FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Determining Unique Users

Kelcey
Hey everyone,

So I was thinking... How are users actually banned from a site? By that, I'm asking what exactly is recorded to prevent the user from signing up on the site again? I'd think IP, but aren't there like ways around the ip like using a proxy or whatever? I was just curious as to what exactly is being implemented when a user is banned from something like a forum.

Thanks
rvec
somethimes ip, somethimes ip range, sometimes mail or username.

Depends a lot on the kind of ban. Mostly a ban on username will do because the user has to start over again or start on another forum.
Kelcey
Well I guess I should be more specific. Say you didn't want the user to be able to sign up for the service/forum/whatever again... then would a specific ip ban do the job (until the person logs on from some other location)... or could they simply just use a proxy to keep making usernames to screw around with the service/forum. If so, are there a list of proxies you can ban from signing up on your site?
rvec
it's not really possible to ban those users.
I have a list of about 50 proxies and a couple of those email services that give you a temporary email. I don't think it's possible to ban those members.