FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Happy Mother's Day

whitehole
...to all you mothers. And if you forgot, go say it to the ladies in your life right now!
rafifaisal
Just a small question: Is mothersday celebrated everywhere ?
SpellcasterDX
To rafifaisal: Maybe. Not necessarily on the same day though.

For example Mexican mothers celebrate Mother's Day on May 10th, regardless of what weekday it lands on.

Anyway, Happy Mother's Day, Frihost!
mathiaus
You crazy foreigners with your crazy dates for celebrations Razz
Peterssidan
Isn't the point with that day to celebrate the mothers? Is there any mothers here? This day is on different days around the world so I wasn't expecting it now :p
BPrice
it is true that mothers day is celebrated on different days around the world and to prove it here are the dates for all countries

Second Sunday in February
Norway

February 2
Greece. Corresponds to the Eastern Orthodox feast day of the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple. Since the Theotokos (The Mother of God) appears prominently in this feast as the one who brought Christ to the Temple at Jerusalem, this feast is associated with mothers. However, today many Greeks are beginning to observe Mother's Day as rendered by the West.
Shevat 30 (falls anywhere between January 30 and March 1) Israel

March 3
Georgia

March 8
Afghanistan, Albania*, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria,Laos, Macedonia*, Moldova*, Montenegro, Romania*, Russia*, Serbia**, Ukraine, South Korea, and Vietnam. *In Albania, Belarus, Bulgaria, Guyana, Italy, Macedonia, Mongolia, Russia, and Ukraine it is observed as International Women's Day, not specifically Mothers' day.
Fourth Sunday in Lent (Mothering Sunday - March 2 in 2008) Ireland, Nigeria, United Kingdom

March 21 (vernal equinox)
Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Lebanon, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, United Arab Emirates, Yemen (All Arab countries in general)

March 25
Slovenia

April 7
Armenia

April 2 (Chinese calendar)*
China Baisakh Amavasya (Mata Tirtha Aunsi) Nepal

First Sunday in May
Hungary, Lithuania*, Portugal, Spain

May 8
Albania (Parents' Day), South Korea (Parents' Day).

May 10
El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico

Second Sunday in May - (May 11 in 2008)
Anguilla, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bermuda, Bonaire, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, People's Republic of, China, Republic of (Taiwan), Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Curaçao, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Honduras, Iceland, India, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Latvia*, Malta, Malaysia, Myanmar, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Slovakia, South Africa, St. Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Singapore, Suriname, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Ukraine, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela, Zimbabwe

May 15
Paraguay

May 26
Poland

May 27
Bolivia

last Sunday in May
Algeria, Dominican Republic, France (except if it coincides with Pentecost day, in which case Mother's Day will be shifted to the first Sunday of June), Haiti, Mauritius, Morocco, Sweden, Tunisia.

May 30
Nicaragua

June 1
Mongolia (The Mothers and Children's Day. Mongolia is the only country that celebrates Mother's day twice a year.)

2nd Sunday of June
Luxembourg

Last Sunday of June
Kenya

August 12
Thailand (the birthday of Queen Sirikit Kitiyakara)

August 15 (Assumption Day)
Antwerp (Belgium), Costa Rica

Second Monday in October
Malawi

October 14
Belarus

Third Sunday in October
Argentina (Día de la Madre)

Last Sunday of November
Russia

December 8
Panama

16 December, Iranian calendar: 25 Azar (Mother And Child Foundation) Iran

December 22
Indonesia

hope no one forrgets when their day comes around.
lethaltriad
A happy mothers day to all mothers.. its mothers day here in jamaica now.. May 11th
pll
in canada it's may 10th too!
or the third sunday of june maybe ?
I'm not too sure..... but it's today!! So don't forget to give a flower for your mother!
mrcafaro
Took my mommy out to lunch and got her a boardgame. Was a very exciting and fulfilling day for me (and her)
Crinoid
Quote:
Just a small question: Is mothersday celebrated everywhere ?

Nope: you can see the details in Wikipedia, including migration from historical roots to commercialization and raising sales, with development by country.

In the detailed post above the information about my country of origin is incorrect (not a critique, just a note), unless it is some last years innovation: at least 4 generations didn't heard about it.

There is different logic in it:

1. Promoting a single day for making a visit and buying a gift, with emphasis in ads on freeing her for a single evening from physical manual labor: cleaning and cooking. I find these ads offensive, not honoring.

And forget about if for a whole year, until Christmas, with almost constantly bringing to attention of the viewers the mother blame (on TV) during most other days of an year.

And after all listed above, pointing foreigners, that it is not good not to have a Mother's Day - that how my yesterday Mother's Day was spoiled.

2. And the another way (from many other ways): do not make a national holiday and do not offend. All year round. Mutual help and close involvement in life, instead a couple of formal visits an year.

With no mother blame campaign, just like there are no blaming, based on race. ethnicity, sex, disability or sexual orientation.

Yep, us - craizy foreigners Laughing
Cheers!
Liu
So what did you get all for your lovely mothers?
nilsmo
A lot of countries celebrated Mother's day yesterday.

Acoording to Wikipedia:

Quote:
Anguilla, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bermuda, Bonaire, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, People's Republic of, China, Republic of (Taiwan), Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Curaçao, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Honduras, Iceland, India, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Latvia*, Malta, Malaysia, Myanmar, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Slovakia, South Africa, St. Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Singapore, Suriname, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Ukraine, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela, Zimbabwe
airh3ad
Happy Mothers day nanay/mother thanks for evrything and all the support you give to me , my mam is my bestfriend alltime..i love my mam..
Agent ME
I helped my mother assemble a new birdcage and stand for one of our parrots. Didn't really do anything special.
raine dragon
I got some flowers and made my mother giant waffles with strawberries and whipped cream for breakfast. ^_^

I never know what to get her, she has everything so I thought I'd make a nice breakfast and surprise her that way instead of buying her a new blouse that she would hate and then, still wear just to make me feel better x_x;;;
bonestorm74
I'm a bit late, but a happy mother's day from me also to all the ladies out there.
hofodomo01
Haha I'm at college right now, and I usually don't call my parents, but this was one of the few times I'm compelled to call them first Smile

Though a lot of ppl here forget about mothers day entirely because of the ridiculously crazy college scavenger hunt event that goes on....
Lady Elensar
Why not a happy mother's day every day? Sad if something's commercial, it is this day! I don't like giving here presents because this day tells me I should. Lucky she neither does. No way. Prefer a random day, which would be a big suprise.
xtupie
I am late with my 50 cents worth but THNAAKS to mothers good or bad we are here. Without them we would not see the light of day and remember they went through a lot to bring us into this world. So I am THANKFUL to my mother, I do not know what I would be without her!!

Love you MOM!!!! xxxx