FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ice Lake on Mars?

estyLz
Source: http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/SEMGKA808BE_1.html

Quote:

28 July 2005
The HRSC on ESA's Mars Express obtained this perspective view on 2 February 2005 during orbit 1343 with a ground resolution of approximately 15 metres per pixel.

It shows an unnamed impact crater located on Vastitas Borealis, a broad plain that covers much of Mars's far northern latitudes, at approximately 70.5° North and 103° East.

The crater is 35 kilometres wide and has a maximum depth of approximately 2 kilometres beneath the crater rim. The circular patch of bright material located at the centre of the crater is residual water ice.

The colours are very close to natural, but the vertical relief is exaggerated three times. The view is looking east.

Credits: ESA/DLR/FU Berlin (G. Neukum)
tidruG
That's interesting... Maybe there was life on MArs (and by life, I mean more than just bacteria....) The possibilities are high. Perhaps in the future sometime, scientists can figure out a way to make Mars habitable...
digibluez
dont you just hate those NASA guys-they have been lieng all the way.Mars isnt red at all.And they knew it from the begining.Its atmosphere is blue right now if you didnt know.Not blue like earth but still.
And those sand dunes on mars are very wierd-
wistom
That's interesting. Maybe there have life.
frozenhead
Aaawww!.. I'm engrosed with the capture!.. Shocked

We'll never know really the exact view to the capture coz it's just enhanced or its just an approximation... Unless NASA will send a "man" mission in Mars to confirm the capture is accurate in its enhancement..

Maybe there was life in Mars..
ashen
Wow! That is very interesting!!!
I think long time ago there was life in Mars, but now they're gone...
Bashur
tidruG wrote:
That's interesting... Maybe there was life on MArs (and by life, I mean more than just bacteria....) The possibilities are high. Perhaps in the future sometime, scientists can figure out a way to make Mars habitable...

Yes! This is truely amazing! Thank you for sharing this, I haden't heard anything about this.

*goes to do more research*

And like tidruG said, perhaps they can figure out a way to make Mars habitable. If this is the only Ice on Mars, ( I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE IS ANY AT ALL! AMAZING! ) I see this becoming a central hub in future colonizations. Dont you?
SBrian
Let we stop with this science. In Africa they died of hinger, let us help them!!
shr3dd
<We have African members in here and the f-word is censored with a reason> i honestly believe radical muslims (not the good muslims) will screw this planet up, we need to have somewhere else we can go. sort of like the mars treehouse with no girls allowed, but instead of no girls (which there will be many hot ones) there will be no muslim extremists allowed so there will be no car bombs and terrorism. i think there should be a very strict police system. im not saying radical muslims are the only terrorists, but its the vast majority. mars needs to be made habitable, theres not many natural resources, but if there was an international space program (among peaceful countries not ruled by dictators) we could advance our technology and have another civilization in space. i think one day it will happen.
new-ayu
Wow! That's very interesting. Perhaps I move to mars some day? Hehe just joking.
naz
As some other Members said there is the possibility to move to Mars ,but I don't think it will happen in near future,but I could imagine that some day Galaxytourism will be an everyday experience.I also remebered myself thinking about buying some earth on the moon, I think the price was about 15€/mē Smile
billgertz
that's nice and iteresting.. i watched the documentation of National Geographic Channel and from there i believe, there is a possibility that there's out there.. but i guess we still need to wait for centuries before we can aquire the technology to fully discover these evolutions..
soilgrain
Maybe there could be something trapped in the ice on mars? Like the mammoths were trapped in the ice on earth...

Maybe?..
shr3dd
By stating what I did, I wasn't saying anything negative about African people. I was saying something about the people starving when it's their own fault. America isn't the only country with welfare parasites. The difference is some African countries aren't wealthy enough to cover the slackers. Look at the ones starving in Africa, I guarantee you that there is someone worse off that doesn't starve because of hard work and effort to survive on one's own self. You could also look at it as the earth checking it's population. Resisting nature is futile. Call me callous, call me cold-hearted. You can say I have a disregard for human life, I don't care. I'm a realist, and that's life folks. Life isn't pretty, read through a history book or two. Life is gruesome, unfair, saddening, and cruel, deal with it. Live 8 is about the worst cause there was. We spend billions of dollars in this country to aid other countries when ours is getting worse everyday. Let me guess, that's Bush's fault too? Wrong, it's our own fault for turning a blind eye to the shit that's going on in our own backyard. Crack dealers make fortune's ruining people's lives, do they care? Hell no they don't. I might be callous and cold-hearted </sarcasm> but I actually give a damn what kind of world my kids are going to grow up in. I kind of got off topic, but me being censored really pisses me off, especially when I outsmart the forum's automatic censor.

Oops, looks like i hit "submit" twice on accident again. If any admin would take the time kindly take the first post off, thank you.
tidruG
shr3dd wrote:
I kind of got off topic, but me being censored really pisses me off, especially when I outsmart the forum's automatic censor.
The whole point of the censor is defeated when you "outsmart" it... if our manual censoring of your cursing pisses you off, then I don't see the point of having a censor in the first place... we could just run a forum where every second or third post was sprinkled with curses, we don't want that. Don't outsmart the automatic censor again, please... otherwise we're going to do it manually anyway... and I'm telling you that most of the moderating team is human (Bondings excluded), so if someone gets pissed at having to continuously censor you manually,. they may just delete your post. None of us want that, and neither do you.

shr3dd wrote:
Oops, looks like i hit "submit" twice on accident again. If any admin would take the time kindly take the first post off, thank you.
There you go, deleted your first post. By the way, when you double-post on purpose, you can delete your second post, you know. I've done it a few times myself, even before I was made Mod. Confused
nilsmo
What makes me wonder is why life has to be water/carbon based...
Ressurrector
Who knows there might be life there right now under the surface but we wouldn't know it.
cnnet
It doesn't look like ice lake
but if it is
it would be much interesting
illini319
whether life exists, or existed, on Mars it is likely that the type of organisms that we will find are unicellular in origin. Should that be true, what then? No big deal right? it just means that life can happen elsewhere in the cosmos... and that there may just be a planet out there similar to ours... but so far we haven't found one. I think that what would be more interesting would be to colonize other planets (or moons). I think that would be pushing human limitations beyond getting bigger telescopes etc.
irnes
Whay explore whats the point really do any of us plan on going to live on mars i know i dont
picsite
I think most pictures of mars on the net are fake, the best ones from nasa aren't even published. You don't know how easy it is to create fakes.
coolpages
cool.... never though MARS had any life there...not even water or something...but they found ICE on MARs...thats amazing news
Dread Lord Chaos
Actually, life WAS found on mars in the form of bacteria some time back, not exactly sure when. Bacteria specimens were found but a lot of scientists belive it was brought on by vehicles exploring Mars' surface that came from Earth. If they aren't from Earth, then it's quite an impressive find...and if they are from Earth, the fact that they can survive the jounrey their should be an indication that life on other planets isn't far-fetched at all.
earthchild
I am aware this isn't related to Mars but it is related to one of the post replies.

shr3dd wrote:
I was saying something about the people starving when it's their own fault. America isn't the only country with welfare parasites. The difference is some African countries aren't wealthy enough to cover the slackers. Look at the ones starving in Africa, I guarantee you that there is someone worse off that doesn't starve because of hard work and effort to survive on one's own self...

I suggest you actually go somewhere and experience something before dragging it through the mud.

To any African people on this forum, I apologize for this persons comments. Please be aware that there are north americans who do make the effort to be more sensitive to the "African" (a broad term that includes hundreds and hundreds of very distinct ethnic groups) reality. Again, I apologize.

Peace.
ronjacob
So stop dreaming
bogden
What do you think, did life evolve from scratch on earth, or did simple life (bacteria, etc) blow in, and start us from there. In a way it seems more likely components of life blew in from outer space, but I'm no cosmologist or whatever.
Herbz3
Ver interesting post...
But you know, they already found out that one of Jupiter's moons has a lot of water on it.. so if mars doesnt work out, we could always move there!
SNES350
I'm doubting that, even with the presence of water, that any "advanced" (anything of decent size, I would probably stop at 5" lizards for the lower limit) life was ever there. But if there was proof of life discovered, I'd love to know what happened to wipe them out (as far as we can tell).
hrtorrent
Mars don't have enough strong gravity to hold vital gases in atmosphere like Earth do. If man ever figure how to melt ice caps and build some athmosphere, it would'nt be like Earth atmosphere and it's a question will be good for normal breathing and live.

If there exist life, it will be in some primitive form, like one cell organisam or some simply non-aerobic organisam. Maybe there was a higher life forms in past, but we can only guess until Mars expedition come true.
S3nd K3ys
I heard that the gravity on Mars is like 38% of that on Earth.

Would make for some interesting football games wouldn't it?
4f
I dont think it is real picture of mars
mengshi200
it's very amazing ! I want to play and skate on it
hrtorrent
S3nd K3ys wrote:
I heard that the gravity on Mars is like 38% of that on Earth.

Would make for some interesting football games wouldn't it?

That's true. That gravity would be ideal for sports activities. People would have much more agility. But there's more factors to consider, not only gravity or water present.

Very Happy
mustaq
do u people belive that is reall pic ?
well hope full it should be it not it again amstrong story
af169
yes i's very interesting
earthchild
that pic is beautiful - organic life or not
nopaniers
There's new pictures published today of potential water on Mars. This time from NASA:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6214834.stm

Interesting stuff.
palavra
nopaniers wrote:
There's new pictures published today of potential water on Mars. This time from NASA:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6214834.stm

Interesting stuff.

interesting
soon we will be able to see demijohns from mars Laughing