FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The usual Suspects-

akshar
If plagiarism were a crime in film techniques, director Bryan Singer would be imprisoned for life. Screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie would be serving a similar sentence. However, since it is not, Singer and MacQuarrie (who have joined forces again after the not-so-successful PUBLIC ACCESS) took advantage and duplicated nothing but the best. From CASABLANCA to PULP FICTION, and even a version of a line (intentionally or otherwise) from BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID.

Many people oppose watching a film with a twist a second time. I disagree. By watching it again you can observe how the director and the screenwriter have hidden and revealed clues, how they have tried to steer the audience away from the ending. First time is for entertainment. Second time is for art. This film is certainly worthwhile to see again. To date, I have watched it five times. (Two of those five times I thought, 'well, I'll just watch about half-an-hour,' but ended up watching the entire film because it is so entertaining.) I'm not exactly a noir fan, so it is assured that this particular crime film appeals to a wider audience.

THE USUAL SUSPECTS has a skilled director, an engrossing screenplay, and ten praiseworthy performances. The film runs a fast 105 minutes. Don't miss a minute of it.
memsa
Are you referring to the Kevin Spacey movie?
If so, this was an excellent movie with an excellent twist....brought the word gimp to prominence
boringest
yeah..the best movie I've ever seen...the ending's so cool!!!
pudovkin
Great tips, akshar!
I will watch again and look for those clues and references!
Octaeder
I've watched this film many times. While, obviously, i know the twists and have seen all of the subtle hints litered throughout as to what is happening, I personally just love to watch the ensemble cast perform together. It's definately a film where you couldn't imagine anyone else doing a better job than the actors in it.

I keep meaning to make a little note book to keep in my back pocket of things to do in case I'm ever struck with amnesia... Watching The Usual Suspects again will be on the list.
Scaramanga
akshar wrote:
If plagiarism were a crime in film techniques, director Bryan Singer would be imprisoned for life. Screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie would be serving a similar sentence. However, since it is not, Singer and MacQuarrie (who have joined forces again after the not-so-successful PUBLIC ACCESS) took advantage and duplicated nothing but the best. From CASABLANCA to PULP FICTION, and even a version of a line (intentionally or otherwise) from BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID.

Uhhh, if plagarism was a crime it'd be MORE than just Bryan Singer and Christopher McQuarrie that'd be in trouble. Hell, it's a grand Hollywood tradition borrowing on those who've come before you. Tarantino, de Palma, and many many others. In fact there is a line of thinking in film-making that there is a vocabulary of sorts, so that you are not stealing from another director, just using the same (or at least similar) vocabulary of filmmaking that the originator did.
mrblah
boringest wrote:
yeah..the best movie I've ever seen...the ending's so cool!!!

I also like the lineup scene where they are all ready something off of a card and then all of a sudden the Stephen Baldwin character goes all crazy reading the card.
okullar
Once is never enough! Because the movie is very thought provoking / chamber.

There are many quotes about it, we should mention some one them, right?

Quote:
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist