FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I am self-employed in the UK

ciureanuc
Why almost everybody mind self-employed?
I am Romanian, I am living in London. Even Romania is in the EU, we don’t have full rights to work here. A 100% legal way is self-employment.
I am here for 6 months already and I still have difficulties to get a job. When I tell people that I am self-employed, I see on their face (or I hear the tone of their voice) that I will not be called for a job or for an interview… WHY?
Are companies afraid of a self-employed or what?
Why it’s so hard to get a job?
Psycho_X52
It would be cool to fire yourself Very Happy .
You could try to use "professional free" (or something like that)
WhistleTurning
As a none UK citizen, saying you are self employed may give other prospective employers the idea you are part of the "black economy", or parrt of the "lump" in the building trades. That is working without paying tax and national insurance. If you were to give the national insurance and or tax code, you may find you have more success. I know of quite a few Eastern Europeans working in tghe UK, but htese seem to be late or over night jobs working in the numerous warehousing firms around in the area.
ciureanuc
WhistleTurning wrote:
As a none UK citizen, saying you are self employed may give other prospective employers the idea you are part of the "black economy", or parrt of the "lump" in the building trades. That is working without paying tax and national insurance. If you were to give the national insurance and or tax code, you may find you have more success. I know of quite a few Eastern Europeans working in tghe UK, but htese seem to be late or over night jobs working in the numerous warehousing firms around in the area.

all my application e-mails have a
"P.S.: If there is any question about - I am legally registered as self-employed."

I can give invoices, I have a national insurance number, I pay taxes = I am self employed... I don't know how to put this in my cover letter... I think that this word "legally" include everything, don't you think?
ciureanuc
Maybe you can help me if you know my cover letter...
This one I use for applying at jobs:
Should I change something?

Quote:

Dear Sir / Madam,

Having seen details of vacancy "job" advertised on "source", I would like to apply for the position.

I have an extensive 5+ year experience in this domain, and I perfectly master Quark XPress, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Freehand, Adobe InDesign. I have also had the opportunity of acquiring the basics of Macromedia Dreamweaver and Adobe ImageReady.
My experience covers a wide range of work types: newspapers, magazines, for printing houses, in production lines, for advertising agencies; both permanent contracts or freelance.

All the positions I held required a great degree of creativity, flexibility, and reactivity, but also attention to details. I am stress resistant, as I often developed several projects at the same time.
I frequently delivered projects before the deadline or went beyond my attributions in order to provide high quality to the projects.

Please have a look on my personal files details.
If there is any need, my portfolio is also on-line on www.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

C.

P.S.: If there is any question about - I am legally registered as self-employed.