FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Favourite motorcycle brand

What's your favourite motorcycle brand?
Aprilia
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ducati
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Honda
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Kawasaki
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Suzuki
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Yamaha
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

BlueVD
I think the subject tells it all. What is your favourite motorcycle brand? And why?
I have a weak spot for Suzuki, especially for the design they throw in their bikes every year, not to mention the high tech "stuff" they put on and in the bikes...
jsymac
Out of your list I chose Yamaha as I've owned a few different models over the years, I find the quality of build is good as on most Jap bikes.
Bikerman
As my name suggests I have owned a lot of bikes over the years.
I still have a soft-spot for Brit bikes (particularly old Triumphs) but in terms of usability/reliability/speed/handling then I would have to go with Yam. I previously owned several FJ1200s - fantastic sport/tourer and currently own a Thunderace 1000cc (basically a more relaxed version of the R1).
I've owned a few Suzys over the years - the GS850 is an old favourite - a fantastic bike with a bullet-proof engine and a decent shaft-drive (no oiling the chain every ride).
In terms of fun then my Honda CR500 is up there as well (an off-road 'crosser') but you have to be prepared for a few bruises Smile
gandalfthegrey
Why isn't Indian Motorcycle on the list?
jwellsy
Harley, BMW, Truimph, BSA.
You didn't even list the good bikes.
Bikes that you can actually find parts for after they are over 10 years old.
Just try and find a head gasket 15years later for Japaneese motor that was in production for only a year or two.
Bikerman
Harley ? Don't make me laugh.
I hired a brand new Harley (Softail Heritage Classic) last time I was in the US (California) to do some touring. What a shed. I couldn't get it over a ton - despite several attempts Smile , throttle response was in geological timescales, handling was non-existent, vibration was annoying, PLASTIC mudguard (fender) chrome, riding position was awful, brakes were chocolate, and you couldn't corner because there was no clearance. (It did look very nice though).

With Harleys you basically have to build the bike youself - what you get out of the crate is a piece of crap. I have many mates who are into custom bikes in a big way and I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with paying over 12 grand for a bike which is a pile of crap and then having to spend another 5 grand making it run and handle properly.
BlueVD
Well, sorry to disapoint, but I was only naming manufacturers with strong market share in the spoirt and super-sport area. As to offroad I preffer Husqvarna (I own a TE450) and it's great to ride, but spare parts aren't so handy...
Bikerman
BlueVD wrote:
Well, sorry to disapoint, but I was only naming manufacturers with strong market share in the spoirt and super-sport area. As to offroad I preffer Husqvarna (I own a TE450) and it's great to ride, but spare parts aren't so handy...

Ahh..now you are talking. My first serious bike (after the honda C-50s that all us kids messed around with) was a Husky 360 single. I was 14 at the time and got the first ride on it (a bunch of us clubbed-in to buy it from a 'works' rider). I can still remember it clearly - 30-odd years later.
The only thing I'd ridden to that time was the honda cub, so I did what I would have done on the cub - ripped the throttle straight back. Fortunately when the inevitable happened (the bike somersaulted of course) it didn't land on me, so I lived to ride another day Smile
mtorregiani
Honda for me. Their sound is lovely, and they have a lot of power.
I wish I had a Honda....
BPrice
I am a Suzuki man myself.

my latest bike is a Suzuki gsf 650 s / bandit s. it is ideal for me as it a bit sporty and good for commuting.

I have tried other bikes but the bandit is the one for me.
Idoru
Don't know squat about motorcykles, but Triumph... Harley... Those are the brands an amature first comes to think of... Cool
Well, ofcourse the oriental brands you listed aren't unfamilliar, but not even close to the status of mentioned ones.
jwellsy
Crotch rockets give all other bike riders a bad image and cause insurance rates to increase.
That's just the facts.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2007/09/motorcycle-deat.html

Quote:

Motorcycle death rates doubled; supersport bikes the most dangerous

Riding motorcycles is commonly considered a dangerous recreational pursuit. Just how risky? Motorcyclist fatalities have more than doubled in 10 years and reached 4,810 in 2006, accounting for 11 percent of total highway fatalities, according to recent analysis by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI). In addition, 88,000 riders were injured last year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Motorcycle deaths are on the rise, while automotive fatalities are decreasing accoding to reports from IIHS, NHTSA, and other safety agencies. The trends do reflect an increasing number of younger motorcyclists piloting performance bikes, as well as continued improvement in car safety. However, averaged across all registered motorcycles for 2005, 99.9 percent of riders did not meet an untimely demise.

What motorcycles show the greatest risks?
Supersport bike riders have death rates that are four times greater than average for all motorcycle types, says the IIHS. These so-called rockets are essentially racing bikes modified for highway use. Engineered for speed, they typically have more horsepower per pound than other bikes. A 2006 model Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, for example, produces 111 horsepower and weighs 404 pounds. In contrast, the 2006 model Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide, a touring motorcycle, produces 65 horsepower and weighs 788 pounds.

"Supersport motorcycles are indeed nimble and quick, but they also can be deadly," says Anne McCartt, Institute senior vice president for research. "These bikes made up less than 10 percent of registered motorcycles in 2005 but accounted for over 25 percent of rider deaths."

The fatality rates for cruiser and "standard" ridersrank the lowest, at 5.7 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles. Touring bikes, such as the Harley example, averaged 6.5 deaths, with sport bikes totaling 10.7 deaths per 10,000.

Why the increased fatalities?
There are a growing number of motorcycles on the road, with total registrations climbing 51 percent between 2000 and 2005. While cruisers and standard motorcycles made up the bulk of registrations, supersport bikes see registrations up 83 percent in 2005 compared with 2000. In 2005 supersport bikes accounted for 9 percent of registrations, cruisers made up 47 percent, and standards 4 percent.

"Supersport motorcycles have such elevated crash death rates and insurance losses because many people ride them as if they were on a racetrack," McCartt says. "Data show that speed is a big factor in their crashes."

Speeding and driver error were bigger factors in fatal crashes of supersport,sport, and unclad sport bikes compared with other motorcycle classes. In contrast, speed was cited in 57 percent of supersport riders' fatal crashes in 2005, compared to 27 percent of fatal crashes among riders on cruisers and standards and 22 percent on touring motorcycles.

Alcohol was a factor in the fatal crashes of 19 percent of supersport riders and 23 percent of sport and unclad sport riders. Alcohol impairment was an even bigger factor in the fatal crashes of cruisers and standard bikes and touring motorcycles, particularly among riders 30-49 years old.

"With more motorcyclists on the road and fewer of them wearing helmets, the result is bound to be an increase in deaths and injuries," says McCartt. "Motorcycles are inherently risky, and when crashes occur head injury is a leading cause of death. The most effective way we know to reduce head injury risk is to wear helmets that meet federal safety standards. Wearing a helmet would have saved at least 700 motorcyclists' lives in 2005, an Institute analysis shows."

Certain bike types may invite dangerous behavior, but ultimately it is the driver that takes the risks. Whatever is your vehicle of choice, obey the law and drive responsibly for all our sakes.
leonix
i would choose Yamaha for the reliability over the years of comparing with my other bike yama is really up to it. cheers.. Laughing
Ghost Rider103
Honda.

I have always rode with honda, and have always been pleased with it. It's reliable, and is jsut what I want. They also have really good suspension stock. Even though I am currently not using their stock suspension, but not much on my bike is stock anymore, so yeah...

Plus red is a good color. Also, I was talking about MX bikes.
parmaster
I have allways wanted to buy a Suzuki Hayabusa, but are really bloody dear. Really nice bike though, anyone seen ghostrider?
Bikerman
jwellsy wrote:
Crotch rockets give all other bike riders a bad image and cause insurance rates to increase.
That's just the facts.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2007/09/motorcycle-deat.html

No, that's not the facts at all. The rider is responsible for their riding. It so happens that the sort of rider who is attracted towards the 'crotch-rocket' is not always capable of riding that sort of bike in a responsible manner. The bike is not the problem, the rider is. I have been riding all my adult life (and a lot of my teenage years to boot). That is about 30 years. I've owned a variety of 'crotch rockets' and love them.

When I was 17 you could get hold of a 250cc bike and ride around on L plates. The bike of choice for that era was the Yamaha RD250 - a true crotch rocket. Needless to say many kids died as a result - a few of them were friends of mine.

Nowadays the law is much stricter (limited to 125cc and limited hp). Insurance rates also price-out a lot of younger riders. The rise in deaths has largely been in the older 'born again bikers'. The reasons are obvious. A lot of middle-aged men with plenty of disposable income decide to relive the youth they never really had and buy a Fireblade or other powerful bike. The last bike they rode was probably a 35hp plodder and suddenly they have 130+hp on tap - it is bound to end in tears, and it often does.
jwellsy
It's not middle aged guys that I see whipping back and forth between lanes to zig zag through traffic.
Bikerman
jwellsy wrote:
It's not middle aged guys that I see whipping back and forth between lanes to zig zag through traffic.
Well if it's young kids on big crotch-rocket bikes then they must have very very rich parents. Most companies won't insure anyone under about 25 for the bigger bikes and those that do charge a LARGE amount of money.
A more real problem that I see everyday is kids whipping around on these little scooter-type 125cc bikes. I see girls and women with heels and skirts riding the damn things, boys and men with t-shirts - completely oblivious to the effects of gravel-rash on unprotected skin (even at low speeds). As someone who ALWAYS wears full leathers for riding, it makes me wince when I see them zipping around town.
I've had a few 'offs' in my time riding (most bikers come off at some time) and I can tell you that contact with the road, even at 30mph, is not something you want without some proper protection.
Bikerman
The following made me chuckle - be warned though, it contains very strong language:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukAhlxl4hmM
NixNox
I believe I'm quite possibly the only person that selected Ducati.
(Okay, well, I know I am. One vote and that's me.)

I essentially prefer their designs to all others. Although, if you look out in my shed, there's a 1970 Honda 90 sitting out there waited for some new gas to pump through it's system.
jwellsy
That was a great youtube video. Very funny. He was CRAZY INSANE!
SkateandDestroypc
There is no option for Harley Davidson? The older Harley's (80's and earlier) crush the newer style bikes. What about Triumph? Triumphs are also amazing. Twisted Evil
Bikerman
SkateandDestroypc wrote:
There is no option for Harley Davidson? The older Harley's (80's and earlier) crush the newer style bikes. What about Triumph? Triumphs are also amazing. Twisted Evil

Crush in what sense? I find them slow, poor handling and lumpen. Harley is an image - not a good bike. People buy them because they want to buy into a brand image of 'freedom' and 'rebellion'. If you want a fast, reliable, good handling bike then you buy Japanese. If you want a nice bike for posing (but not very practical as a daily ride) then you buy a Ducatti. If you want a chrome monster which handles like a sofa and performs like an asthmatic pensioner then you buy a Harley.
McDucque
Where's the Harley-Davidson option? I mean, come on, they're classic.
Battle_Off
yeah, wheres harley-Davidson,
wheres BMW,

I have used BMW so they are the best that i have used. Haven't you ever seen Long Way Down or Round, Ewan McGregor used a BMW

They are tough machines
imera
Difficult to chose, there are just too many I like
blutrausch
ducati is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!