FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Grand Theft Auto IV- what do you think.

pixelwirx
Does this game rock or does it frighten you.

Following its release, the game received overwhelmingly positive reviews, and is the highest-rated video game of all-time, according to critic review aggregator Game Rankings. GTA IV sold about 3.6 million units on its first day of release and grossed more than $500 million in its first week, breaking the first-week sales record of $300 million set by Halo 3.

Quote:
The Grand Theft Auto series has been a source of considerable controversy since the release of Grand Theft Auto III. Some controversy can be attributed to publicist Max Clifford, who planted sensational stories in tabloids in order to help sell that game

I would like opinion of our community on this particular game.
QrafTee
Why would it frighten anyone? It's a game. However, as a game it's a great one. The grandness of Liberty City gives the players lots to do upon the main storyline. Side-stories/side-missions and relationship building events give Grand Theft Auto IV something to do at every single hour of Liberty City. Although turfs and airplanes have been taken away, it hasn't affected the game negatively. I can't wait until Grand Theft Auto IV: San Andreas (people who've been to the GTAIV website knows what I mean).
pixelwirx
The word frighten is used primarily, in response to the media. I personally believe it is a great game.
David_Pardy
I have to wait until it comes out on PC Sad
driftingfe3s
I don't care what kind of tactics were used to promote the game. I think it's one of the best games I've played. The characters are very likable and the story line, although simple, is compelling for some reason. GTA4 probably has the most detailed and realistc city ever created for a game.

I've been playing it for hours since the day it came out. There's so much to do, especially with the acheivments on the 360 version.
Kelcey
I loved it at first. Now I'm getting sick of the really long cut scenes. The missions are becoming repetitive. It sucks when you fail a mission near the end, that you have to REDO everything. That could involve just driving a car for 5 minutes to some place to pick up a weapon, then driving 5 more minutes to where the action takes place.
IllusionSoftware
It's a real good game. Done very well. This is one of the best games yet. I haven't had a chance to explore mutliplayer as much since I'm working on the story, but so far the story seems pretty good. I'm really excited to finish the game.
Landau
It looks incredible, but im gona have to wait until it until it comes out on pc like Dave Pardy. I dont have an xbox 360 Sad. Hope it comes out soon, but i doubt that it will. As long as you can swim im happy. San Andreas was too big i think though. Which is strange critiscicm. But it was so annoying driving thru the country to crash, and then have to walk for 10 mins to get to a town.

GTA 3 was really good, although i find when u play for ages, the maps feel so small. Vice City was probly the most enjoyable so far. Dont get me wrong though, the air planes in San Andreas were great, and the parachuting down, the planes and turbo'd up cars. It was a great game. And great voice actors. But... it was too big i think. Still loadsa fun though
marrs
David_Pardy wrote:
I have to wait until it comes out on PC Sad

French site Jeuxpo reports that Grand Theft Auto IV will be released on PC in Europe this October. Though they do not offer any specific sources, they do cite retail plans. Neither Rockstar, nor Take Two has confirmed this to be true, but as one can expect, the PC version should be out within six to eight months of the game’s console release.

Fingers crossed it comes to the pc,every other version has been adapted so far.
marc781
WOW! The PS3 version of GTAIV totally rocks! This game really deserve a 10/10 ratings! Great GAME! This is a must buy game!
[FuN]goku
Hmm.. haven't tried the game yet, although alot of my friends have. They say it's pretty good.
brokenadvice
A-mazing. I love it. It is not just about killing people anymore. You can choose if and how to kill most people (you still have to kill a few). I think it is funny when he gets on a motorcycle and puts a helmet on, and then I proceed to run people over and then run myself off the road.
QrafTee
Kelcey wrote:
I loved it at first. Now I'm getting sick of the really long cut scenes. The missions are becoming repetitive. It sucks when you fail a mission near the end, that you have to REDO everything. That could involve just driving a car for 5 minutes to some place to pick up a weapon, then driving 5 more minutes to where the action takes place.

I don't think you've played the previous GTA3 series games since their missions were MUCH harder, LESS forgiving, and redoing a whole mission was A LOT more frustrating. Be happy GTA4 was toned down as much as it was.
spinout
I agree that the PS3 version is splendid!!!! More to say is that I seldom enjoy gunfights as good as in this game - N the vehicles!
kicy
Kelcey wrote:

Uh just use a helicopter you will get there in no time, duh.
andersonshatch
I haven't played any GTA games before this one but so far (I'm about 27% through, I think) it isn't amazing; nothing to write home about.

I enjoy just driving around and messing about but I haven't really had any good missions yet.... Perhaps they are yet to come?
I've kinda lost the motivation to play it and probably won't play it again until the summer.

A few of my friends have said that the others were better than IV.... (mission wise); is that the general consensus?
georgeraias
i think its the best game ever!!!!!
oh,i can't wait to play it Razz
gr8inferno
Crap , thats what I think of it. Graphics definitely a + but the contents of it I disagree. its disgusting and no way I'm gonna play it.
lastelement0
i enjoy this game a lot. can find myself playing for a couple hours at a time. just the one thing that turns me off is how there isn't any checkpoints especially with the longer missions. if you die/fail you start right back at the beginning. for example im trying to do the bank robbing mission with mcreary. however its so long that i was just trying to lose my wanted level so i can reach my dropoff and i died. do i start back in the middle somewhere? nope. all the way back to the beginning. its just rediculous. i would of thought with something of this magnitude they could at least throw in some checkpoints in the longer more in depth missions.

it seems arbitrary but it does cause frustration and make me turn off the console cuz i can't go through the same mission twice in a row especially if its going to take some time.
00chaos8
became one the best reviewed games of alltime if you go to gamerankings.com. But anyway I owned gta 4 and I love it. The single player is just so much fun, however I dont like much of the multiplayer.
MetalWolf92
I want this game so bad. It looks so much better than all the other Grand Theft Auto games. I will buy it when I get the money. Wink
R4J4H-D4T-808
I think Rockstar has made the best GTA game i like this game alot the graphics is just insane and the online play is even more insane
Feroc1ty
Best game ever created, even the damn racing is good, the single player is amazing, and I'm not even going to begin talking about mutliplayer.
spinout
I got the PS3 version - I bet the framerate is better on the 360 but you can zoom out on the select button n then get a good one. Besides from the framerate (they still have to learn to program the PS3) the game is excellent Smile I have just played for some hours, but I still havn't found a way to be a cabdriver or do others vehicle missions as in the older games.
The copoutruns have gotten much better with the map in the left hand. You drive as mad!!!!! to get away. Only to smash into a thing n do a ragdoll crash Smile

Also the vehicle sim is much improved - delisious!!!!!

I wont give it a 10 - perhaps a 9 or 8 cos of the framerate on the PS3. Still I cant stand a 360s noicelevel so the choise was simple! But besides that - the best game in that genre!
HamsterMan
Yeah, can't wait for it to come out for pc either. The 360 and PS3 version is a tad bit too low-fps for me.
R4J4H-D4T-808
HamsterMan wrote:
Yeah, can't wait for it to come out for pc either. The 360 and PS3 version is a tad bit too low-fps for me.

WHAT man are u crazy it well be more crappy on PC then on 360 and PS3 not saying they suck on those consels
HamsterMan
R4J4H-D4T-808 wrote:
HamsterMan wrote:

WHAT man are u crazy it well be more crappy on PC then on 360 and PS3 not saying they suck on those consels

Well, no. A good pc is always going to be ahead of the last generation consoles. And by good it doesn't even have to be that expensive either.
So then I just hope the version that is going to be released for PC isn't one of those dumbed-down console versions.
justinr
I believe that the game is well made but lacks the "punch" of the previous offerings. The game lacks much of the "shock" that made the previous games a lot of fun! While the game engine has been updated, too much "realism" has been implemented which detracts from the pure fun of the game. In addition, there are far too many cut scenes. The main characters are incredibly uninteresting and have very annoying voices.

With all this said, there is still enough meat in the game to provide an enjoyable experience. There has been an incredible amount of effort made to ensure that every detail is vibrant. Individual characters (by-standers) have lots of personality and there are plenty of side quests to keep you busy for a long time.

Honestly, I'd suggest buying Rock Band over GTA4. Rock Band is a lot more _fun_, which is something that GTA4 has shed in favor of realism.
Zombie
OMG it's repetitive, and the driving is different. Although I like the driving controls now that I've gotten used to it, but it feels very different. It's like a different game or something. It would dissappoint it's GTA kin, but I enjoy it for bails and flipping.
Faraz
I wish they release it on PC soon. I don't have consoles, and I've heard so many good things about the game. =(
ayour
marrs
Expectations were so high for Grand Theft Auto IV that one of the biggest surprises is that it's managed to meet them. That it's also gone on to confound these is truly a marvel, and the game's Liberty City is nothing less than one of the greatest videogame worlds yet conceived.
spinout
hm, I played 3 more hours this weekend... I could outrun the cops at 3 stars! and the driving now does really work ok. why this nag about the cutscenes? What do you want - a subline ?

My only concern is the framerate...

Heh I havn't unlocked any parts yet of the landscape - but I did a swim for it!!! yes - 6 stars n cops allaround! I came a good bit into the next level without being dead!!!
aspeckinc
i am really fond of using the motorcycle in the GTA series and i was quite amzed that they promoted motorcycle "safety" in the current GTA IV by letting Niko use a helmet while riding a motorcycle.
powerfusion66
I 'm looking foward playing the game on PC.
It's a shame pc gamers have to wait that long ...damn piracy. Razz
Tumbleweed
Bought it played it to completion.....ok I have not done the all the stunt jumps, killed all the pigeons, or collected the hidden packages, and I dont think I will, the multiplayer has been far to laggy for me which leaves this game with no real replay value, its a great game .. for a week Crying or Very sad
tamer1
!nice
Nutteloos
ayour wrote:

Didn't they implement a similar thing to San Andreas, where after you failed a mission you could 'skip ahead' to the hard part of a mission when restarting it? I know it was in most missions that involved a lot of driving.
haydxn
i've been fairly impressed with the game, but it still has many of the undefinable aspects of san andreas that made it so much more tedious for me than Vice City was. The stuff with the girlfriends, and forcing you to do some of those minigames (some are really frankly rubbish) just bored the crap out of me. Plus, missions where you have to do long stretches of driving can be boring. Similarly, the challenges you can do (races, etc..) can be fairly lazily knocked up [5 boring laps of some section?]. However, the story is interesting enough, and it does have a good handle on giving you a sense of empathy for the protagonist and his situation. As always, there is a ton to do, and it can be a lot of fun, but I still find it quite repetitive. I personally prefer games with a touch more of an arcadey pace.
rickinyorkshire
Fanbloodytastic game, i i always make an hour or two for myself on an evening for a roam around causing mayhem, still only on 59% so while to go to completing it.
Firilacroco
I'm waiting for the PC version. I hope it'll be released soon.

Or I'll search for a XBox 360 virtual machine
kilotun
its the best so great. and with multi player online its incredibly fun. can play all day on that =D but only the chopper wich is lame but theres more to come ime sure. but over all vary fun and realistic.
Wuppie
This game is very good (one of the best games ever created), but many people exaggerate the cons of this game.
ayour wrote:

-Long cutscenes can be annoying but the story of GTA4 is great so watching cutscenes is no problem for people that really wanna follow the story.
-Why is redoing a mission so bad? I remember games like mario, where 3 lives are all you have, if you lose them you'll have to start all over. It can get frustrating to do a mission over and over again but maybe you just have to try harder to complete it and doubt if you're skilled anough Wink