FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Setting up a local PHP and MySQL Workspace

polly-gone
I would like to set up a local PHP and MySQL workspace so that I don't have to upload to preview a website, but I am unsure of what to do.

Can I do it without it changing my OS or messing with any of my files? I have tons of important stuff on my computer that I CANNOT afford to lose.

Thanks,
-Nick Razz Razz Razz
[FuN]goku
XAMPP is your answer Razz

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

You'll want the full installer Wink
ezekiel_rage
polly-gone wrote:
I would like to set up a local PHP and MySQL workspace so that I don't have to upload to preview a website, but I am unsure of what to do.

Can I do it without it changing my OS or messing with any of my files? I have tons of important stuff on my computer that I CANNOT afford to lose.

Thanks,
-Nick Razz Razz Razz

WAMP is another good package for your purpose. It comes with Apache, MySQL, PHP and PHPMyAdmin.

You can also do a manual install. Which in my opinion much better since you can learn how to set-up your own.

If you are on windows (mist probably) and you have your installer disc, you can install IIS from that. then get the installers for php, and mysql.
ocalhoun
Try using VMware server (which can be downloaded and run for free)
This will let you run virtual PC's within your PC, and you can make one of those PC's a complete web server. When you're not running VMware, the server will have no effect on your computer, besides taking some hard drive space. Both the host machine and the virtual machine can be of nearly any OS.
dougblackjr
ezekiel_rage wrote:
WAMP is another good package for your purpose. It comes with Apache, MySQL, PHP and PHPMyAdmin.

You can also do a manual install. Which in my opinion much better since you can learn how to set-up your own.

If you are on windows (mist probably) and you have your installer disc, you can install IIS from that. then get the installers for php, and mysql.

I use WAMP, and I love it!

~ Doug
simplyw00x
Quote:
I use WAMP, and I love it!

Just a quick clarification; WAMP is a stack (Windows, Apache, mySQL and PHP), not a software package. Whilst there are plenty of WAMP installers (and MAMP, and LAMP), telling someone to 'get WAMP' is a bit mis-leading, because setting up WAMP from components is actually quite hard if you've never done it before, and if you don't want to
Quote:
chang[e] [your] OS or [mess] with any of [your] files
polly-gone
ocalhoun wrote:
Try using VMware server (which can be downloaded and run for free)
This will let you run virtual PC's within your PC, and you can make one of those PC's a complete web server. When you're not running VMware, the server will have no effect on your computer, besides taking some hard drive space. Both the host machine and the virtual machine can be of nearly any OS.

Do you know where I can get IIS to be able to install VMware? I don't have an install disk because I got my comp preloaded with Vista.

-Nick Confused Confused Confused
xbcd
use xampp if u want a quick development test site. Thats exactly what xampp was designed for. However they have added security now so it can go into a production environment, but still not that good of an idea for that. XAMPP will setup and install in 5 minutes and u'll be using it asap. BTW, 5 minutes excluding the download.
johanfh
Quote:
Do you know where I can get IIS to be able to install VMware? I don't have an install disk because I got my comp preloaded with Vista.

VMWare Server can be downloaded from the VMWare site. You have to register for that, although it's free. After installing it you can either install windows with IIS (if you have a legal version) or a Linux distro, for example ubuntu, which you can download. I would choose a linux distro with apache, php and mysql.
Another possibility (if you're not experienced and don't like to try something like vmware): search an old pc and use that as a linuxserver. PHP and MYSQL don't have very high demands, you can simply install a small linuxdistro without x-server and use an older pentium for it.

I'm not sure if IIS works with MySQL, because IIS likes to work with Microsoft SQLserver.

Good luck!
JohanFH
bigt
xbcd wrote:
use xampp if u want a quick development test site. Thats exactly what xampp was........ BTW, 5 minutes excluding the download.

Yes, use XAMPP. It works great and installs quick. I'm using it here at the office for some light testing. I would use something different in production, but this was quick and not a resource hog.
positive_vibes
I use and personally recommend Wamp Server 2.0 available here. Setup is relatively simple and it is a very effective means of real time local testing of web development. Packaged with the latest releases of MySQL and PHP you can't go wrong. It will install directly to C:/ by default and inside it's root folder you will find a www folder. Simply drag and drop your web site's root folder to the www folder. While setting up the options after installation set the host to http://localhost, then to view your sites type http://localhost in to your test browsers and your sites will be listed under the Your Projects category by the name of their root directories. If you take your web design seriously I would suggest installing multiple browsers on your system to test for cross-browser compatibility.

PS: Make sure you remember to check for updates to Wamp Server, as scripting languages are constantly changing. This product keeps sufficiently updated with new versions of MySQL and PHP. Just like a good host provider would.

EDIT: Make sure you run the Wamp Server program before attempting to view http://localhost Confused