FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

a question about wireless

progman89
Although I definitely have above-average knowledge about computers in general, I'm new to more advanced stuff about wireless networks, so I was wondering if someone could help me with this.
I have a Wireless-B network on a 2.4ghz frequency. When someone dials a phone with a 5.8ghz frequency between a computer with a wireless card and the router, it sometimes will disconnect the computer from the network. I had thought it wouldn't be a problem because the two were on different frequencies, but it seems to be a problem...why is a 5.4ghz frequency device interfering with a 2.4ghz frequency device?
gonzo
progman89 wrote:
I'm new to more advanced stuff about wireless

http://www.netstumbler.com/

Quote:
I have a Wireless-B network on a 2.4ghz frequency. ..phone with a 5.8ghz frequency

Could those phones be using multiple 2.4 channels? Have you tried changing your B channel?

You might want to invest either in a few SoHo repeaters or look into MiMo wireless
Ruba
You said:
Quote:
...someone dials a phone with a 5.8ghz frequency between... ...why is a 5.4ghz frequency device interfering...
I think you still had in mind 5.8GHz device.

But anyway, I think your phone is not a good one. I know that If I use any other radio device and there is close by something that may produce any electromagnetical noise, then my radio device will go crazy. For example a radio controlled car or walkie talkie. You should try to replace this with another phone. As far as 5.8GHz interfering with 2.4, it is impossible with those not powerful transmitters in wireless phones. Actually it is not a problem even to have a 2.4 phone together with 2.4 wireless network adapter. I had this situation at home and I had tu change channel on my wireless router and everything was perfect. So 5.8 GHz is way far away from 2.4 GHz and only way it may interfere with your wireless network, is if your phone is generating other electromagnetical noises.

Try to repleace your phone!

Good luck!
toshlad
I am no expert in radio signals but I think this is the reason why this might happen with your network.

Although the two devices use different freq. the power output of the phone is going to be far stronger than a poor little WiFi card. So this will cause a the card to loose site of the router.

If you are old enough to remember the CB craze of the 80s, then you'll know that a largly amplified signal from a CB could interfear with your TV. The two devices use different freq. but the power of one cut out the signal of the other.

I hope this helps.
n0xvb
progman89 wrote:
Although I definitely have above-average knowledge about computers in general, I'm new to more advanced stuff about wireless networks, so I was wondering if someone could help me with this.
I have a Wireless-B network on a 2.4ghz frequency. When someone dials a phone with a 5.8ghz frequency between a computer with a wireless card and the router, it sometimes will disconnect the computer from the network. I had thought it wouldn't be a problem because the two were on different frequencies, but it seems to be a problem...why is a 5.4ghz frequency device interfering with a 2.4ghz frequency device?

Even though the devices operate at different frequencies, you are most likely experiencing what is called receiver desense. The signal of the 5.8GHz phone causes the receivers in your wifi equipment to not hear their signals (or desensitizing them to the radio signals). This is fairly common and caused by a radio transmitter being located too close physically to the affected receiver. This phenomenon is independent of the frequencies. If the phone or its base are not transmitting, then they will not affect the wifi radios.

The other thing that could be happening is interference due to a frequency harmonic, which also is a common occurrence. A good example of this is someone transmitting at a frequency of 450MHz causing interference to someone listening to a frequency of 150MHz. The 450MHz frequency is the third harmonic of 150MHz. Now the phone is not double the frequency of the wifi equipment, but there could still be a harmonic.

Because this is an intermittent problem, I would venture to guess it is just a receiver desense and you may be able to fix the problem by moving the base for your phone or the location of your access point.
shishir_bit
progman89 wrote:

Hi friend it seems you have a good knolege of computers .

Problem stated is simple nothing in this world is perfect.So you might have seen when phone rings there is some distraction in speakers even though they are electrical signals.The same is happening here.
Quote: