I have to say it's about time. Maybe now the state/federal govts will start taking public transportation seriously.
tOuchmyBody
McCain should get rid of Charlie Black, re: his comment in pollClash would be good for McCain's campaign if we were hit by terrorists. WHAT IF HIS FAMILY WERE INVOLVED IN IT? Obama is the right choice. McCain’s tactics are WRONG
DoctorBeaver
kerryworkman wrote:
Sooo basically suck it up, at least you are not paying as much as the people in Sierra Leone (unless you happen to be there, in which case I am sorry your gas prices suck the most). It is really eye opening to see the differance in gas prices around the world. I have always known that gas was far more expensive in England but man that is crazy....ouch. Sad

UPDATE:-

Highest price I've now seen is £1.26 per litre for unleaded.
Cuncha
It's ridiculous now. They've broken the psychological barrier of £1 per litre, and will now gradually increase it. We certainly won't see it go back down to under a pound again.
malcolmpreen
For the last 10 years I've been home based, and rarely travel to the office... with fuel prices increasing this is, for me at least, a logical pay rise... If I was travelling to the office it would be 350 miles a week, which is probably nearing a cost of £50.

So, I now rarely use my car... and when I do I use www.petrolprices.com to find the cheapest prices in my area.

Malcolm
linkmenot
BPrice wrote:
with the ever increasing cost of petrol I was thinking what is the most expensive price for petrol and diesel in the UK and the rest of the world

so what is the lowest and highest prices near you and where you are?

i live in india. petrol is rs. 60 here..thats almost £1
b3no
In australia its about $1.80 a litre now.

which makes that like £5.00... OUCH!

GOVERNMENT SUCK!
Cuncha
And there's nothing we can do... Sad
hofodomo01
Wow, they days in Canada when gas was 60 cents a liter....I can only dream of those days....
Srs2388
It has went way up here. the gas station down the road where I live is getting close to 5$/a gallon.
Shocked they are only two or three cents away from it