FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Trouble with WPA wireless in Fedora 9

surdy
Hi
I recently upgraded to Fedora 9 . Everything seems to be working good except for when i tried to connect to WPA wireless connection using NetworkManager.
My NetworkManager crashed when i tried to connect to the WPA PEAP MSCHAPv2 connection.

The NetworkManager was unable to locate the certificate before it crashed ( earlier it used to find the certificate itself while trying to connect)

I have intel 3945 wireless card (ipw3945).

I just wanted to know if anyone else too faced this problem or is it just me.

I'll try downloading the certificate and explicitly providing it and will also try wpa_supplicant . In the mean time any inputs on this are welcome.

Thanks
simplyw00x
Does it work better if you kill networkmanager and configure the network manually using iwconfig and iwlist? Alternatively, have you tried the /etc/sysconfig/network tool?
surdy
i doubt that a WPA network can be configured using iwconfig
csoftdev
I use knetwork manager myself for wireless.
I can use it without any problem, works just like in windows.
but first of all, you need to get the driver working for yoru card.
surdy
the driver is working perfectly fine
Nework manager is working seamlessly with WEP wireless

csoftdev ... did your Network manager work for WPA or WEP
simplyw00x
surdy wrote:
i doubt that a WPA network can be configured using iwconfig

Why?
surdy
I mean yeah it is possible but cumbersome.
because its not just ESSID and Key that are needed to connect to a WPA secure network.
There are a bunch of parameters that need to be set. This can be done through a bunch of commands every time which i don't want and other option would be using a config file to hardcode the network settings , which i don;t want as that is not the only wireless network i connect to.

I would have tried these options by now but the WPA wireless is my University wireless and i'm having vacations.

I sure there are other ways to connect , but NetworkManager being the simplest ( i had kinda got used to it as it worked in my fedora 7) , I wanted to know if anyone else too faced the same issue.

I'll try again when i'm back to the university
Studio Madcrow
WPA and Linux don't get along as well as they should. By and large, I'd say you should stick to using WEP wherever possible.
simplyw00x
Quote:
I mean yeah it is possible but cumbersome.

I wasn't suggesting that he use this every time, but obviously could do using /etc/rc.local --- it was a diagnostic suggestion to see if the problem was drivers/the card or NM itself.

Quote:
WPA and Linux don't get along as well as they should. By and large, I'd say you should stick to using WEP wherever possible.

I doubt he'll be able to convince his university to switch to a different security protocol, particularly one that can be craked in about 20 seconds (literally). Either you don't really understand that swtiching isn't just a case of a router setting or (more likely) you didn't read the thread, and I humbly suggest you're just trolling for points.
surdy
Quote:
Quote:

I doubt he'll be able to convince his university to switch to a different security protocol, particularly one that can be craked in about 20 seconds (literally). Either you don't really understand that swtiching isn't just a case of a router setting or (more likely) you didn't read the thread, and I humbly suggest you're just trolling for points.

Hehe ..ya there are a bunch of techniques available on internet to crack WEP and you don't need to be a computer genius for that. Just simple tools and standard set steps.