FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Doctor Who fan faces Court Action over knitting

wumingsden
Quote:
A Doctor Who fan who created knitting patterns for the programme’s monsters and gave them away online has been told by the BBC to stop or face the threat of court action.

The action against the licence fee-payer who had produced patterns of the squid-faced Ood and the short, fat, white Adipose for members of her knitting circle has rapidly become a cause célèbre on the internet.

The 26-year-old woman, who uses the name Mazzmatazz because she does not want to be identified, said that she was “just an ordinary person who likes knitting” who had been caught up in “a bit of whirlwind”. Lawyers argue that her case shows that trademark and copyright law should be changed.

However, the BBC says it is defending its own trademark, although it has no intention of producing knitted Doctor Who baddies, in threats that are reminiscent of KFC’s attempt to sue a Yorkshire pub for offering a “Family Feast” menu. KFC dropped the action after an outcry a year ago......

Source

I decided to post this because I found it rather ludracris. If the BBC decided to take the woman to Court, and were successful in their bid, then surely it would open up a whole can of worms.

Like, for example, it could mean you could be taken to Court for drawing characters from your fav. book (Harry Potter comes straight to mind) due to the images being based on J.K.Rowlings descriptive text.

As long as she doesn't claim they are "Offiical", and completley unrelated to the BBC/Doctor Who, which any reasonable person would assume so, I see no problem with what she is doing.

Do you?
coolclay
Of course not, especially if she isn't making any money off of them. Thats is ridiculous, and I thought stupid crap like that only take place in the states!
paul_indo
Lawsuits abd greed seem to be taking over the world.
MRaftery
Why can't they ever let these things slip. If they produced knitting patterns then they might have a case but they dont't.
icecool
that is just ridiculous - i'd rather snuggle up to one of them than one of the creators originals:
Quote:
"Particularly popular is the blob-like Adipose, a creature made from human fat and introduced in the current series...."
(same sourse)

yuk
loryl
I'm sure she's used to it. Doctors get sued up the wazoo. Oh well, the lawyers are happy.
PMK-Bear
Although it IS rather stupid to claim copyright infringement over products that were never going to appear within your assets (knitting patterns of your series characters for instance, or, I dunno, swedish penis enlargers with their shape, or anything equally embarrassing), for some reason US corporations feel anything their slaves come up with is automatically protected by their cashbags and any derivative work is also automatically theirs, even if they had no possible link with the creation of such derivatives.

Meh. That's just ANOTHER reason not to ever be anywhere near the US again. It's kind of a scary place.
lagoon
PMK-Bear wrote:
Although it IS rather stupid to claim copyright infringement over products that were never going to appear within your assets (knitting patterns of your series characters for instance, or, I dunno, swedish penis enlargers with their shape, or anything equally embarrassing), for some reason US corporations feel anything their slaves come up with is automatically protected by their cashbags and any derivative work is also automatically theirs, even if they had no possible link with the creation of such derivatives.

Meh. That's just ANOTHER reason not to ever be anywhere near the US again. It's kind of a scary place.

Uh... the BBC is based in London. It is a British institution... Rolling Eyes
liljp617
PMK-Bear wrote:

How does this relate to the US again?
Bikerman
liljp617 wrote:
How does this relate to the US again?

Well, obviously the US is one of our colonies isn't it? Oops, perhaps I need a new history book Smile
liljp617
Very Happy Don't mean to spoil it for ya, but we won!
Bikerman
liljp617 wrote:
Very Happy Don't mean to spoil it for ya, but we won!

Merely a tactical withdrawal. As soon as the new galleons are built we'll see who's boss...
PMK-Bear
Duh. I knew that "don't type while high" sign I put in front of the PC meant something. Anyway, what I tried to say is that it'd be expectable from a USA-based corp, and that it sucks, and all, even more in britain.

Bleh.
horseatingweeds
PMK-Bear wrote:
for some reason US corporations feel anything their slaves come up with is automatically protected by their cashbags and any derivative work is also automatically theirs, even if they had no possible link with the creation of such derivatives.

The reason is that such agreements are common in employment contracts were a company finances projects that produce proprietary entities. If you don't like it, ask to alter the contract. But would you hire someone and pay huge cash bags to create something your company won't have total rights too? If you would, I'd recommend staying an employee.

Regardless, it's not unique to US companies. Just any company that doesn't want to go out of business.