FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cooking

Insanity
Anyone else here enjoy cooking as a hobby?
Bikerman
Insanity wrote:

Yes indeed. I've always been the cook in our household (not just a Sunday lunch and BBQ cook like most men I know Smile )
I cook quite a broad range, from classic French through to different Asian cuisine.
Crinoid
My neighbor is, she talks each time we met about loving to cook and doing it each day.

I thought about why it is not for me and many others. Maybe because of different upbringing (social group's promoted values), or because of wishing to get away from service and maintenance activities, that consume most of the out of work time.

But I know what you are talking about: I did a lot of it at advanced level, that could be qualifying for a hobby, except enjoying it. Smile More people enjoy rather to sample the gourmet cuisine, then prepare it for somebody else Smile . And gourmet chief is not commonly doing the main day to day cooking for household, unfortunately.

Maybe the hobby is doing what you want, when you want and how you want, instead of being on clock, doing it day after day, with no way out, tired, irritated, bonded by constraints of budget and users. I'm not objecting, just thinking about topic of the thread: am I, why and why not.
KatanaSky
I like to cook/bake... but not too often - I find that it's a bit exhausting lol

I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if we had a proper kitchen (temperature gets wayyy too hot) ...and we don't exactly invest in top of the line cookware...

...but I do have my spur of the moments where I just go, "hm... I think I'll go make something!"
Afaceinthematrix
I'm lazy when it comes to cooking. I cook maybe once a week. I cook a lot of something, so that I can have leftovers. I put the leftovers in the fridge and they last me about a week. So I only have to cook once a week. Sometimes, though, I will cook two days in a row so that I can alternate leftovers for a week or so and I don't have to eat the same thing every night.
GoldWyvern
I'm actually getting into it. My wife and I were married a little over a year and a half ago, and one of the perks of this happy nuptial is that she brought a million spices. She herself likes to cook.

My experience before her arrival included the combining the ingredients Hot Dogs, Chili, Onions and Cheese to a plate and finding out what happened. Invariably, it lead to a full stomach and a happy man, and even with my newly expanded pallet, I still consider it my best creation.

Still, I've learned new and exciting things, like, what the big white thing that makes fire is all about, and why the microwave is used only for 'defrosting' - and not six times a day for snacking.

My favorite thing now is to find a recipe, and to go to the store with my wife and pick up the ingredients. It's a payday thing, make a self cooked meal and doctor the recipe up with her advice.

It's amazing how garlic just goes with everything, isn't it? And cheese?

Can't forget the cheese.
GB
My wife helped me to like a ton more foods than I had previously. Now I like things like cheese and veggies instead of putting up with them! She also introduced me to really good bbq.

We both enjoy cooking and wish we were better at it. There are a few recipes that we enjoy and are our specialties. I love the pizza I make and we also enjoy bbq ribs.

Always looking for new stuff to try, especially things that are cheap to make as food prices are skyrocketing world wide.
a_webber
my wife has been telling me for years about what an amazing cook she is, you should of seen her attempt at some FlapJack earlier !!!!
snowynight
I love cooking. It is enjoyable when the family praise you of your cooking....
deanhills
I like food and eat out mostly. My tastes change all the time. I have been through the Italian pasta stage, marmite cheese and biscuits stage, Indian curries, and now I seem to like Asian vegetarian a lot, especially Thai vegetables. The nicest Thai dish I have ever had so far was on Guernsey Island in St. Peters Port Garden Terrace. They actually served Thai vegetables (authentic recipe) in a baked potato! I rarely cook, since I am a bit lazy in a way and prefer to do other things. Now and then when my imagination is caught by a nice dish that I want to copy, I buy all the ingredients and cook up a storm. I have not done that for a while though. Lately it has been simple health things. Very soft cooked eggs on spinach with coriander, salmon, healthy stuff that take a few minutes to put together.
Insanity
GoldWyvern wrote:
I'm actually getting into it. My wife and I were married a little over a year and a half ago, and one of the perks of this happy nuptial is that she brought a million spices. She herself likes to cook.

My experience before her arrival included the combining the ingredients Hot Dogs, Chili, Onions and Cheese to a plate and finding out what happened. Invariably, it lead to a full stomach and a happy man, and even with my newly expanded pallet, I still consider it my best creation.

Still, I've learned new and exciting things, like, what the big white thing that makes fire is all about, and why the microwave is used only for 'defrosting' - and not six times a day for snacking.

My favorite thing now is to find a recipe, and to go to the store with my wife and pick up the ingredients. It's a payday thing, make a self cooked meal and doctor the recipe up with her advice.

It's amazing how garlic just goes with everything, isn't it? And cheese?

Can't forget the cheese.

Er... chili cheese dog, anyone?
imera
The only thing I cant stand is just standing there and stirring wound the food, I need speed, so usually if the food needs to boil Ill wash up, not having something to do is the worst part.
ddoonie
I love to cook, and have been more and more watching the food network, giving me more ideas. The hardest part for me, is the preparation for the following days meal (marinating). I cant stand wanting whatever i'm marinating at that moment NOW.

Always have been grilling on a gas grill, but i ithink i'm going to go and by a charcoal one. Most times i remember eating from a charcoal grill, the food had soo much more flavour...
ptolomeo
I dont take it as a hobby, but I love to cook. I would like to have it like a hobby, bu it will be as soon as I get someone to wash the dishes.
risicakes
im not good with cooking but i sure do love it. i learned how to make potstickers because my friend loves them and i learned how to make fried rice because no one was home to cook for me. so i learn how to cook because i was forced to. but its still fun.
Helios
Bikerman wrote:
Insanity wrote:

Yes indeed. I've always been the cook in our household (not just a Sunday lunch and BBQ cook like most men I know Smile )
I cook quite a broad range, from classic French through to different Asian cuisine.

Yeah, same here. I love Italian food, and often combine it with Asian cuisine.
serebeii
Lol.. I bake.. Baking is my hobby.. It make me feel satisfied by eating it.. lol..
deanhills
serebeii wrote:
Lol.. I bake.. Baking is my hobby.. It make me feel satisfied by eating it.. lol..

What do you bake? I always admire people who can bake as looks like real hard work to me Smile
issunday
Sure!
cooking and baking always....
I think cooking with myself is an enjoy
profbis
Sure, I love cooking.
I love mixing one food with another.
Rice and noodles make a good combination.
Pork and spinach is my favorite.
Also, salt and sugar in tea is tasty.
arquivo
I like cook too, its almost a terapy time you know... I like to relax and cook some light foods...
loonix
I love to cook but its the tidying up when I'm finished which I find not too appealing :p
Cmink32
Desserts are the way to go. I have been going to culinary school for the past year and a half and love cooking anything and everything. I hope to someday open up my own restaurant but that is not going to be for some time. Hopefully someday, but that might be just a dream.
annapurnatraders
Everybody loves food. I enjoy eating food and cooking. I don't exactly take it as a hobby, but cooking really makes me relief. I cook very delicious food while am angry or having any deep conversation with my partner. I really gets piss off if i have to cook for 20-25 ppl (party) by myself, without any kitchen hand. i have to spend whole day cooking.

Have anyone tried cooking food while fighting or arguing, it turn outs to be really tasty. I am not kidding, try at least once. You cannot pretend that you are fighting or having deep quarrel with your loved ones. It has to be real one. Just start cooking when u feel furious about something.

Any feedback are welcome.

XXX
abcxyz1
Im so bad about cooking, i thing that for woman Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
dbershevits
I am not a good cook. When I was younger I had to cook myself a small meal thnk it was chicken, so I go to cook it, set the oven on fire, call the fire department gets called. I'm not a good cook.
atul2242
ever tried making tandoori chicken
Sphaerenkern
Yep, it's fine to be able to cook delicious meals Smile
I cook for my family a few times a week, but I also invited some girls to eat with me Wink It's like going out, just more personal somehow - with the difference that you don't have to pay but that you can mess everything up easily Very Happy never messed it up, fortunately Very Happy
When I talk with someone about recipes, I always feel like some old housewive, though... (What's actually annoying cause I'm male.)
Cddhesh
These days cooking is no more exclusive job of women.I remembered a funny incident when i was small
no one was there at my place and some relatives turned to my house(three of them) and i was alone, i told them to sit, and went into kitchen to bring something for them.Unluckily only few biscuits were there so i decided to prepare tea.Tea became so uneatable that, they appreciated my attempt keeping cups untouchable after having a single sip Smile
After that i learn t properly how to make tea, and things went on, I learn t many things to prepare.
Now i am staying away from my parents,with friends,we enjoy cooking our dinner on room, with all special experiments every day.
formulam
Hi,

I like cooking for a special occasion, or to try out a new recipe but the day to day cooking meals for the family drives me insane and I hate it... I think the family hate it too (my cooking, that is!).
OpposableThumbs
but I don't. I see that it can be a daily creative outlet. How did you come to enjoy cooking?
sana618
Have anyone tried cooking food while fighting or arguing, it turn outs to be really tasty. I am not kidding, try at least once. You cannot pretend that you are fighting or having deep quarrel with your loved ones. It has to be real one. Just start cooking when u feel furious about something.

XXX[/quote]

YES, but not me. my mom and dad. especially when we are about to have a lot of guests both my parents are cooking and they start arguing about how much spices or any other ingredient must be put, i actually enjoy these squabbles between my parents because then when the guests praise their cooking they start giving credit to the other instad of taking it themselves.
Insanity
I enjoy mostly the idea of taking the time and effort to create something, and it's great to be able to cook something for friends and family and seeing their reactions. I read somewhere how it's in our nature to provide food and nourishment to our family, so I guess you can take that into consideration.

It's always great to make something and have it turn out great when you eat it; it's a sense of accomplishment.
jabce85
yeap, it is most fun.. i only do entrees, no desserts.
saibulu
I love to cook--and to bake. I would really love to bake more breads and pastries, but I'm not very good at them. Does anyone have any tips about getting bread dough to rise?
eday2010
I enjoy cooking certain things, like pasta sauce or homemade pizza, and BBQ. Other than that, I have to be in the mood to cook for me to make a more fancy meal. I especially don't like cooking in the evening after work.

I also like baking, but I have to be in the mood for that. Otherwise it's just a chore instead of being fun, even with the prospect of delicious treats at the end.
Insanity
OpposableThumbs wrote:
but I don't. I see that it can be a daily creative outlet. How did you come to enjoy cooking?

I can see how people might not enjoy it, but yes, it's a bit of a creative outlet. It's also very rewarding and I think a good skill to have; especially since I live by myself at college. When your parents aren't around, you tend to splurge and feast on whatever you feel like, regardless of how fatty or sugary it is. Learning how to cook is a survival skill, in my opinion. It's also nice to make a meal to share it with people.

I came to enjoy cooking through basically necessity. I was hungry, needed food, so I cooked. And thus my passion began.
deanhills
I'm glad I do not have to cook every day. Not something I am good at, unless I am entertaining people, and it is much easier to entertain away from home in a restaurant, almost much more fun that way. Everyone relaxes that way.
littleladyluck
I love to bake and cook. Ii\m currently learning new techniques for decorations. If you like the look of food, you'll likely want to taste it. That's the catching in cooking.
youandmephotography
I might be doing this for a project next year,

Baking desserts and learning about different cultures and tastes

What does everyone think of this idea?

Any suggestions?

Question
Insanity
That sounds like a great idea. What's your cultural background?
bsbteng
I don't like cook, but my wife like it very much. Maybe the hobby is doing what you want, when you want and how you want, instead of being on clock, doing it day after day, with no way out, tired, irritated, bonded by constraints of budget and users. I'm not objecting, just thinking about topic of the thread: am I, why and why not.
youandmephotography
@ Insanity, I'm South Korean / Adopted, so I don't really know any recipes per-se from Korea.

however, I would enjoy doing some recipes from Korea and other countries as well! I enjoy almost all kinds of food, so learning to cook them would be pretty cool!

I'm not sure now whether to run some sort of marathon or half marathon or do the baking / cooking + learning for my project now haha.

Insanity do you have any other suggestions for different countries to learn the recipes of ?
jwellsy
I enjoy cooking. But, I hate following a recipe. A recipe gives me inspiration , but that's all. I'm pretty good at visualizing how a dish is going to taste when it's done.

Maybe this is why I enjoy other peoples cooking better than my own.
biljap
I like cooking and trying new taste but I dont take it as a hobby... Though I know people who really enjoy experimenting with food whenever they have some free time so yes, for some people is a hobby.
Interesting, the most people who I know that enjoy cooking (and they do it really good) are males.
melind
I love cooking! I have a lot of recipes that I want to make from this one cooking magazine that I've been subscribed to this past year. Unfortunately, finding the time to cook is difficult because I'm a full-time college student. However, I'm soon going to be home for summer break so hopefully I'll finally be able make some of those recipes!
Denvis
<3 Cooking.
matam
All I like is cook soup!
Greatking
i really did not get into cooking growing up. cause i was busy with school activities and reading a lot. i realize work is also keeping me away from the kitchen but then i like my food home cooked. so if there is no one to cook. i try to toss in some veges and rice. cook some simple delicious dishes. its great fun when i get into it.
Melacos
Yea, well I actually just started recently with any serious cooking. I've never been used to help out in the kitchen when living back home, so I guess it has come as somewhat of a shock to me, all of the sudden having to deal with all that by myself. That said, I REALLY enjoy toying around with pans and stuff, experimenting away. I know I might not be a super chef, but I'm having loads of fun and usually also success with these project.
These last days I've ventured out into the Asian region, probably confusing and mixing traditions with each other, but having some great dinners nonetheless... Razz
hangnhu
I like cooking enough, and I suspect I would have love it more if my mother would quit complaining that I'm slow and rubbish with everything, or if I don't have to do it everyday

I cook the honey turket at christman (we dont' celebrate it, so mum don't cook for the occasion) and gotta say, that one excellent turkey

I like baking, but need more practise, now I have my own place, I will have to cook now
hopefully I could make steam spring roll someday - that is the ultimate challenge
Insanity
I think everyone should be able to cook for themselves... it's one skill that seems to have been lost due to years and years of developments such as the invention of the microwave, the ubiquity of fast food restaurants, and lower costs of eating out. It's a shame, because not only is it a great skill to have, but it saves you so much more money, and it's a great way to bond with others. Humans are social animals by nature, and cooking and sharing food is one of the ways to bond.