FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cartographic Art

quex
Okay, this might be a strange hobby, but... I've got a thing for maps. Maps as art are interesting to me because they are both beautiful and functional. Even if you don't think there's any appeal, may I please direct you to the following:

Strange Maps
A site with a long history of collecting the most unusual, creative, or screwed-up examples of cartography. Worth a look for anyone.

All Streets project by Ben Fry
A complete map of every street in the lower 48 states of the US. No rivers, mountains, or any other topographic features are drawn on the map, but they appear out of the network of roads and byways. Fascinating graphic approach.

Paula Scher
A famous graphic designer whom I've had the pleasure of meeting once, Paula Scher makes maps out of words. They are insightful when you sit down and read them...

Any other good map links out there? Please share!
WhistleTurning
Some of the strangest maps I have come across have been those from a byegone age. The Mappa Mundi for instance looks very weird. Other old maps have big gaps were explorers had yet to visit, and thus also had funny coastal outlines. Perhaps the best of all are the early UK maps with drawings of architectural features as well as little hills and mountains.
quex
WhistleTurning wrote:
Perhaps the best of all are the early UK maps with drawings of architectural features as well as little hills and mountains.

I love these... and the ones that illustrate rough currents with sea-serpents. Do you know of any good sites that collect these?
Zuex
Heyyy
Zuex >> Quex
Twisted Evil

I believe Paula Scher's artwork is very nice, that Africa map must have taken ages? Rolling Eyes
quex
Yo Zuex, are you from FARK.com? XD