FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[RFE] VCS other than CVS?

simplyw00x
Just a quick request; might it be possible at some point in the future to have a VCS other than CVS installed on Frihost? Any would really be fine (Hg, git, svn, bzr, mtn) in order of preference and probably ease of install too). I ask only because I'm trying to work out a solution to updating my website whilst keeping a local mirror, and also to get ikiwiki playing nice (And don't feel like writing a CVS plug-in for it, as CVS is older than I am...)
rvec
I don't think a lot of frihosters will use any of those. But we also have ruby on rails installed on server 1 so there might be a chance you can convince bondings Razz
simplyw00x
Quote:
I don't think a lot of frihosters will use any of those. But we also have ruby on rails installed on server 1 so there might be a chance you can convince bondings Razz

I definitely hope so! I am gagging to get some proper web development done, but I need a real vcs to do it!
polly-gone
Oh geez... I thought I was a computer geek... All I see in that post is lots of letters... Yeah, rvec is right. It doesn't matter to many people. And people actually use Rudy on Rails? Wow...

-Nick Confused Confused Confused
simplyw00x
Quote:
Oh geez... I thought I was a computer geek... All I see in that post is lots of letters...

Wikipedia is your home-boy Very Happy

Quote:
Yeah, rvec is right. It doesn't matter to many people. And people actually use Rudy on Rails? Wow...

If the barrier to it is 'not many people would use it', then I don't necessarily think we should have half the things on Frihost. The poit is that it would possibly *reduce* resource load and so on, because all the changelog managmenet would be done in static files and only updated when things actually change, as opposed to, say, mediawiki, which stores the changelog in a fat-ass mySQL database.