FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pratchet lovers

WhistleTurning
Can anyone recall the feeling of well being and statisfaction on finding and reading their first Pratchet book, especially from the Disc World series. Shocked They all show a facinating insight into the workings of both society and individual minds, particularly the early books. The humour is very droll and dry at times but will have you at least chuckling to your self, with outloud expetives said every now and then, totally anoying anyone in the room with you. Embarassed If you want a good read then you have 20-30 books to discover about the disc of a world, supported on the backs of elephants, stood on a giant turtle "swimming" through space Rolling Eyes
TurtleShell
I've read a book or two from the discworld series. Actually, the only one I remember right now is Mort, the kid who is apprenticed to Death. Loved it! It's funny--I had almost forgotten about it...but now that I look back on it, the book was really enjoyable.
WhistleTurning
Surely there are some other guys or dolls who have made the momentous discovery of whats on the elephants back.
deanhills
I read one of his novels "Pyramids" hilarious and most entertaining and had me in stitches of laughing most of the time. My favourite character in the book was the camel called You Bastard, one of the most famous mathematicians ever. He was awesome. The main characters in the book Teppic and Dios were also great, as well as some romance, had great fun with this book.

scherkids
ive read wee free men,and hat full of sky. i liked the first one but the 2nd wasnt great.
TentativeChaos
I've read every single book in the Diskworld series in order. They just never get old. I'm sad though because I heard that Mr. Pratchett is terminally ill, and his next book will be his last. It's very sad.
TurtleShell
terminally ill??? I googled this to see if it was true and didn't find anything.
toadinhishole
He's got early stage alzheimers.
I wept, then laughed when I read interview about it in the papers because he's so down to earth.
Nutteloos
From what I've heard, mr. Pratchett thought he had enough time for at least a couple more novels. Which is great, I've just started reading a couple of Discworld novels and enjoying them very much. I greatly admire his writing style and his attitude towards his illness.
georgeodowd
I've read a couple of the Discworld novels. The most memorable for me was The Truth with Otto the vampire. That had me in tears. Perhaps in part because I knew someone who actually talked like that.
Sphaerenkern
I really like this guy Very Happy he writes really funny without being intellectually undemanding. And it's sooo ingenious. Do you think you can compare him to Douglas Adams?
TurtleShell
Sphaerenkern wrote:
I really like this guy Very Happy he writes really funny without being intellectually undemanding. And it's sooo ingenious. Do you think you can compare him to Douglas Adams?

of course. Both write sci-fi/fantasy humor that reach out to a wide audience in a way that is unpretentious, creative, and genuine. It's a weird niche to have found, but both authors seem to fall into it nicely. They're also different from each other enough that they don't seem to have stolen ideas from each other.
Nameless
IIRC, the first Discworld book I read was one of the earlier ones with Rincewind, I didn't actually enjoy it that much at all. Several years later I saw and quite enjoyed the TV adaption of Soul Music, which lead me to read and enjoy the book, and soon enough I found myself reading every entry I could get my hands on which ... kept me busy for quite a while. Laughing
Nutteloos
georgeodowd wrote:
I've read a couple of the Discworld novels. The most memorable for me was The Truth with Otto the vampire. That had me in tears. Perhaps in part because I knew someone who actually talked like that.

This was actually the first Discworld novel I've read. It got me really hooked now - I've read most of the 'watch' series now, and a couple of others. The books are kind of expensive to import here though, so I'll have to stick with whatever I find in the local libraries.
kutekitten
My favourite character by far is Death, and, although it's probably easy to guess, my favourite book is Mort. I love Pratchett and quote him often, I even put off reading the famous Twilight series because I was in the middle of the first discworld book. I love reading these books, and enjoy being able to chuckle to myself at random moments in my day.
This may be totally off topic, but I love cats, my cat is the biggest suck and has those puss in boots eyes (from shrek) that make it impossible not to go up to her and pet/play with her. It might be because I love cats, but I think that there are two quotes that just about sum up everything you could ever learn about cats:
Quote:
"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.
CATS, he said eventually, CATS ARE NICE.
Terry Pratchett

and
Quote:
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
Terry Pratchett

Most of my favourite quotes are by Death, and if I were to say that to someone who had never read Pratchett, they'd look at me as if I'd just gone mad...
One of my other favourite quotes is:
Quote:
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
Terry Pratchett

and I guess with that I'll end my post Smile
TurtleShell
death is a great character! Maybe that's why Mort is my favorite too--although I really haven't read that many of them. Rincewind is an idiot himself. That's a great quote about cats...they seem as though they would appeal to Death.
crimson_aria
a friend of mine is currently addicted to this. goign to try it out soon.
j00gotpwnd
I recently purchased the first two Discworld novels. I really should get around to reading them. The only Pratchett book I read was Good Omens, but that was also with Neil Gaiman (love his other stuff). Are the books constantly humorous or do they have some serious moments as well? Thanks!
kutekitten
j00gotpwnd wrote:
I recently purchased the first two Discworld novels. I really should get around to reading them. The only Pratchett book I read was Good Omens, but that was also with Neil Gaiman (love his other stuff). Are the books constantly humorous or do they have some serious moments as well? Thanks!

They're usually quite serious, but there are a ton of funny witty moments that tend to stick in your mind. The characters are also funny, but the stories do stick to the main plot, they aren't really based on humour (well most aren't Razz) but like life, the funny parts stick in your mind a lot longer than anything else... lol, hope it helped, and be sure to read those books soon!
j00gotpwnd
Well telling me that they are more on the serious end with humor mixed in will definitely drive me to reading them sooner! Perhaps after I finish the two books I'm on right now!
kutekitten
That's awesome lol, I put off twilight because I was reading the colour of magic at the time lol. Unfortunately that was the reason why it took me forever to borrow the third and fourth book... the twilight rush had begun by then Razz.
At least they're in your list of books now, I hope you enjoy them, if this topic is still open and you're still on here when you finish reading one of them, you'll have to post what you think Smile
j00gotpwnd
I guess I will just have to keep this topic alive! Have you ever been to goodreads.com? I love this website. I keep all of my books organized on there now lol. Anyway have you finished the Twilight series? What are your opinions of them?
kutekitten
I've never heard of goodreads.com, but it looks interesting on first glance... I'll have to look into it a bit Smile
I finished the twilight books quite a long time ago, now that I think about it... I loved them and was obsessed for a time Razz although the obsession with Edward Cullen is starting to annoy me, I love the book, but having a crush on a fictional character seems a bit... rash. But then again, I've seen and probably done much worse.
Twilight is an extremely awesome book which I truly enjoyed reading and truthfully couldn't put down lol.
We certainly will have to keep this topic open, for the sake of Terry Pratchett and for the sake of the people who read it Smile
kutekitten
Does anyone know a place to get pratchett ebooks for free? I once had a ton of pratchett books on my comp, but then it died and I didn't have a backup on it (stupid mistake, but one I won't make again) and I want to get them back, unfortunately I'm broke lol.