FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Motherboard Linux...

Studio Madcrow
ASUS has announced that they're going to be including an in-BIOS mini Linux good enough to surf the web and even chat over Skype with on every single motherboard they ship... This has to have Microsoft pretty worried as it could lead to a massive downfall in their marketshare...
badai
it's not that useful. it came with only 512M space, with no access to HD or external USB drive. not much you can do except using the minimal built in application.

think Asus Eee. would you use it? now think about mini, mini, mini Eee. what can you do with it?
swizzy
i think it would be good enough for kiosks and other similar uses... for instance schools can provide basic usage of computer, and ensure that their pcs are not used as entertainment purposes (which usually are...)

btw, what exactly is the product name and shipping date?
badai
Splashtop

http://www.splashtop.com

Oct 2007.

old news. why nobody knew? because nobody use it.
Arnie
Might as well use a live USB drive.
surdy
intersting ... i hope it finds some uses in limited need enviroments Very Happy

anyways thanks for the info
SonLight
The functionality of Splashtop may be too limited for widespread adoption at the moment, but the idea could be developed into a powerful tool. Why not do a "stage one" boot to do simple things like check email, and reserve a full boot for the times you need to do a wider variety of work.

On the other hand, for dedicated use, add some disk memory which can be used to store data, but limit or prevent storage of programs to maintain security. Perhaps the reason no one has taken this idea further yet is because they fear the response from certain large companies.

How about a full system that comes with a near-instant-on mode, and auto-installs your choice of OS?
[FuN]goku
hmm very interesting. Very Happy
kansloos
I think we can forget a near instant full system, as the full system loads way more crap in the memory and this takes time.
Studio Madcrow
I thought that it COULD save stuff to USB drives... If it can't then it's not useful. But if it can...
xbcd
its equivalent to some companys dvd player without boot. all it can do is play dvd's and the main os is not loaded. this is the same for surfing the web without turning on the full OS.
Studio Madcrow
xbcd wrote:
its equivalent to some companys dvd player without boot. all it can do is play dvd's and the main os is not loaded. this is the same for surfing the web without turning on the full OS.

I think the ability to surf the web/check email/etc is a bit more useful than being able to play a DVD.
xbcd
Studio Madcrow wrote:
xbcd wrote:

I think the ability to surf the web/check email/etc is a bit more useful than being able to play a DVD.

what i ment is that it is a lite os. Where some company's used the dvd thing to get rid of the need to boot windows this is the same if you are at a hotspot or something and just want to surf the web. If you don't need access to your files.
mehulved
Should be really helpful when your hard disk crashes, so you are not left without an OS, completely. You can just go and browse the net and do some small stuff then I guess.