FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

graphic formats

Conikair
Just wondering, what is the general opinion on the best graphic format to use widely on a site? I'm using PNG's now but I'm not sure if there is a better alternative.
mathiaus
I used to use pngs for everything but I found they saved colours differently to how browsers displayed them or something so I swapped and use either gifs or jpgs. bmps a big no no.
Conikair
OK, the only thing with me is that I found out that text messes up in .jpegs and photos mess up in .gifs. Rolling Eyes
Cridiron
I'd go with .gif's on logos and buttons, and .jpegs on actual photos
Conikair
OK, thanks. Smile
salvojure
Cridiron wrote:
I'd go with .gif's on logos and buttons, and .jpegs on actual photos

Me too. Gifs are smaller in byte and buttons can be pretty cool animated. I often see png used for buttons but when used on dark background, I find that the edges look like you didn't do a good erasing job in photoshop..

As regards photos, PNG preserves the quality AND bytes, so I prefer Jpegs
Astrolopitecos
All depends on what are u doing and ur objective, u'll should use png, jpg and gif, depends only in what ur doing to your images Smile

stay well Cool
jebdm09
.jpg files are best for photographs and images that are meant to look very realistic. This is because jpegs use a "lossy" compression scheme, meaning that exact color values are lost in order to compress the value. So, the jpeg, when being viewed, assigns pixels close to what they actually were. As no colors are exact in real life, this makes images look more realistic.

.gif files are better for flat images, such as banners, cartoons, logos, etc. They use a lossless compression, but depend on colors to come in large areas in order for the file to compress. You can't have more than 256 unique colors in a .gif, however. .gif's can also be animated and transparent

.png are somewhere inbetween. They use a lossless compression scheme, but can have an infinite number of unique colors. I like .png, but full support for them is lacking in some browsers. They have support for alpha transparency, which allows things to be partially transparent. I also like pngs because they are open source. They are best for things which are a mix of realism and flat pictures, or for large cartoons and banners with high quality which are not photograph based. You can use them in place of .jpg's, but the file size generally will be larger.
Ranfaroth
Except for animation, there is no one single reason to use the deprecated GIF instead of PNG
jebdm09
Ranfaroth wrote:
Except for animation, there is no one single reason to use the deprecated GIF instead of PNG

Actually, there are several possible reasons. Some older browsers don't support or don't fully support PNG. So if your site is intended for a less tech-savvy audience (such as older folks who have to get their grandbabies to hook them up to the WWW) who are quite possibly still running IE4 or earlier *gasp*, they might have some trouble viewing the images.

Or maybe for some reason you're using a image editor that doesn't support PNG, or if you have to work on a school/work computer which doesn't have a PNG editor...
Ranfaroth
jebdm09 wrote:
Actually, there are several possible reasons.
Let's see if we find one valid reason Wink
Quote:
Some older browsers don't support or don't fully support PNG. So if your site is intended for a less tech-savvy audience (such as older folks who have to get their grandbabies to hook them up to the WWW) who are quite possibly still running IE4 or earlier *gasp*, they might have some trouble viewing the images.
INVALID : old browsers support at least a subset of PNG which is still better than GIF. The only advanced feature of PNG not supported by old browsers is alpha transparency, which doesn't exist in GIF
Quote:
Or maybe for some reason you're using a image editor that doesn't support PNG, or if you have to work on a school/work computer which doesn't have a PNG editor...
INVALID : GIF is a patented format, PNG is an open format.
An image editor which want to support GIF has to paid for it.
So there are much more editors supporting PNG than GIF, and for free.
Nick
thank you very much
ionide
yes, IE (internet explorer) does not display the alpha transparency of .png files correctly. I use firefox because of this and because I find .png files very useful. I really stick to .png and .jpg file types when designing, and most quality designers do, or would, if IE (the most popular internet browser) would view the .png files correctly. Firefox displays .png files in perfection and is very useful in countless other ways. Get firefox!
Tieskevo
jpeg.. small and quality