FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why does google want to start another "facebook" /

mountview
This is just another way to waste precious time

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8785&tag=nl.e550
datter
Facebook reminds me of ICQ (remember that?). It started off simple and clean, and because of that became essential. Then, as time wen ton it got more and more bloated, overblown and unwieldy until it became an afterthought.

I stopped using Facebook just before all the "application" nonsense started, here's hoping Google's version will stay simple and clean.
Srs2388
there are so many things like myspace,facebook. all the social networking. Thing is people will still join them even if they have 10+ other's going already.
bonestorm74
Because they want to take over everything I guess. Why take a slice of the pie when you can have the whole thing?
missdixy
Because Google is smart and tries to get involved in as many things in the internet as possible to make more money. Not saying I agree, but hey, it's a business.
a.Bird
I agree with you Missdixy, Google has become quite a successful business. I'm pretty sure that most of their revenue comes from advertisements which would be quite amazing if I'm correct because Google ads are typically known to be quite discrete compared to others.

I have nothing against Google and any attempt they might have at dipping their fingertips in the hot craze of internet social networks. In fact, I really don't have anything against Facebook for that matter. I don't agree with those who blame Facebook and other internet establishments for petty criticisms as if those who complain are owed something from these websites.
SpellcasterDX
Cause Google wants to dominate the internet completely. Literally. Every aspect of it. Razz

But really, it's not like they're the only ones doing it. There are lots of social networking sites popping up over the internet.

However, Google should do well considering how popular it already is.
rightclickscott
Networking sites are a cash cow for advertising, and since that's how Google makes all of it's money, I think it'd be a good idea. Hell, I'd make a GSpace page, or whatever they want to call it.
driftingfe3s
mountview wrote:
This is just another way to waste precious time

Why does any company do what it does? to make more money. It may be a waste of time for you, but its money int he bank for google.
carlospro7
man, i don't like that there are a ton of social networks, i don't like having accounts in different sites that have the same purpose. Then how can you connect with your friends if everyone is in a different network? Google better have a good plan.
Ghost Rider103
Yeah it is kind of dumb when we have so many different social networking sites, that some of our friends only have account on myspace, which you want to only use facebook, forcing you to use myspace. This gets kind of annoying, and just shows that we have too many social networking websites.
Abfc
Why do we even need a first FaceBook? Isn't zero enough?
bigdan
Google can do what they like, as can you. If they want to start up a rival to Facebook, MySpace, et. al., that's fine. If you don't want to sign-up, that's fine too. It's your choice.
xtupie
MONEY!!!!
gr8inferno
Google is huge! , they always want to capitalize on the new trend. oogle might even buy Yahoo! for crying out loud.
Seiji
Why aren't they trying to make something like myspace. I used Facebook and I didn't even think it was that popular, mostly everyone on there had left awhile ago. Myspace is still booming though and almost everyone uses it.
[FuN]goku
Maybe google wants to rule teh internetz Razz
KatanaSky
datter wrote:
Facebook reminds me of ICQ (remember that?). It started off simple and clean, and because of that became essential. Then, as time wen ton it got more and more bloated, overblown and unwieldy until it became an afterthought.

I stopped using Facebook just before all the "application" nonsense started, here's hoping Google's version will stay simple and clean.

I like Facebook A LOT - I am all for clean and simple... and I think it's a lot more clean compared to Myspace. I'm curious to what Google's going to try and do but right now Facebook is my favorite social network.
stiirr
I thInk google aalready have its facebook kind of website ORKUT its used mostly in INDIA and brazil
Its sleek and good loooking than facebook. It started adding new applications.becoming little clumsy then.But well i am eagerly waiting for its new launch .whatever google launches its great even if they earn money from it.
mattyj
Google wants to make money like any company, and that is a great way for them to make money

Why did Google start a search engine when excite and yahoo already existed?

Why did other people start making cars after Henry Ford?

Plus competition always makes things better, it will force Facebook and MySpace to keep making improvements to the services to do better than google...
Ghost Rider103
[FuN]goku wrote:

Sure seems like it, they are making great progress too.

Well, their not as bad as Microsoft, seems like they are trying to rule the world. I think they might let google rule the internet, but Microsoft will one day rule the world.

Laughing
iKorean
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
[FuN]goku wrote:

Sure seems like it, they are making great progress too.

Well, their not as bad as Microsoft, seems like they are trying to rule the world. I think they might let google rule the internet, but Microsoft will one day rule the world.

Laughing

Haha.
Virgin = Will Rule The Internet.
Havent You Heard?
Google Will Be Obsolete.
justtj
Google doesn't want to start another Facebook..
it just wants to integrate everything it can into a GRID..

anyone seen the movie epic 2014
or epic 2015?

see
www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/epic

this was made 2-3 years back and it predicted a lot..
and some of it has come true..
for rest wait..
justtj
stiirr wrote:
I thInk google aalready have its facebook kind of website ORKUT its used mostly in INDIA and brazil
Its sleek and good loooking than facebook. It started adding new applications.becoming little clumsy then.But well i am eagerly waiting for its new launch .whatever google launches its great even if they earn money from it.

i agree...
orkut had around 80% users from Brazil..
but the thing it, it started in Stanford Razz
hehe..

and people hardly use it there..
apple
I have never liked myspace or hi5 much....too confusing to me.

Facebook however has been my networking home since the very 1st use.

I'm very interested to see what google will do, cause judging from the kinda stuff they put out, facebook is gonna get a serious run for their money!
J-Evil
It won't fly. Google is jumping into this waay too late.
vineeth
We have orkut, myspace, ibibo, hi5 and numerous community websites... Do we need to add one more to the list? Even now the problems of creation to fake profiles in Orkut is a big issue in India.
SpellcasterDX
justtj wrote:
Google doesn't want to start another Facebook..
it just wants to integrate everything it can into a GRID..

anyone seen the movie epic 2014
or epic 2015?

see
www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/epic

this was made 2-3 years back and it predicted a lot..
and some of it has come true..
for rest wait..

Somehow I think that's stupid.
I'm sorry, but it was telling stuff that already happened, not stuff that will happen.
friuser
I think it's a great idea. Privacy aside, google can provide everything in one place. Since facebook doesn't respect privacy theres no real reason why you would want to stick with facebook in the first place. Orkut never caught on but this application sounds like the ticket.
molif
if google do it, i think it will be great.. much better than facebook.. in terms of simplicity.. facebook is just too........ complex.. and irritating, i shall say... its not pleasant to load someone's profile who had dozens of applications on its profile..