FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Interesting Facts





pixelwirx
Try this one on for SIZE.
Did you know that you can weigh yourself at the equator, and you would weigh less than at the north pole. This is because the equator is farther from the Earth's center, and the pull of gravity s less.

Here is one more about weight.
A six year old child weighs roughly the same as the air in a small bedroom that is 9x9x8 feet.

What interesting facts do you know?
tony
Yah - the first one makes sense.

I have not heard that about the child. Wow - so lightweight! (i was there once....)
nuzz3
Some amazing facts are that Iron Maiden have existed for an very long time!
And by the way, don't click here for your own best.

Helios: don't post links you don't want people to click on.
KronikSindrome
fact...

There is a law in Illinois that prohibits a number of things, one of which is a public erection, and another one of which is nude dancing. The prohibition against the public erection has never been challenged in the Supreme Court, but the prohibition against nude dancing has.
Zuex
Facts

In Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk

In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.

The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset.
Yantaal
I love forgotten laws.

If you run over a deer, you can't pick it up, but the person driving behind you can.

Every sunday after church boys should practise archery

Taxis should legally carry a bail of hay. (for the horses)
orrvaa
The formula to calculate your body weight is:

W = mg

W = Weight
m = Mass
g = Gravity

so, the stronger the gravity is, so is your weight ^^
James_Hicks
I learned that the opposite of tall is not short. Rather the opposite of tall is deep. The opposite of short would be shallow. Every opposite has a center point, zero is a good example. Say you have a rock six feet in front of you and a rock six feet behind you. You would be zero, the center point. 180 degrees and there is your opposite. Now just take this idea from the horizontal view & look at it vertical, your rock is six feet in the air while the other is six feet underground.

So short cannot be the opposite of tall because short is in the same vicinity as tall from the defining center point. Hence, the word same. If it is the same then it cannot be an opposite if it is of the "same" direction.

-6 feet _ 0 _ +6 feet Deep to Tall
-3 feet _ 0 _ +3 feet Shallow to Short
HIPHOP
did you know.....

telling someone dont do it usually makes them do it. For example check this out. Dont think of a pink elephant....amazing but true most of you who read this just finished thinking about a pink elephant its weird to explain but it just happens....>>>>WEIRD
ankitdatashn
Hey Yaantal I dont get your laws, have you made them yourself, so have not also mentioned where they are practised Smile

Any ways now my turn, Do you all know there is a word known as Postponed in Standard english dictionary, but no word such as Pre-Poned, I have tried many a places to find the antonym for postponed but to no avail, please help me out anyone...
nilsmo
pixelwirx wrote:
Try this one on for SIZE.
Did you know that you can weigh yourself at the equator, and you would weigh less than at the north pole. This is because the equator is farther from the Earth's center, and the pull of gravity s less.


According to Wikipedia, the Earth's equatorial radius is 6,378.1 km and the Earth's polar radius is 6,356.8 km. Using Newton's law of universal gravitation (the inverse square rule), one sees that if you weigh 120 pounds at the equator, you will weigh about 120*(6356.8^2 / 6378.1^2) = 119 pounds on the North pole.

James_Hicks wrote:
I learned that the opposite of tall is not short. Rather the opposite of tall is deep. The opposite of short would be shallow.


What you are using as your center point is ground level and you are thinking in terms of absolute height. However there is still logic (although a bit more abstract) behind saying the opposite of tall is short: here the center point is average height of people, and we are thinking in terms of human height distribution.

pixelwirx wrote:
A six year old child weighs roughly the same as the air in a small bedroom that is 9x9x8 feet.


According to Google Calc, 9x9x8 feet is about 18.35 cubic meters, which translates into about 24 kg since air measures 1.3 kg / m^3, so you are about right.

Along those lines, here's an interesting fact: at ground level, 14.7 pounds of force of air pressure are pushing down for every square inch. The atmosphere is very heavy.
Bondings
ankitdatashn wrote:
Any ways now my turn, Do you all know there is a word known as Postponed in Standard english dictionary, but no word such as Pre-Poned, I have tried many a places to find the antonym for postponed but to no avail, please help me out anyone...

I don't think there is anything better than bring forward or advance.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1O998-postpone.html
PatTheGreat42
That damn equator thing makes no sense the way you tried to explain it. Gravity isn't dependant on your distance from the center of the earth; there isn't some magical gravity ball sitting there keeping us all on the surface. Gravity is dependant on the amount of mass below you. So do you weigh more on top of a mountain or in a valley? On top of a mountain because there's a huge friggin' mountain beneath you. If you do weigh less at the equator, it's because of centriwhatever force flinging you out, or maybe the earth is less dense around the middle bits. It's not because you're "farther from the center of the earth."
webpagist81884
Is there a national law for being a good samaritan, or only some states support it.
vineeth
- We are travelling around the sun at a speed of about 100000 KM per Hour and yer we are not aware of that !

- Science proved that matter is nothing but condensed energy. But people still need money, gold, drinks and girls !
tidruG
KronikSindrome wrote:
There is a law in Illinois that prohibits a number of things, one of which is a public erection
What would be interesting is how they'd collect evidence for that. :P

James Hicks wrote:
I learned that the opposite of tall is not short. Rather the opposite of tall is deep. The opposite of short would be shallow. Every opposite has a center point, zero is a good example. Say you have a rock six feet in front of you and a rock six feet behind you. You would be zero, the center point. 180 degrees and there is your opposite. Now just take this idea from the horizontal view & look at it vertical, your rock is six feet in the air while the other is six feet underground.

So short cannot be the opposite of tall because short is in the same vicinity as tall from the defining center point. Hence, the word same. If it is the same then it cannot be an opposite if it is of the "same" direction.

-6 feet _ 0 _ +6 feet Deep to Tall
-3 feet _ 0 _ +3 feet Shallow to Short
That's interesting, but only applies to certain conditions. A man who is taller than me can say that I am shorter than him. But he certainly cannot say that I am shallower or deeper.

HIPHOP wrote:
telling someone dont do it usually makes them do it. For example check this out. Dont think of a pink elephant....amazing but true most of you who read this just finished thinking about a pink elephant its weird to explain but it just happens....>>>>WEIRD
That's not true. When you tell someone not to think about something, they will. That's because most people automatically picturize things they read or hear. It's called visual processing of information. However, if I was to tell you not to do something, you will consider it. Example : Don't eat shit.

ankitdatashn wrote:
Do you all know there is a word known as Postponed in Standard english dictionary, but no word such as Pre-Poned, I have tried many a places to find the antonym for postponed but to no avail, please help me out anyone...
The word you're looking for is "advanced". Example : The exams have been advanced by a week on account of the expected early onset of monsoon.

PatTheGreat wrote:
That damn equator thing makes no sense the way you tried to explain it. Gravity isn't dependant on your distance from the center of the earth; there isn't some magical gravity ball sitting there keeping us all on the surface.
Actually, according to Newton's Law of Gravitation, it really does depend on your distance from the centre of the earth.

PatTheGreat wrote:
Gravity is dependant on the amount of mass below you. So do you weigh more on top of a mountain or in a valley? On top of a mountain because there's a huge friggin' mountain beneath you. If you do weigh less at the equator, it's because of centriwhatever force flinging you out, or maybe the earth is less dense around the middle bits. It's not because you're "farther from the center of the earth."
The technical term for the shape of the world is "geoid". It basically takes into account all the mountains, seas, trenches, valleys and rift valleys of the world. However, all these physical features are negligible when compared to the overal spherical shape of the earth. Assuming the shape of the earth to then be mostly spherical but a little "dented" at the top and bottom, one can conclude that according to Newton's Law of Gravitation, you DO weigh a little different at the equator when compared to the poles.
hofodomo01
Microphallus. I'll be sure to keep that term in my list of usable vocabulary Smile
nilsmo
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
Gravity isn't dependant on your distance from the center of the earth


I'd just like to point out that with your reasoning, when you are in space, you would still be pulled to Earth with the same gravitational force. NO! You would barely feel Earth's gravitational force because you are so much farther away.

What happens is that as you get farther away, the gravity goes down.

As tidruG went over, it seems you have not heard of Newton's law of universal gravitation. It was a great discovery:

Gravity = Mass divided by Distance squared.

Pretty nice formula, eh?
KronikSindrome
fact - captain kirk is : A GAWD Very Happy
MythicalFault
The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.
Pochettino
the best facts, are chuck norris facts Wink
Zombie
A lightning bolt generates temperatures five times hotter than those found at the sun's surface!

So how can someone survive any contact with a lightning bolt??
KronikSindrome
Laughing Norris is awesome....

http://www.toadking.com/6x9=42/Chuck%20Norris%20Action%20Figure.jpg



Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.


There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.


Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits.


The chief export of Chuck Norris is Pain.


There is no chin under Chuck Norris' Beard. There is only another fist.


Chuck Norris has two speeds. Walk, and Kill.


BUT! Captain Kirk is way Gawdlier. fact.


http://simshatner.fanspace.com/
Marineguyfla
I believe the first one, and I've heard it before. The one about a child is just...wierd. Who has that much spare time to do that? Lol

These are very interesting Smile
misterXY
orrvaa wrote:
The formula to calculate your body weight is:

W = mg

W = Weight
m = Mass
g = Gravity

so, the stronger the gravity is, so is your weight ^^

Newtons law, Fg = mG
Fg = Force of gravitional pull (Weight)
Mass in kg
& G on the Earth's acceleration is 9.81m/s2 (squared)
elmariohusha
Did you know sharks are immune to every known disease including cancer o.0
Nameless
Fact: Many of the statements in this thread are neither interesting nor facts. (Discuss.)
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
Fact: Many of the statements in this thread are neither interesting nor facts. (Discuss.)


I agree, there are no really interesting facts mentioned here and this category can easilily be exploited, i.e. through doing a simple Google search.
nilsmo
MythicalFault wrote:
The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.

A french equivalent is "Portez ce vieux whisky au juge blond qui fume." It means carry that old whisky to the blond judge who smokes.
ashish2005
That was intersting.

I know one interesting fact as well. I think most of us have heard this already as I got this in a forward email.
- You cannot lick your own elboy.

There were tons more which I used to know but I do not currently remember them. Laughing
georgeodowd
Um. Interesting fact: California is on fire! Ahh!
Anyone else here from California having fun with all these wildfires? The freak lightning storm set at least 300 of them off, but I think the last count was 800+ total. Some of the ones near me were set by arsonists. They must have figured 799 fires weren't enough...
raginggenerals
Thats pretty interesting.

I never knew that,

well, you DO learn something new everyday
Thumpercats
Did you know that humans evolved from apes?
kotterlyn
There;s a law in Kentucky that states you need to bathe at least once yearly.
So sad they don't follow it in my town.
bellebello
Here's some more facts

A paper cannot be folded more than 9 times

Coke was originally green in colour.

A starfish has 8 eyes,one on each leg.

A whale’s heartbeat only averages 9 times every minute.

Only honey will not turn bad forever.

A rose picked during afternoon can survive longer than a rose picked in the morning.
jsarnold
An adult giraffe's tongue is 17 inches long.

It takes up to four hours to hard boil an ostrich egg.

All of the Earth's continents are wider at the north than in the south - and nobody knows why.

For every gallon of sea water, you get more than a quarter pound of salt.

When your face blushes, the lining of your stomach turns red, too.

If your stomach didn't produce a new layer of mucous every two weeks, it would digest itself.

Only 55% of Americans know that the sun is a star.

The most popular Campbell's Soup in Hong Kong is watercress and duck gizzard.
prithvi
KronikSindrome wrote:
fact...

There is a law in Illinois that prohibits a number of things, one of which is a public erection.....


What would be more challenging is............till the time the person is brought to book, he has to sustain the erection
Arty
pixelwirx wrote:
Try this one on for SIZE.
Did you know that you can weigh yourself at the equator, and you would weigh less than at the north pole. This is because the equator is farther from the Earth's center, and the pull of gravity s less.


How much difference is there? O.o"
ankitdatashn
thanks bondings for your reply, bring forward or advance as you said but dont matchup with the rhyme of postponed, after all we are addicted to english because of its rhyming quality too!!

any ways one more fact from my side, do you people know the largest english word that can be found in an standard english dictionary is:

"pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis" pardon me for any spelling mistake, it is a really long word!!
missdixy
KronikSindrome wrote:
fact...

There is a law in Illinois that prohibits a number of things, one of which is a public erection, and another one of which is nude dancing. The prohibition against the public erection has never been challenged in the Supreme Court, but the prohibition against nude dancing has.


Strange that you know this Mad I just moved to Illinois recently so thanks for the heads up!
kristine
Interesting facts Very Happy

I know 1 fact:
On average, a person produces about half a liter of fart gas per day, distributed over an average of about fourteen daily farts. Very Happy
AlcatrazAgony
The first post, first fact, thats amazing, how'd you find that?
Melacos
The milk you find in the supermarket is typically from a cow, and is not made by fx. the milkman. :O

Also, the cow has four stomachs, which make it all a little more impressive really... respect the cow and don't go tilt them over when they're asleep...
jaden7727
wow didnt know that fact! thanks now i do Very Happy
Related topics
Me, myself and I =)
Different web hosts, same TOS
Google’s founders didn’t know html!
50 things you didn’t know!
Facts about India : Proud to be an Indian
25 things you *DON"T* want to know (Trust Me!)
Brainiac
Water found on Saturn's moon
My site/blog
Is Three6Mafia Evil ??
Weather Modifications - INTERESTING
Germany–Argentina, a tournament classic
Share you ''DID YOU KNOW'' Facts
interesting facts from the Quran
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.