FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

UK Weather, China Earthquake, Burmese Cyclone, US tornado

wumingsden
Just a general question really.

Here in the UK the weather has been rather unusual. We had quite a few thunderstorms, really bad thunderstorms actually, followed by lovely exotic weather which is still holding out (although expected to go downhill in a few days I believe).
It was really really hot though. I can name at least 10 friends that fainted because of the heat when outside. I've never known that to happen.

Then theres the Earthquake that occurred in China a couple of days ago which had a magnitude of 7.9 on the richter scale. The official death toll is more than 12,000, but an estimated 60,000 people are still missing. A recent earthquake in March in Xinjiang, China was measured at 7.2.

Then theres the Cyclone that hit Burma ten days ago which killed at least 100,000 people, with an estimated 200,000 people still unaccounted for.

And finally a "bizarre" weather front which created a tornado that swept across two states in the USA.

I know weather fronts and plate tectonics are different natural forms which can create disasters.

But can they be linked in any way at all (that are rational/free of rubbish conspiracy theories)?

The first thing that jumps to mind about a change in weather is climate change/global warming. Can that in any way affect plate tectonics?

Or have the last couple of weeks been really bad coincidences?
truespeed
I think wumingsden is right to point out how bad the weather has been in the UK,we are forever hearing about typhoons in Asia,twisters in America wiping out whole towns,hurricanes of up to 150 miles an hour,so i just want to point out that we in the UK suffer bad weather too.

See Pic
majiknight8
truespeed wrote:
I think wumingsden is right to point out how bad the weather has been in the UK,we are forever hearing about typhoons in Asia,twisters in America wiping out whole towns,hurricanes of up to 150 miles an hour,so i just want to point out that we in the UK suffer bad weather too.

See Pic

I would wonder if climate change is a possibility. Especially after seeing a portin of an artic shelf melt and break off int othe ocean after only a few months ago. These weather signs in the atmosphere almost seem ominous. Is it \possible tht because of the global warming effects the few degree shifs we find in the atmosphere are just a smalll comparrison to the compounding effect that the plates in the earth are heating up also. Consipracy theories not included what were signs of the black plague before we called it a black plague. Also in america in the west when settlers were becomming sick what were the warning signs before actual diagnosis and cures were found?

I would suggest we investigate possible lnks to these weather patterns before something is discovered which will be dangerous to all people is found.
HamsterMan
Did someone say, Conspiracy theories!? Very Happy

http://www.xs4all.nl/~stgvisie/VISIE/Klimaat/article.html

Found out about it here:

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm

Anyways, here in finland we've had have a really late warm winter, and a long cold spring.
thorunn
it has been odd in Iceland too...we haven't really got any snow in the winter at all...I mean where I'm from we were so used to having to dig tunnels to open the front door or windows but not any more.....
majiknight8
all, It appears that conspiracy theories aside we have eye witness proof around the world that there are strange occurances in the weather and global warming is a real issue. Thank you guys for sharing your experiences.

Mknight8 Cool
singh.gurjeet
Is the world nearing it's end? The humanity, to be precise.

I don't think I heard of so many natural calamities happening so frequently ever in the past. I sure have seen how some people in USA are fanatic about chasing and studying storms/tornadoes, but I have come to hear of so many natural calamitie in the past decade or so that it sure seems like building up to something.

Here are a few instances come to my mind, from the region where I reside:
Earthquake in Latur, India.
Earthquake in PoK, (India's J&K state).
Tsunami in south, south eastern Asia; India hit worst.
Cyclone in Bangladesh.
Almost annual minor-earthquakes in Himalayan region and cyclones in eastern Indian states.
Now the cyclone in Burma.

Similar anecdotes can be gathered for any other region I suppose.

Do you see a pattern?
Liu
truespeed wrote:

See Pic

Laughing good one
polly-gone
See, where I live (Pennsylvania, USA) the saying "April showers bring May flowers" usually always hold true. But this year, April was a pretty dry months and this Month, the rain has been pouring down like crazy. This usually never happens. The last time this happened was 1989 (or so I am told. I wasn't even born then!)

The weather is really weird. And I am pretty sure that the Global Warming can affect plate tectonics. This Global Warming could lead us into another Ice Age because it is changing the way the current flow in the Atlantic Ocean. There si a huge fault in there that could be changing. But I don't know for sure.

-Nick Think Think Think
polly-gone
truespeed wrote:

See Pic

And Truespeed, you are correct. You weather looks HORRIBLE. You better get in the basement.

-Nick Wink Wink Wink
Ghost Rider103
I thinkthat global warming is having a big effect on our weather patterns.

I don't know if anybody else sees this, but our seasons seem to somewhere have falled behind. I'm here in South Dakota, and we had some heavy snow in April, and that is highly unlikely.

Our winter was also pretty dry compared to what is normally is, so my guess is next year around, we are going to have a really bad winter, or we will get it sometime later than that, since our seasons seemed messed up.

Just my opinion though, but our weather has deffiniately been acting strange.
polly-gone
Same here. The weather patterns are shifting. Like I said before, our April Showers are coming in May!

-Nick Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
truespeed
polly-gone wrote:
truespeed wrote:

See Pic

And Truespeed, you are correct. You weather looks HORRIBLE. You better get in the basement.

-Nick Wink Wink Wink

Im already there,and im not moving until either the rain stops or i can find that umberella,i know its in here somehwere.
the-guide
singh.gurjeet wrote:
Is the world nearing it's end? The humanity, to be precise.

It looks like the critical signal, something that never happen before can be happen any time, any zone and any where.
ptfrances
I don't want to be so pessimist than the post before mine. But it's true that the last five years have seen a deregulation of the world's climate.

Confused
nivinjoy
What ever bad happens believe in god and pray more and more for all the good to happen..!! Whenever bad happens don't think much about them but think about all the good that had happened and the good that are going to happen...!!!
singh.gurjeet
nivinjoy wrote:
What ever bad happens believe in god and pray more and more for all the good to happen..!! Whenever bad happens don't think much about them but think about all the good that had happened and the good that are going to happen...!!!

Yeah... right... You ignorant nincompoop!! Just keep using all the oil, keep cutting and burning all the wood, keep excavating all mines and just don't give a damn what it all leads to. Just keep your eyes shut and hope for the best. Just bury your head under sand like an ostrich and hope the predator (the natural consequences) will forgive you to be naive.

Sad part is, my next generation will have to bear the brunt of these actions because of people like you.

I think the AI in the movie Matrix was very right: we ARE like viruses; we hog all the resources around us, and when they exhaust we move on to newer pastures looking for more resources to eat...
nivinjoy
singh.gurjeet wrote:

I think the AI in the movie Matrix was very right: we ARE like viruses; we hog all the resources around us, and when they exhaust we move on to newer pastures looking for more resources to eat...

That is nice...So now its time...Now we have to search for the next abode...!!! Huh..?? Laughing Laughing
the-guide
Fantasy! But finally, it might be true. Sooner or later Exclamation .
singh.gurjeet
nivinjoy wrote:
singh.gurjeet wrote:

That is nice...So now its time...Now we have to search for the next abode...!!! Huh..?? Laughing Laughing

What do you think the scientists have been doing so far!!! Look at the projects SETI, the recently successful landing in Mars, Hubble Telescope, Jupiter missions. Under one pretext or the other, we've always been looking for places away from earth where life can flourish.

We've been looking for a new abode, but (thankfully) we haven't found anything yet.

Best regards,
Srs2388
The weather has been crazy here too.
a few tornadoes (they missed my house thankfully)
I wonder what winter will be like this year. I hope the summer isn't going to be another one of those 100+ degree's Fahrenheit.
eday2010
wumingsden wrote:

The first thing that jumps to mind about a change in weather is climate change/global warming. Can that in any way affect plate tectonics?

Or have the last couple of weeks been really bad coincidences?

First off, more and more scientists are agreeing that man-made climate change/global warming is a sham. "Global warming" stopped in 1998. And the lack of sunspots on the sun means it won't get warmer now. Climate change exists, but as a natural occurence. It was winter, but now it is spring: the climate changed. There used to be an ice age, but things warmed up, just like some scientists warm that another ice age may be coming. We are too small to affect the climate. Install Google Earth and zoom in on your house. Then keep zooming out until you can see most of the Earth's roundness. That is A LOT of air and atmosphere for us to be able to changing it enough to warm the Earth. We'd need a lot more people. Not to mention most of the "greenhouse gases" is just water vapour.

Secondly, regardless of what the liars from Greenpeace and other eco-nut organizations tell you, if there is global warming and things are warming up, that would mean less storms and less hurricanes. They say it will cause more storms, but they never say how. That's because they are lying. Storms and hurricanes are caused when a warm air front and a cold air front collide. On land it becomes a thnderstorm, and on the ocean it can morph into a hurricane. If the atmosphere is warming, then there will be less cold fronts, yes? And less cold fronts means more warm fronts, which means less storms.

Thirdly, tectonic plates are deep underground. How in the world would the weather above ground and in the sky affect the tectonic plates deep beneath our feet? It's nothing but coincidence. One thing most people don't realize is that you can't predict Nature. Nature is probably the most random thing on Earth. At any moment an Earthquake can hit, a volcano can erupt, a hurricane can form. It can't be accurately predicted nor can it be controlled. People try to link Natural occurences to something so they think they know the cause and gives themsome sort of false sense of control. People don't like not having any kind of control over things, so they will try to rationalize something happening by blaming it on something else. Hence your question about storms and gloabl warming. We can't control storms, so we try to convince ourselves and everyone else that global warming causes more storms because we THINK we affect global warming and thus have some control over it. We don't but we like to think so because we don't like things being out of our control.

So yes, coincidences. And regardless of what humans end up doing, Nature will heal itself, as it always does. If the climate is getting warmer, it's Nature doing it. But it isn't. Ice isn't melting and flooding us, ocean levels are not rising. We'll get heatwaves, heavy rain, and all sorts of events that some will blame on global warming, but have always been occuring. The Dirty 30's are called that because the 1930's was very hot and there was drought in a lot of places. The difference is that now we think we have an explanation for random things like that occurring, but we don't.
thejam
I do think human's behaviour is affecting the ecosystem's stabiltiy big time. And even IF the weather changes are not caused by humans, its still the way people are completely ****** up this world. I am not a greenpeace fan either, cause those organisations only care for fluffy looking seal like animals. but the excessive way people consume and polute should change big time. there are alternatives, so why should we continue this way? Because nature will find its stability? Its a easy anwser for lazy people, and even if it does, its defenitly not going to work out well for us humans...
I am pretty pessimistic about this whole issue. It doesnt seem to live at all amongst a lot of people. Even on frihost you can find more interaction in topics like "whats your favorite colour m&m?", then issues like this...
deanhills
Quote:
Nature will heal itself, as it always does.

Nice post EDay. Fills everyone with lots of hope. Sincerely hope that you are right about nature healing itself. Seem to think that we are really challenging her to the maximum. Take all the industry all over the world, polluting all the rivers, doing all kinds of things at the bottom of oceans, also up in the air. Just seems to be too many people all over the place too. And too many wars.

But hope you are right. We need lots of that for healing the earth Smile