FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FTP - file last modified date

ashok
When we upload using FTP, the file's last modified attribute is being changed to the time of upload on the server.
Check http://ash.frihost.net/felines
In the top left corner, there's a javascript displaying the last updated date and the age of the document. I'm using IPSwitch WS_FTP's Synchronize utility. When i synchronize, instead of only modified files, all the files are being uploaded again because the last modified date on the server is being changed. Also the purpose of document age and document last modified script is getting defeated.

So, is there any option to stop that automatic change in lastmodified date attribute? Or are there any FTP synchronizing tools which work on basis of contents, not on basis of last modified date?
Bondings
There isn't an option that I know of, sorry.
Daniel15
A tool that synchronises on the basis of contents would need to download your whole website every time you run it (a big waste of bandwidth).

My suggestion is to try a different FTP client. There is an FTP command which will set the last modified date, but only a few FTP clients use it.

And your script doesn't even display in Opera (Opera is a web browser). It just says 'Updated: ' without a date.
Sunny
Quote:
A tool that synchronises on the basis of contents would need to download your whole website every time you run it (a big waste

Not really . Ws Ftp works on date modified then content wise.

I can't understand How server will change modofied date of files. When I saw my files, they all had correct modified dates. In Ws Ftp there's an option "execute" when you synchronize which gives you sort of preview of what files will be replaced.
mengshi200
from 9.6 to now after i upload files through ftp,can't find files updated,but can visit through ie browser.but visitor look like decrease according to alexa. situation is same whether using cuteftp or other ftp software. my ftp is huajun.frihost.net .
ashok
daniel15 wrote:
And your script doesn't even display in Opera (Opera is a web browser). It just says 'Updated: ' without a date.

hey it's working fine on my Opera 8.02
Daniel15
Yeah, I just upgraded to Opera 8.02 and noticed it works (I was previously using Opera 7.51 which it didn't appear to work under)