FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much space req for VS2005 sp1

bukaida
I am trying to install SP1 on VS2005professonal.I am having 2.5GB free on drive C.But after some time it is showing low disk space.The entire VS2005(under custom install)has taken 2.3GB.How a service pack is demanding more space than it?
crdowner
Several Microsoft packages are now HUGE compared to previous versions. I am not sure that is the case for VS2005 SP1 though. However, service packs often need space to decompress and make temporary changes. Also keep in mind that many Microsoft updates retain the old files in case you decide to uninstall later.
[FuN]goku
It depends on what you install. If you are installing only one if the IDE's 'WITHOUT' msdn and sql server
it should be 200-400 meg. But if you installed MSDN, sql server, and all the IDE's , uh you're looking at ... a couple gig i'd say, i cant give you an exact number because i dont have the full visual studio, i only use C# 2005 + 2008, VB 2005 + 2005, and C++ 2008, i dont even use msdn.

I just checked, both my visual studio install folders together are roughly 1.2 gig.

But yeah.. you might wanna try to free up some space before installing VS.
bukaida
The microsoft experts are saying that atleast 6GB of free space is required for SP1 to be installed on VS2005(got from their site finaly). I am only installing the minimum software required for smart device programmamibility(No SQL server, MSDN etc).So following their suggession I could finaly be able to do that (Inspite of having 2GB RAM).After installation, the occupied harddisk was freed and the installed program size was only 1.6 GB. This happened only while installing SP1 not VS2005. It seems that the rookies are more demanding than the king itself. What a situation !! Surprised