FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

One CPU but multiple Keyboards, Mice, Monitors, Users!

shkhanal
HOW TO SHARE A SINGLE CPU TO RUN MANY STATIONS

By a station I mean here a place equipped with a Monitor, a keyboard, a mouse and any other additional devices such as a headset or speakers & microphone, a web cam.

The one and only purpose of sharing a single CPU with multiple stations is to reduce the initial cost. When you can run 4, 5 stations with a single CPU then why to buy many CPUs unnecessarily?

System Requirement

1. Intel Genuin or Celeron III/IV Processor
Might work with other types of processors too but I worked with Celeron and Intel both types of processors and found no problems. It is true that Celeron processors are a bit slower than Genuin in performance but comparing cost factor Celeron too is acceptable

2. Intel Mother Board or VIA Board
Works well with all types of mother boards. I worked with Intel and VIA board successfully with no problem. Intel Server board provides additional advantages of 6 Expanssion slots and 4 memory banks but the cost is high. Compare the cost and available expanssion slots and memory banks when you choose mother board. I Worked with Intel 845, 865, Intel Server Bord (forgot the serial number might be 945 or I don know), VIA board, Tomato Board successfully

3. RAM
The most important factor in this system is the reliability of RAM. Better the RAM better the performance. I always prefered the Original Hynix RAM. The size of RAM required depends upon the number of stations you are going to add. Roughly you can calculate 64MB (minimum) RAM per station. That is if you are adding two staions then 128 for host and 64 x 2 for stations = 512 MB RAM.

Read More
IllusionSoftware
Won't this cause the computers to slow down? Especially if your using a Pentium 3/4 processor? Unless your talking about running a single CPU like a dedicated server (which is far more powerful than a Pentium Processor) then you might be able to get something working.
shkhanal
No, not at all till most of the system resources we are wasting unused when we are operating a single PC. But if you need to run computer games or those types of software that require nearly 100% CPU or very large amount of RAM, I found problems at that time. Only one station could play those game and other stations were found quite slow. But using general applications and home or office applications quite OK. You can find further details through the vendor.
IllusionSoftware
Oh my bad, I must have not understood what you ment. Thanks for the link, cleared up a lot for me.
shkhanal
Be happy Cool
[FuN]goku
Hmm, i probably wouldnt use this, mostly for the fact that everyone in my house has their own comp anyways.. my dads 2 comps, my 2 comps + my lappy, my sister, and my stepmoms and her lappy.

But, if i was going to use this, i'd probably go out and buy top-of-the-line hardware, like.. Quadcore with 4 gig of ram etc...
asharani_ck
Can i get the complete procedure of developing this type of CPU as i am using this concept for my project.i am doing my project in an industry which manufactures PCB.we are having a master PC in one area.i need a parallel display of master PC which is 60feet from this place without altering the configuration of master CPU.i thought of connecting this type of CPU to a Master CPU using some bus and then connecting it to 2 monitors and keyboards.WILL IT WORK FINE? Question Question Please reply..