FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sitemaps, Robots and Pageranking

andyd34
I am just wondering what everyones thoughts are on the way sites are indexed on major search engines.

I myself have an xml sitemap generated by

http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

and a robots.txt file with a link to the sitemap in it.

I also have a link directory.

I recently created a website without a directory, xml sitemap or robots.txt file and within 4 weeks it had a pr of 2 so are they really needed.
Peterssidan
the robots.txt have nothing to do with the ranking as far as I now. I don't think sitemaps are any good for ranking but they can help the bot to know witch page to visit. pagerank has much more to do with links pointing to your site. I think sitemaps are more important on big websites.
georgekalathil
We use robots.txt only when we want to block a particular section of our website from being crawled by the search eninge. Otherwise there is no need for that.
Crinoid
georgekalathil:
I see that your website is a subdomain, like mine. I had read that making own robots.txt is working only for domains (link1, link2). And that for subdomains only using meta tages on each page should work for robots (link).
Do you have more information on this? Share, please.
dude_xyx
Google sitemaps help yr web pages to get indexed. Eliminating the chances Google spider missing web pages of your site. This is different from page rank which based of link popularity. It has nothing to do with Google sitemaps.
shkhanal
Yes.

I am interested about pageranks. Could somebody please explain a bit. What earns PR? is it a backlinks or there is something else?
b4r4t
shkhanal wrote:
Yes.

I am interested about pageranks. Could somebody please explain a bit. What earns PR? is it a backlinks or there is something else?

Noone realy know 100% sollution for pagerank ... even google engineers doesn't know everything Smile

In most of cases google PR bases on backlinks. But not only the number of linkc, but also quality - links from sites with bhigher pagerank are stronger. Next thing is that link on index page is stronger than on subpages, link on site which have simmilar content to your site is nice thing too. To many links in short time can be a bad thing etc... there is lot of variables.

But the "best" thing is that PR doesn't have nothing to do with google position in search results.

More important then PR is to be in top 10 on good keywords in google Smile
shkhanal
That meant, basically the backlink is responsible for PR. Good quality backlink means good PR.

Regarding "be in top 10 on good keywords in google", again, there might be lot of competition for that good keyword, and to be listed on tops, PR doesn't matter?

Thank you for response.
b4r4t
http://www.frihost.com/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&p=788507

shkhanal wrote:
That meant, basically the backlink is responsible for PR. Good quality backlink means good PR.

Regarding "be in top 10 on good keywords in google", again, there might be lot of competition for that good keyword, and to be listed on tops, PR doesn't matter?

Thank you for response.

It matters, but it isn't the only one parameter. There is lot more things which determinate Your google possition, and again - even google engineers doesn't realy know all of them Smile This algorithm is so complicated Smile You can have PR0 domain and be higher than domain with PR4 Smile

For example, i have one polish site about swap magic for playstation 2.

My page is pagerank 0, official swapmagic3.com page is pr4.

In polish google (google.pl) for keyword "Swap Magic" top 3 looks like:

swapmagic.pl (PR0)
swapmagic3.com (PR4 - official site)
swapmagic.bee.pl (PR0 - my site)

But lot of ppl use "swapmagic" keyword and here:

swapmagic.pl
swapmagic.bee.pl
swapmagic3.com

As You can see, PR4 site can be lower then PR0 site, even a subdomain one. More - PR0 page can be in TOP3!
Next thing is that it's worth to optimize Your webpage for niche keywords too - just install statistics script of Your choise, and monitor the incomming traffic (look at google traffic and which keywords are often used).
shkhanal
Agreed on your argument.

Then what might be the way out to be in top in the list. Is there anything we could do or only niche keyword.
b4r4t
shkhanal wrote:
Agreed on your argument.

Then what might be the way out to be in top in the list. Is there anything we could do or only niche keyword.

Not only. Good content, good, proper, semantic source code, valuable backlinks, promotion, sitemap and lot more Smile
And remember - DO NOT SPAM. If googlebot will "see" that You've got 100s of backlinks in one day - You will be sandboxed/banned Smile
Easy, few links/day. Not only Directories (which are verry poor links), but try to have links on valuable sites.
Try to not have large number of outcoming links, place Your links on sites which doesn't have lot of them, try to select those pages which content is simmilar to Yours ...

And by the way - before you promote Your site, get global domain name. Free subdomains are not bad, but they're not Yours - if the free hosting goes down - You will lose your "domain name". It's better to spend few bucks and buy .com/.net/.org ... or even cheap .info Smile You can laways get domain name for free for example on ddboard.com (I've got 3 domains from there)
shkhanal
Yes you are right! You know so lot of things. I really got many things from you today.

free subdomain problems, as you said, i'm experiencing today. Their server is down and my site is not opening. I selected this server because they gave joomla.

I can not buy domain name right now. Moreover, in our country they are not that cheap as well. and its very difficult to get credit cards so that I could buy on internet.
shkhanal
Ya I liked that forum ddboard.com. I was using one similar forum namepros and ddboard too is fantastic.

But getting free domain from there would require too long time and very hard work, I guess.
b4r4t
shkhanal wrote:
Yes you are right! You know so lot of things. I really got many things from you today.

free subdomain problems, as you said, i'm experiencing today. Their server is down and my site is not opening. I selected this server because they gave joomla.

I can not buy domain name right now. Moreover, in our country they are not that cheap as well. and its very difficult to get credit cards so that I could buy on internet.

Then as i said - go to ddboard.com and start posting (But dont spam!) ... I think that in ~30 days You will earn 3000ddpoints for com/net/org ... or if You want .info then only 1500ddp.
You can then use this domain on Your frihost hosting account Smile

shkhanal wrote:
Ya I liked that forum ddboard.com. I was using one similar forum namepros and ddboard too is fantastic.

But getting free domain from there would require too long time and very hard work, I guess.

Not so hard work ... large community, more - You can make offers for ddpoints (like vote for site, register on forum and write 5 posts etc.) in that way You will earn Your points much faster Smile Then just request domain and get it Smile
shkhanal
that's pretty interesting. Could you please tell me how the ddpoints are earned? Is it by posting or something else? Namepros NP$ were earned only by clicking on site links it provided.
b4r4t
shkhanal wrote:
that's pretty interesting. Could you please tell me how the ddpoints are earned? Is it by posting or something else? Namepros NP$ were earned only by clicking on site links it provided.

ddp are earned for posting, for new threads its 15ddp , and for posts 5ddp ... You will get 0.1ddp each time when someone wiev Your thread... You can earn ddp for making offers, or in lottery, or playing games, or stealing from other users, You will get even weekly % if You will store Your ddp in the Bank (It's worth to store ddp in bank, because it prevents from stealing) ... register and check Yourself Smile
shkhanal
Certainly I would do it today! thank you for information