FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need a program to edit startup programs

killer911pt
Ok i have too many programs that open on startup i need one that will let me edit which ones do and dont!

Something that will give me a list of all the ones which currently do and then allow me to change them to either open or dont!

it gets really annoying when about 17 programs open up and you only want to use about 2 when it would be much easier if nothing opened and then you could open the two yourself
nilsmo
You could always go (on Windows, which I assume you're using since you have these problems) Start.. Run.. type in msconfig and press enter. Then press the Startup tab and uncheck programs you don't want to start when you log on to the computer.

There's probably a better way to do this, but I believe this works (if I understand your question correctly).
[FuN]goku
Alot of programs have an option to either enable or disable run on system startup, but in the event that they dont, you could try xptools as it has something in it disabling startup programs or you could try what nilsmo said.
killer911pt
thanks for the reply the "msconfig" is exactly what i wanted
ocalhoun
The anti-spyware program 'spybot search and destroy' includes in it's expert options a complete list of all things that start up when the system starts up, with options to disable any of them. Be careful with that, though. It picks up things that are essential for the system to work as well.
dude_xyx
Do it manually its safe also you know what you do.
Klaw 2
make a list of things the pc uses and check what they are mayby you will throw your sound driver out of it, wich will make it useless.
infinisa
Hi killer911pt

Quote:
thanks for the reply the "msconfig" is exactly what i wanted

Sure is! with the "System Configuration Utility" (msconfig) , you can clean up real good.

For more details, please see my post "How to Run a Full Computer Backup or Virus Scan Efficiently"
Indyan
If you want you can also use Autoruns by Sysinternals or Anvir Task Manager Free. Anvir task manager allows you to even set some items to launch 1 min after you login. This is very helpfull as it means you dont have to wait for your system to become responsive after logging in.
Chris24
You can also use a free program, actually there are two of them. ncleaner and ccleaner. I recommend them both highly.
shkhanal
This is bit risky if you make mistakes, but I like it as it is the most powerful method. You can not only stop them from automatically starting but also remove those entries from Startup tab of msconfig.

1. Open registry editor (type regedit on Start>>Run)
2. On left panel browse upto computer\hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
3. Choose the programs you want to stop auto starting from the right panel
4. delete that entry (press DEL key on keyboard)
5. Good work! Now check on msconfig, there are no entries for those programs.
infinisa
Hello Folks

Please be careful about messing with the registry.

I wouldn't follow shkhanal's solution:

Quote:
This is bit risky if you make mistakes, but I like it as it is the most powerful method. You can not only stop them from automatically starting but also remove those entries from Startup tab of msconfig.

1. Open registry editor (type regedit on Start>>Run)
2. On left panel browse upto computer\hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
3. Choose the programs you want to stop auto starting from the right panel
4. delete that entry (press DEL key on keyboard)
5. Good work! Now check on msconfig, there are no entries for those programs.

precisely because by using msconfig, you avoid the risks of changing the registry.

In fact, msconfig is a more "powerful" solution than this, because it looks in several places by itself:
For Windows 3.x compatibility: system.ini, win.ini
boot.ini
Services
Startup:
1. The above key: computer\hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
2. The Startup menu entries for All Users "Common Startup" (in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup)
3. The Startup menu entries for Current user "Startup" (in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup)

- so it's much easier than making the changes manually. It's also safer, and allows you to undo the changes if you wish!
Feroc1ty
You should try CCleaner, it is a freeware program that helps you clean temporary files, bad registry, and startup programs.

http://www.ccleaner.com/