FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Copyright Protection

Zuex
Most people that make websites put "Copyright 2008 ------" etc. However they don't have legal copyright, and i was just wondering how you can get copyright protection on your images, web contents, music etc. Do you have to pay? Isit only for a certain period of time? Just give me the general info.

~ Zuex Twisted Evil
Peterssidan
not legal copyright? If you make something for example a website you have the copyrights for that site and you will not even have to state it like many do.
Wijos
Anything you create is copyright to you, unless you infringe a copyright, such as create a product based off another product without legal consent.
Zuex
Really? I thought you have to register your images etc, like in a company you have to register your product etc etc... But if you guys say so.
Wijos
Zuex wrote:
Really? I thought you have to register your images etc, like in a company you have to register your product etc etc... But if you guys say so.

That might refer to patents, where for example, 'iMac' may have a patent created by Apple signed by a 'legal authority' saying that this design or computer layout is copyright to Apple.
polly-gone
No. That isn't how it works.

See, being a pro web designer, I have to know these things! Very Happy

Whenever you create something, e.g. a work of art, a graphic, a poem, a website, etc you have the copyright of it. You are the only person who has the RIGHT to COPY it.

You can go to the US Copyright Office website if you are inside the United States and get a Legalized copyright for 45 bucks. The point of that is so if you write a book or an article, and someone publishes it as their own, you can sue them for any profit they made off of it, but only if you have proof of copyright from the copyright office.

Patents are on ideas for inventions only. There are patents on light bulbs, car engines, computer system, etc.

A trademark is for your TRADEMARK only. Like "Subway... Eat Fresh¸®" is owned by subway and only they can use it. Subway® is also a trademark.

Hope this helps,
-Nick Smile Wink Smile
missdixy
polly-gone wrote:
You can go to the US Copyright Office website if you are inside the United States and get a Legalized copyright for 45 bucks. The point of that is so if you write a book or an article, and someone publishes it as their own, you can sue them for any profit they made off of it, but only if you have proof of copyright from the copyright office.

Hope this helps,
-Nick Smile Wink Smile

So does that $45 fee apply to a whole website, or per webpage? I'm just unsure how it works to copyright something through the copyright office when it's continually updated (like a blog).
apple
this is good info....thanks for sharing people!

*hugs*
polly-gone
They have a special form that is used for websites.

Search around the site.

-Nick Cool Cool Cool
wumingsden
One thing I'll like to add:

Images are copyright to the person that created or took them. So just because your in a photo, it doesn't mean you own the copyright (Y).
Zuex
polly-gone wrote:

Whenever you create something, e.g. a work of art, a graphic, a poem, a website, etc you have the copyright of it. You are the only person who has the RIGHT to COPY it.

Patents are on ideas for inventions only. There are patents on light bulbs, car engines, computer system, etc.

A trademark is for your TRADEMARK only. Like "Subway... Eat Fresh¸®" is owned by subway and only they can use it. Subway® is also a trademark.

Hope this helps,
-Nick Smile Wink Smile

THIS is the answer i was hoping for, thank you Nick.
visualconcepts
okay well this is clear wat is copy right and how can i get my content copyrighted, but the question is that how can i get content copyright in india.
polly-gone
Google is your best Friend!!

-Nick Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
airh3ad
copyright ? well the law of copyright infregment is not legalized i mean not so legalized for my opinion like pictures my friend grab all my pictures was taken in surfing for example .anaway its good to share .hopefully they put my names that im the owner of the picture but they put there name that he is the one take the photo.its juts a simple example of copyright .
ConquerSockets
polly-gone wrote:
Google is your best Friend!!

ahaah yeah right, its sooo true google and wikipedia are our best friends but...
they can be our worst ennemies at the same time Laughing
r4inm4ker
polly-gone wrote:

Hope this helps,
-Nick Smile Wink Smile

this works until now.. but it seems that US government is trying to change some rules by introducing orphan works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_works

and a lot of artists are opposing it, because things could become complicated if its successfully introduced. For example here : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=629108&utm_medium=plugblock&utm_source=cgtalk
Agent ME
airh3ad wrote:
copyright ? well the law of copyright infregment is not legalized i mean not so legalized for my opinion like pictures my friend grab all my pictures was taken in surfing for example .anaway its good to share .hopefully they put my names that im the owner of the picture but they put there name that he is the one take the photo.its juts a simple example of copyright .

Of course copyright law is legalized - companies and people engage in lawsuits all the time over them. Not sure that's exactly what you were trying to say though.
Zuex
Omfg at the Orphan work thingy. Your allowed to take pictures and say its your own if you don't know where it's from?!
How stupid is that Evil or Very Mad
misterXY
What really grinds my gears.... Copyrights are just stupid, what you create, someone else can too. It's like you invented the word "hey" but someone around the world invented it too, everyone has the potential to invented. Wait to one day saying words or laying down is copyright infringement....
polly-gone
misterXY wrote:
What really grinds my gears.... Copyrights are just stupid, what you create, someone else can too. It's like you invented the word "hey" but someone around the world invented it too, everyone has the potential to invented. Wait to one day saying words or laying down is copyright infringement....

You don't copyright inventions. If you write a book, you get it copyrighted because it is yours.

You don't copyright words. You get them trademarked and that doesn't stop anyone from using them. If I got "This is awesome!" Trademarked, all that means is that a company's slogan cannot be "This is awesome." Just like if Bonding got a trademark on FRIhost. People can still say it, it just means that another company can't use that name.

Copyright is important. How much would you like it if you made a website, someone went there, took all the images and content posted it on their own website and said it was theirs. Without a copyright, you have no way to prove that it is yours. They could say it is theirs and there is nothing you could do about it.

catscratches
misterXY wrote:
Copyright is very important. How would else anybody get paid for their work if everybody can just sell it and take all the money themselves, or give it out for free?

EDIT: That Orphan Work sounds really stupid!
raine dragon
Zuex wrote:
Omfg at the Orphan work thingy. Your allowed to take pictures and say its your own if you don't know where it's from?!
How stupid is that Evil or Very Mad

No, you can't say it's your own. You can use it IF you can't track down the copyright holder, as long as you make an effort to find them. Not "this is my work" but "This is work done by an unknown artist" as opposed to being unable to legally use it at all.

When publishing work you haven't created you legally need at the very least, written consent from the artist/copyright holder, however somethings... simply have been stolen so much and so many times online that no one knows who made them anymore. ^^;; This would protect people who wanted to use those things from being sued for not having the artist's name next to it.

missdixy
Wow interesting. I'd never heard of that Orphan Bill that was introduced in March of this year here in the US until now. Thanks that's very useful Smile
justtj
ya i also read the same, quite a shocking move by the govt..
but there are ways out of this Orphan Bill..

There is also a "safe harbor" provision, it states that:

"a safe-harbor for certain limited uses performed without any purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage. The exception would apply only where the user ceased infringement expeditiously after receiving notice of a claim for infringement."

in other words, if someone infringes your work for nonprofit purposes and you pop up and say "um, no, that's mine," they must immediately take it down. Otherwise, the safe harbor provision does not apply, and they must compensate you for their use of the work. Furthermore, if they don't immediately take it down, they're also subject to the No Electronic Theft Act, which establishes criminal penalties for copyright infringement, even when no money changes hands. Nobody is suggesting that the NET Act should go away either.

An orphaned work is a work for which no legitimate rights-holder can be found. If the legitimate rights-holder resurfaces, it is not an orphaned work any more.

for details you can read:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=151832820&blogID=395999920
justtj
airh3ad wrote:

Grabbing pictures is one thing but using them for commercial purpose is another..
This kind of use also creates lots of legal issues,
e.g. u click a pic, and i edit it..
now who owns the rights to it?

I live in india and in our country, not much stress in laid on it.
Sad
kerryworkman
polly-gone wrote:
...You can go to the US Copyright Office website if you are inside the United States and get a Legalized copyright for 45 bucks. The point of that is so if you write a book or an article, and someone publishes it as their own, you can sue them for any profit they made off of it, but only if you have proof of copyright from the copyright office...

In addition to that if you are an artist, or graphic designer, or I would assume even a web designer. You can get a copyright on a body of work created over a given time, for the same price. For example if you create a series of pieces, that are all similar in nature you could copyright them one at a time or the entire series for the same price. Or an even better use, would be to copyright everything you created in 2007 or 2008 for one price (the same $ 45) rather then paying for each individual piece ($ 45 per item).

One other thing to keep in mind about copyright, is that although it does afford you some protection under the law, it is very difficult, and very expensive to enforce. Most artists unless it is obvious, and the party infringing has alot of money to payout, won't go after copyright violaters. It is a very expensive and time consuming process, and many times the money awarded barely covers the legal expense. In addition to that the law states for it to not be a copyright infringement it only has to be a small percentage different then the original (I can't remember the exact figures but somewhere between 30 - 60 %). It is always smart to protect yourself with the copyright office, just be aware, that it is not complete protection. There is always a possability that someone out there will steal your idea, or image, and there is only so much that can be done about it. Unless you just stop creating, it is the chance that all "artist's" take.
deanhills
Hope they will keep it simple on the Web as as soon as they start with too many laws and regulations, next thing we will be charged to surf the Web. So far what I have really enjoyed is the freedom with which I can move around. As well as the freedom to publish Websites and make changes, without having to ask anybody's permission for it. The world is really our oyster. For me it is enough that Copyright belongs to the author. Think that is fairly common sense. As soon as you have to have legal stuff to explain it all in great details, and you have to apply for a whole lot of nonsense, in my mind it becomes complicated. Before we know it law students at Universities will start to write theses on copyright issues, and law firms will start to specialize in Internet law. And then all kinds of things will happen with new Government regulatoins and one has to register for this and that, and pay for this and that. One thing logically leading to another. And finally we find we have less space to move around in. We are no longer anonymous. Big Brother has us by the scruff of our necks. Yuck ...!
gcaughill
Zuex wrote:
Most people that make websites put "Copyright 2008 ------" etc. However they don't have legal copyright, and i was just wondering how you can get copyright protection on your images, web contents, music etc. Do you have to pay? Isit only for a certain period of time? Just give me the general info.
~ Zuex Twisted Evil

I am a web developer in Canada and according to our lawyer if a client's site has "Copyright 200X clientbusinessname. All rights reserved." it makes penalizing copyright offenders much easier.

But if you do not put that statement there it does not mean you give up your copyright protection.

It just means it will be more difficult to enforce your rights.

Now this may be different in other countries, I do not know.
ashish2005
If you look at my websites I have the copyright notice at the end of the page but I do not think that the copyright notice is protecting anything. People just copy and never get caught but I do not think that my sites have anything in them that others will copy and make a profit from. But I put the copyright thing at the bottom of the page because it's like a culture for all the webmasters around the world and there are php softwares which I use and they put the notice at the end.
ccube921
The truth is on the net, unless you are a big company you will almost always get away with copyright infringement, BUT its a horrible thing to do, you basically are draining someone else's money.
carlospro7
Thanks for this topic. I have been wondering about this recently.
pretty-dreamz
I don't know how you could get copyright protection. You can use google. And I think something could be copyrighted for 100 years.
norbert1
the idea of copyright was originally to help progress, but the way it is exploited by just the "happy few" has made it a falure, which we have to live with, because in this world money rules.
molif
interesting subject..

im a web designer myself but after reading the posts, somehow, ive learn somethign new about copyright infringement.. i guess it's important for us and our clients when comes to copyright..

but how important is it..? is copyright necessary for web designers when they design websites for clients..?