FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

best programming editor

fliphedhnter09
Well, until now i can't decide what is the best programming editor, because i haven't used all of yet.

but for now I prefer using PHPEdit for coding the html files and Dreamweaver for for designing.

I am still testing some editor to be used portably, so I can do my projects where ever there's computer.

I still have no laptop yet.
Peterssidan
I think it depends on what programming language you use. For PHP I use dreamweaver. When I programming in Java I use Eclipse.
fliphedhnter09
you are right, editor depends upon the language, but a good editor should be flexible that could be used in any language or most of the language for now I am testing editplus for its portability and verstility can be used in java, php, perl, auto, etc....

hope not to offend you
rvec
I use notepad++ for CSS, TCL, PHP, HTML and since a couple of weeks for Ruby. I've tried PHPEditor, Dreamwaver, one other with PHP in it's name, something with crab in it's name and notepad.
fliphedhnter09
well, if we are replying like this we could not figure out which is the best program editor. well do it like this...

if a reply will come he should rank all the program editor that he knows from 1 to 3. It will be something like this..

Note pad = 1
EmEditor = 2
EditPlus = 3
PHPEdit = 3
Notepad++ = 2

the next reply will accumulate my ranking with his ranking

ex:

replier's ranking + Previous raking = accumulated result

Notepad = 1 + 1 = 2
Emeditor = 2 + 2 = 4
Editplus = 0 + 3 = 3
PHPEdit = 0 + 3 = 3
Notepad++ = 0 + 2 = 2

He can stop if he/she could not enumerate anymore or put zero if he dosen't know the editor and can add if he knows something else.

the highest scoring editor is the best FOR THIS FORUM

how is that mr. moderator
haydxn
well i certainly can't be arsed with any of that.

while a flexible editor is obviously very good, the important thing is to have an editor that is perfectly crafted for the language you're using (whether it can handle others or not).

personally, as a C++ programmer, there is no contest: Visual C++ is just a remarkable application, integrating many essential things into one powerful whole. Combined with Visual Assist, you couldn't want for a better editor.

of course, if you're not writing C++ code, it's not going to be quite so indespensible. it really comes down to the language.
rvec
fliphedhnter09 wrote:
well, if we are replying like this we could not figure out which is the best program editor. well do it like this... ...

I like the idea, but I doubt people will really reply like that. Only thing you could do is make a simple page with it and ask users to enter their scores there and post here. Then add some more editors and maybe you get some nice stats Razz
Liu
vi or vim.
fliphedhnter09
Well, true that the best programming editor for a certain language is the editor for itself, phpedit or zend studio for php or netbeans for java, too normal nothing special about it, that is expected.

what if you a cafe with no programming language editor installed but you really need to code, well nice for you if you can code java or php in notepad, but what if not. that will be terrible, a great loss for you. what i mean is you have a portable editplus in you usb drive. now, wow that's something.
snowboardalliance
Notepad++ is best for general purpose stuff. Then Code::Blocks for c++, and Eclipse for Java (works with c++ but I prefer Code Blocks)

Those are my top three editors
bissoboa
I use a lot kate (for linux with kde).
I think it is a very very good text editor.
For c/c++ programming style I personalized the hilighting in a way it looks like my old dear Borland C++ interface Cool
kumaitmy
I Think the editor you choose depends on many things especially these days there are a lot of really good editors around.
I used to use Delphi for more than 4 years and I've built many great applications using it. Now I've started using Java and I use Netbeans for my work. it covers all what you need in Java world it really have high standards and quality.
check it http://www.netbeans.org
glmuelle
I like smultron.
It's simple and still provides all you need.
And it works on Mac : )
Stubru Freak
I use Notepad++ too. It can handle all languages, and with plugins it can even give you a hexadecimal representation of a file.
powerfusion66
I currently use Notepad++ v4.9.2 with some cool freeware tools (AlwaysOnTopMaker, WindowSizer, EyeDropper).
The very essential for a rookie web designer. Razz
Gushe
NotePad++ here Smile
xtoffer
Another one not mentioned I think is PSPad which got features similar to UltraEdit. Languages highlighting, HEX editor.. and stuff, haven't used all of the features ;) Needed something to lighten up my "perl'ing" ^^ Anyhow it's only for windows though.

Haven't tried that notepad++ that some of you uses. Will have to have a look at it!
zellfaze
For Linux users I would suggest Kwrite. It has syntax highlighting for several hundred programing langs.
AFriedman
I use DrJava for Java.
Horizon
Well Evrsoft (it's Evrsoft, not Eversoft) has a huge amount of services, mostly for Javascript. But it does help out with:

HTML
Javascript
SSI
ASP
PHP
CFML
CSS

It also has alot of tools for you to use when you want. The program is free, although you will get this annoying reminder that you can buy the full version, but that starts about a month after you download it.

It's actually hard to imagine that it comes with more then what it already has if you buy it.. it's unbelievable how much it offers, and for free too. Unless you want to buy expensive software, then be my guest. Evrsoft is the only editor I use ^^
revani
No one said vim? Oh, the new generation of programmers aren't showing respect to older editors Razz (Who says that, i'm 17 Very Happy )

Anyway, i use Gedit when i'm coding on linux. But Microsoft Visual Studio is slightly the best one among the IDEs, if you're coding on windows. For web programming, Gedit is also good, but when i'm on windows, i prefer Dreamweaver. Macromedia/Adobe surely rules! Very Happy
eznet
I like GEdit in Gnome... Nice syntax highlighting for tons of languages... I also like Geany for Python... But ultimately, as others have said, depends on the language - and the environment... Usually I go for free in any case Smile
zellfaze
revani wrote:
No one said vim? Oh, the new generation of programmers aren't showing respect to older editors Razz (Who says that, i'm 17 Very Happy )

I wonder how many people on these forums even know what vi or vim are. I assume the majority of the people here use Windows. Sad
Chinmoy
for quick editing notepad++ works good for a number of languages...Also, i like using scite..
jmraker
I use PSPad in windows and kwrite in linux, I use them because they're free and let you easily open and save files on multiple FTP sites.
cyberbuddy
I think the new Net Beans 6.1 is capable of doing a lot stuff .Net Beans is basically a IDE for Java platform which is fully integrated of all java stuff .But Net Beans 6.1 is now with Java ,C,C++,PHP and many more .the best part is that it free software .Its similar to Microsoft Visual Studio which is a famous IDE for doing all stuff.But the shortfall is that it fails in resource management and it hangs in low powered system . Net beans where as is excellent in resource management ie it doesn't takes much hardisk space to get it installed.Another best part of this software is that it a fully integrated pack with ample accessories .It comes with TOMCAT server for php or jsp/servlet else one can download it from www.netbeans.org .It has ranked top by many experts and the reason for this i think is that it has every think that a programmer is expected to do. Also it is available for Window system ,Linux system Apple MAC system .Also it is powered with a strong respective program and yes this helps a programmer a lot .So in all probability i think today this is one of the best IDE available free for programmers

thank u Smile
eznet
Chinmoy wrote:
for quick editing notepad++ works good for a number of languages...Also, i like using scite..

I have to second the Notepad++ sentiment. I have limited experience Scite, but have used Notepad ++ extensively while in Windows environments. I think the two things I love most about it are 1) it is nearly as simple and fast as notepad.exe and b) it provides an impressive amount of language syntax support and coloring out of the box.

It is really nice to be able to edit all of your files in one tab-supporting editor, eliminating the need to launch multiple editors and switch back and forth - like with Django dev, its nice to have Python, HTML, Javascript and CSS support all in one - if only it supported code completion/suggestion... Oopps.. Nevermind... it does...

Sweet - going to play...
assailant
whenever i work on a project or anything like that, I need a full fledged IDE that handles my whole project, checks for includes, has a testing environment and (optionally) a code optimizer. Hence, my favorite editor depends on the language I'm programming in. For PHP, Zend IDE is the IDE of my choice. Although a little pricey, it is totally worth the price. For C/C++ development, I generally develop Qt applications, so I use Eclipse alongwith the Qt integration pack. For, HTML/CSS/JS, nothing beats Aptana. That just leaves with me the C# part.. for which I totally rely on #develop.

However, all programmers need this little editor they can fire up anytime they want.. for that Notepad++ is totally the way to go, which i've started using recently. Previously, I used to completely rely on EditPlus.
Horizon
Most other programs take a while to load, such as Evrsoft and Dreamweaver. Notepad++ is almost instant and perfect for fast coding. But it doesn't really offer any coding help, so you shouldn't get it unless you know what you're doing >.>

I also like how it lists the line number accurately . It's saved a lot of time trying to figure out exactly where to find problems.
alkutob
As an ordinary user I prefer to use Notepad++ , it is easy and have many good features .
Xaferrow
eznet wrote:
I like GEdit in Gnome... Nice syntax highlighting for tons of languages... I also like Geany for Python... But ultimately, as others have said, depends on the language - and the environment... Usually I go for free in any case Smile

Yeah, geany Very Happy its multipurpose
toxictux
Eclipse is the best if you have latest hardware and enough RAM to run a heavy duty application. if you dont want to do java programing but something else and want the same feature set and lighter application, give Komodo Edit a try. it is free. if you like it you can go for the paid version which is called Komodo IDE. it has more features. for me free version is enough. i absolutely love it. and the fact that it is based on Mozilla firefox platform it is easy to upgrade and extend. there is absolutely every possilble language support and some more for Komodo.

for very light editing Editplus or notepad++ should do the job. it actually depends on what your needs are.
toxictux
Eclipse is the best if you have latest hardware and enough RAM to run a heavy duty application. if you dont want to do java programing but something else and want the same feature set and lighter application, give Komodo Edit a try. it is free. if you like it you can go for the paid version which is called Komodo IDE. it has more features. for me free version is enough. i absolutely love it. and the fact that it is based on Mozilla firefox platform it is easy to upgrade and extend. there is absolutely every possilble language support and some more for Komodo.

for very light editing Editplus or notepad++ should do the job. it actually depends on what your needs are.
albuferque
Programmer's notepad is my personal choice:

http://www.pnotepad.org
tepani2008
I guess editplus is the best..
it can support plain text (of course) and many languages as html, c/c++, perl, php, java, jsp, javascipt, vbscript, css, xml, c#
and also it is very light
eznet
Yea, I guess it all boils down to what you are programming in and also how you prefer to do it. Some people like to work from inside the toolbox - in an IDE. Other, like myself, like to develop incrementally and test the code hands on by handing manually to its compiler or interpreter. Some would argue that the manual way is inefficient and overly cumbersome, but I personally like the hands on nature of using my separate tools for their separate jobs.

Also, in my Linux install, using Compiz, I am able to group windows and manipulate them as I wish, which in a sense allows me to roll my own IDE. Typically this roll-my-own "IDE" consists of my lightweight text editor (Gedit) coupled, via grouping and tabbing in Compiz, with a bash shell running the Python interpreter. Usually part of the group, I will also have a couple of Nautilus windows open, which are where I am able to access my working files. Usually I also have another bash shell grouped in with the others for quick access to shell functions that I may need while in the process...

Clearly, the above sings the praises of the coupling abilities of Compiz more so than it does a programming editor, but none the less, I have found this set up invaluable for my programming process.
Vova
I use SciTE editor... It supports many languages, among which PHP, C/C ++, Java, Javascript and many others. SciTE is free and opensourse. All options including on different languages are in separate files, you can easily change them or add yours.
hadzrul
There is a great freeware Notepad Replacement called Notepad++. This is a great piece of software that I have used for a long time. It is one of the first programs that I install on a fresh OS install. I will try and explain why I like Notepad++ and why you should give it a try (I know you will like it).

Features: Notepad++ has more features than you may ever use. I will only talk about the ones that I like and which are widely used.

Multi-Document:
If you use Firefox, you must have used Tabs. Notepad++ also supports Tabs. This means that you can open more than one file in the same window. Desk Space is precious and this really helps.

Multi-View:
You may have five files open, however you want to compare two of them. No problem. Switch to the split view and have them open at the same time, side-by-side. Cool, ehh.

Zoom in and Zoom out:
Don’t strain your eyes, just Zoom In. Many a times we need to see the text at a larger size but we don’t want to change the font size. You can simply zoom/out using Notepad++. (Ctrl + Mouse Scroll OR Ctrl ‘+’/’-‘)

Full Drag 'N' Drop supported:
This is a must for people like me who keep moving text time and again. You don’t need to press any key, just drag.

Regular Expression Search/Replace supported:
I missed this feature in MS Notepad. Thanks to Notepad++ you can search with regular expressions in Notepad++, it’s a big time saver.

File Status Auto-detection:
It is another gem. When you are working on a file and some other program modifies it, you are notified about the change and you can open the updated file. If the file is deleted you are given an option to remove it from Notepad++.

Macro recording and playback:
If you do a task repeatedly than you can record that as a macro and run it every time you need to do it again.

For Programmers:
If you are a programmer than you will love following features:

1. Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
2. User Defined Syntax Highlighting
3. Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
4. Auto-completion

Notepad++ supports many languages like C, C++, C#, Java, ASP, PHP, HTML. The list is long.

Try it!
jsfdan
I use phpDesigner for my php codes and notepad++ for the quick edits.
tobenna
It all depends on what language with which you want to use the editor to program in. If it is in PHP I would highly recommend DreamWeaver. If it is java, c, cpp I would recommend Visual Studiofor use, dreamweaver is also useful for programming in java.
dimedrol-tab
NetBeans IDE is realy very good choice! It is fully integrated and you can bring it from computer with Windows to computer with Linux and it will works on these systems both 'cause it written on Java.
You can use it for programming on Java ( Java EE, Java ME etc. ), PHP, Python, C/C++, Maven, Ruby, Groovy, Perl and many others.
NetBeans website
[FuN]goku
Well , i do the majority of my coding in Visual Studio 2008, but when i'm doing a language that isn't integrated into it, i'll use Notepad++ which i love! For the longest time though, i used Notepad2, but after i found out about Notepad++, i kinda stopped using it, since the highlighting in Notepad++ seems alot better.
ikavec
Nowadays there's no better editor than EMACS, but of course it's for users who already know how computer works.
TwiztedTrucks
PHP editor is a good program on the go and wamp both good programs if you goin from computer to computer
iGniSz
I myself am partial to editplus! It's great .. but in the end I think it boils down to choosing an editor you like and reaaaaly get to know it! I, for instance, have been working with editplus for a long time and know how to extend and integrate with new environments and languages... I have used it with CVS, SVN, Git and lately mercurial! All through key strokes and shortcuts.. Editplus is even able to parse command output and make the editor jump to the exact file/line nr. on which some message was generated..

For a small taste of the power of editplus take a look at the wiki: http://editplus.info/wiki/Main_Page.
xxmassive
I think GTKradiant is the best scripting program that there is. But it isnt really a scripting program. But you can use alot editors on that editor. and cmd etc.....

download GTKradiant
Flarkis
there is only one editor and it is known as EMACS. Although if u are doing work on man different computers than vi is also worth a look.
Radar
For those in the Mac world, I recommend TextWrangler. Nice interface, simplistic, adjustable shortcuts, and good syntax highlighting.
amperx
well majority of my work is based on web development, and i used to use notepad++, until actionscript/flex came up, so i switch to flashdevelop..

its a good editor with multiple support for different languages Very Happy
milleja46
don't know if someone mentioned this, but Gedit if you are using linux.....has syntax highlighting depending on what you are using...
[FuN]goku
Depends on what you're doing. Any .NET related stuff, I just use Visual Studio. For mostly everything else, I use Notepad++, or on occasion, I'll use Notepad2. But Notepad++ is definitely a must in any programmer arsenal in my opinion.
Fire Boar
[FuN]goku wrote:
Depends on what you're doing. Any .NET related stuff, I just use Visual Studio. For mostly everything else, I use Notepad++, or on occasion, I'll use Notepad2. But Notepad++ is definitely a must in any programmer arsenal in my opinion.

It's a very good all-round Windows programming-oriented editor, I agree. However, it is not as convenient as IDEs geared towards specific languages, and it is not compatible with other operating systems which, fortunately, have equally good and sometimes better offerings.

So if you're developing on a Windows platform, having Notepad++ available is a very good choice - even if you are a Java/Eclipse user, having a good editor is worthwhile for quick edits that justify the use of a full-blown IDE.

On Linux, both vi and emacs offer very useful shortcuts and cater to two different categories of power user (I'm the vi type myself), but GUI editors can be more useful. In this regard I have used four editors: Geany (pretty good), Bluefish (good but the syntax highlighting algorithm isn't perfect), Gedit (think Notepad on steroids - it's a little simple and has limited options but does the job just fine) and Kate/KWrite (my favourite editor: it has a huge wealth of options and is very fast, supports lots of languages and offers convenient shortcuts).

I have no idea what to recommend on Mac.
ProwerBot
Notepad++ is the stuff for me. Gets everything done, and its do it yourself, no cheating WYSIWYG editors here!
Pengeszikra
I'm also use notepad++ for many program languages (AS2, AS3, HTML, XML, php and other ),
but when i started write some java program i try use Eclipse and NetBeans. This two editors, is give much more help for java programming. Best thing is a use javadoc and when use lot of object library that is really big advance for me.
Eclipse also good for Groovy, and now i work with some Excel -> XML and file automatize, there is Groovy much better than java, and i could use each java library.
NetBeans also have a great profiler for java.
But Eclipse is have lot of more plugin than NetBeans and could handle many programming languages.
Worst part of Eclipse and NetBeans is the large size, and run relative slow on old computer.
Notepad++ worst part is: run only on windows, and i can't use under linux, OSX.
milleja46
I have to disagree with you pengeszikra, you can use notepad++ on other OS's, ever heard of WINE?
Fire Boar
milleja46 wrote:
I have to disagree with you pengeszikra, you can use notepad++ on other OS's, ever heard of WINE?

Why would you use Wine to run a text editor? There are other text editors that are just as good which run natively. Running things on Wine is never quite as smooth as running them natively.

Yes, you could say "program XYZ runs fine on all operating systems with the help of Wine", but that doesn't change the fact that program XYZ is Windows-only.
Peterssidan
Lately I have been using Geany for writing mostly C++ and Haskell. I think it's a good simlpe editor.
milleja46
Fire Boar wrote:
milleja46 wrote:

Why would you use Wine to run a text editor? There are other text editors that are just as good which run natively. Running things on Wine is never quite as smooth as running them natively.

Yes, you could say "program XYZ runs fine on all operating systems with the help of Wine", but that doesn't change the fact that program XYZ is Windows-only.

Well the reason i say that is because not even i knew about it till several months ago, so i don't really know if everyone knows that with that you can run just about every application under the sun on linux if you have wine, there are a few exceptions, but most of the ones i have probs with are games(trackmania ESWC). But i have had no problem running firefox, which i needed for a game called fusionfall. Okay back on topic, there's also Sharpdevelop, and it's long lost sister project MonoDevelop....
welshsteve
I do almost all my cosing in Notepad++, and my CSS in TopStyle Lite. I do occasionally use Dreamweaver or MS Visual Web Developer Express.