FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cisco or RedHat?

justtj
I am presently looking to do some advanced networking course, so had two choices, either to go for CCNP or RHCSS
don't know which one to opt for?
is there anyone in forum who is CCNP or Redhat certified??
need some guidance.. Cool
thegoswebs
Cisco is only what I know, I don't know anything about RedHat, but I'm just here to describe some things. I'm not certified, but I am currently enrolled in the CCNA course at my school and I am planning on perhaps receiving a certificate some day. That all depends on what I plan to be in the next couple of years. I would recommend CCNA because they explain everything so well and the tests are quite challenging. It's a good program to get into since it's fun and really interesting to learn about.
jsk02a
Cisco powers the world! I could see having a Cisco cert coming in more handy, IMO, but of course it always depends on the true nature of the work you want to preform.
tkelly2us
justtj wrote:
I am presently looking to do some advanced networking course, so had two choices, either to go for CCNP or RHCSS

I was formally CCIE certified (expired now) and can tell you that the Cisco CCNP certification would be the right course for advanced networking. CCNP is core and advanced networking concepts where as the Red Hat certification will get you Red Hat Linux with Security and only some networking concepts built in vs. all with the CCNP. If networking is the way you want to go, then the CCNP is your best option and obtainable, especially if you start with your CCNA first.

Good luck.
tkelly2us
Some additional CCNP resource info:

CCNP Certification from Cisco's website: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le10/learning_certification_type_home.html

CCNP certification validates a network professional's ability to install, configure and troubleshoot converged local and wide area networks with 100 to 500 or more nodes. Network Professionals who achieve the CCNP have demonstrated the knowledge and skills required to manage the routers and switches that form the network core, as well as edge applications that integrate voice, wireless, and security into the network.

CCNP Track I Learning Map
CCNP Track II Learning Map

CCNP Prerequisites
Valid CCNA certification

CCNP Exams & Recommended Training
Required Exam(s) Recommended Training
642-901 BSCI Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI)
642-812 BCMSN Building Cisco Multilayer Switched Networks (BCMSN)
642-825 ISCW Implementing Secure Converged Wide Area Networks (ISCW)
642-845 ONT Optimizing Converged Cisco Networks (ONT)
OR
Required Exam(s) Recommended Training
642-892 Composite Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI)

Building Cisco Multilayer Switched Networks (BCMSN)
642-825 ISCW Implementing Secure Converged Wide Area Networks (ISCW)
642-845 ONT Optimizing Converged Cisco Networks (ONT)

[quote="tkelly2us"]
justtj wrote:

I was formally CCIE certified (expired now) and can tell you that the Cisco CCNP certification would be the right course for advanced networking. CCNP is core and advanced networking concepts where as the Red Hat certification will get you Red Hat Linux with Security and only some networking concepts built in vs. all with the CCNP. If networking is the way you want to go, then the CCNP is your best option and obtainable, especially if you start with your CCNA first.

Good luck.[/quote
bigt
I have worked with Redhat, Cisco routers and networking tools, and I have done some general networking. But, I don't claim to be an expert in any of them. I would get CCNP certified if I were you.

justtj wrote:
NDYT
My openion is you should have both set of skills. You should be able to do routing switching as well as handel the the backend linux OS, DNS(eg:BIND), Mail Serves(eg:Postfix,Send mail),Proxy Servers(eg:Squid). It is nessey to have both kinds of skills.
The thing is first do CCNA.Then try for CCNP while doing Linux System Administration.
Thanks

javascript:emoticon('Laughing')NDYT javascript:emoticon('Smile')