FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Speed Racer

Zaini711
I just watch Speed Racer. I don't know what to make of it. As far as entertainment value goes, I would put it 5 out of 10. Visually I would put it 10 out of 10. I think everyone should watch it out on the big screen to do it justice.....
eznet
Thanks for the post. We have been hesitant on this one. I want it to be good so badly, but from what I have seen about it, it seems really 'kiddy'. I watched the cartoon as a kid, and so that sparks my interest, but I don't want to just go see a bad movie because it is based on something I watched as a child. It does look visually stunning, but it takes a bit more than that to make a movie a 'good movie'.
I was hoping that since it was done by the same guys who did the Matrix movies, it would be actioned packed and visually stunning. How was the action?
Indyan
I also have a lot of expectations from this movie. Not only because I used to watch Speed Racer alot when I was a kid, but also because Matthew Fox from LOST is present in the movie.
NixNox
I'll tell you guys: I am really hesitant to attend that movie. I, too, adored the television show. That being said however, their marketing of it almost gave the impression of speedracer as being effeminite and I am not certain I agree with their choice of actors to play his role.

Of course, this is partially because the fellow I took to my senior prom (well, he took me and was my date) actually auditioned for the role and made it to the last 3 candidates before being eliminated...

All in all, though, their commercials make me think they're relying heavily upon the name to bring in customers.
rightclickscott
I saw Speed Racer. Yes, it is COMPLETELY F*CKING RAD AND AWESOME. The Wachowski brothers did a great job making a movie that captured the Speed Racer universe damn near perfectly, bringing back all of the characters from the original show, and while it put a modern spin on everything, it does the original show so much justice. Sure, the plot itself is pretty see-through, and you know the major twist from the beginning, but the ride through it is amazing. It manages to fit in the cheesy lines in the most badass ways possible, and using some mature dialogue which doesn't really seem appropriate for a children's movie, let alone Frihost. The movie is targeted towards two different audiences, little kids, and nostalgia fans, and yet it's still appealing to those outside of that spectrum. Speed Racer rocked, no doubt about it, and this is coming from a man who goes out of his way to slander movies.
Dean_The_Great
I'm excited to see it, although it may not be released here in Japan, I may have to rent it when I get back to Canada.I used to watch the cartoon as a kid... Will be neat to see it many years later with a big budget spin.
hlavco
I saw it and loved it. The only things I didn't like were some of the fight scenes, which would always switch from cool to really cheesy and back to cool like five times each, and the overuse of monkey gags. Why do people think monkeys are so funny?

The movie didn't seem like it had a target audience. Some parts definitely seemed aimed at kids while others were better for older audiences. It still turned out to be a really awesome movie, though.
rightclickscott
hlavco wrote:
I saw it and loved it. The only things I didn't like were some of the fight scenes, which would always switch from cool to really cheesy and back to cool like five times each, and the overuse of monkey gags. Why do people think monkeys are so funny?

The only reason they had monkey gags was because the original show had a monkey. I'm sure they would have avoided it if not for that fact.
blk3
Mixed reviews here. So I'm guessing the movie is not too good in terms of story but its filled with eye candy. I have to watch it and see for myself.