FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What kind of OS do you prefer

webmike
Hello,

i am using till know windows xp prof. But i would know if linux is supported
by big firms like Audi or VW.

thx
carz
Linux
AftershockVibe
Uh, what do you mean by supported?

Given that VW and Audi and heavily into manufacturing (captain obvious comment of the century) then I'd be very suprised if they don't use Linux at some point.

It's unlikely to be on the average employee's desktop though.

As for contributing actual code to Free Software projects, I have no idea.
canassassin
i use windows, but im planning to switch over to linux because it is all so fast, and i love the part where its free lol.
surdy
I prefer LINUX.
Organizations worldwide are moving towards LINUX now , its not just the cost advantage but also peformance benifits
Studio Madcrow
I like Linux a lot. It works great on my hardware, runs the programs that I need to run and just plain generally works well.
lethaltriad
Right now i'm using Windows XP SP2 mainly because its compatible with the programs I need to run.
[FuN]goku
Prefer.... hmm.. it depends on what i want to do.. if i want go game, code or do some graphic work, i'll tend to stick with windows, but if i'm doing web development, testing stuff on the network i'll be more likely to go with linux, although there are a few games i play on linux cuz i find them to run a tad smoother, such as Toribash and Enemy territory.
ThePolemistis
AftershockVibe wrote:
Given that VW and Audi and heavily into manufacturing (captain obvious comment of the century) then I'd be very suprised if they don't use Linux at some point.

Linux is useful in the manufacturing industry? what programs? why?
csoftdev
linux is getting more and more "user friendly".
so why can't use linux?
there is no reason not to when the OS is free of charge.
there are so many free softwares out there for linux too.
flyfamilyguy
Linux Rocks! I currently dual-boot Ubuntu linux with Windows XP (Only because my wife is not comfortable with Linux yet) Pretty much everything that you have to purchase for Windows is available in Linux at no charge, including the OS itself.
smspno
I am using Linux (Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron) yet I have to keep Windows on my hard drive due to lack of drivers for my printer (Lexmark X2350).

But, in fact, I love Mac Os X. I am saving money to buy a MacBook but unfortunately, they are quite expensive here in Poland and I am still going to school so I don't earn any wage...
Bondings
I'm using Mandriva Linux. It's seems to be the best at supporting the hardware of my laptop. My sound doesn't work on most other Linux distributions. The lack of hardware support is what I don't like about Linux, but it's getting better every day I guess.
mathiaus
Windows. Yes I know it has it's problems and MS are 'bad' people, but know how to use it and its fairly good (XP < Vista Razz )

I have tried Linux in the past and had lots of problems, mainly with not having a clue how it worked, and ATI drivers (Ubuntu sort of worked, I should probably try their newest release at some point).

I have just brought an iMAC but due to never having used one before, I don't what I can do with it, how to do things etc. I guess it's just a matter of time, slowly learning little bits.
tdfranc
I use Linux since September last year,
and right now I'm making Linux From Scratch,
I should you recommend this if you already have had a first experience with Linux,
but you want to learn more about how it all works.

It's not at all difficult, ok, everything is done by the command line,
but they have wrote a very good manual, so that you can just read what you have to type.
The good thing about it is that they explain every single thing they do,
so if you've completed it, you know exact how your system works.

Here's the site, in case you're interested: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org
cod3rbro
Ubuntu, (Unique Beautiful Unlimited New Trust Unix) Smile
Flarkis
linuz + wine + compizfussion

Thats is all you will ever need.
ssthanapati
For my software needs linux dosent work. even if its free. I have to stick to windows
csoftdev
linux can be if they want to. but i don't know if they use it, but they definitely can if they want to.
prramesh
I was using windows for more than 6 years, 2 years ago I moved to MAC OSX and it's excellent to work on my research carrier..... Very Happy
ZenFountain
Windows for gaming, Linux for messing around Very Happy
revani
ZenFountain wrote:
Windows for gaming, Linux for messing around Very Happy

Windows for gaming, Linux for everything else! Programming in linux is fun. Linux has the greatest media player: Amarok. Without DirectX, Windows is nothing but a bunch of bugs.
LostOverThere
Bondings wrote:
I'm using Mandriva Linux. It's seems to be the best at supporting the hardware of my laptop. My sound doesn't work on most other Linux distributions. The lack of hardware support is what I don't like about Linux, but it's getting better every day I guess.

Mandriva is nice, though from my experiences the best at detecting hardware are Ubuntu, SuSE or PCLinux OS.
smspno
Now I'm using Ubuntu Linux 8.04 Hardy Heron. However, I am planning to buy a MacBook, so it's just a matter of time when I switch over to Mac OS X.

In my opinion this system is the most user-friendly OS. It has a solid UNIX base and both the most advanced and the simplest interface which makes using a Macintosh enjoyable.
J-Evil
I prefer using my Windows XP. I've used Linux before, but it just doesn't feel the same.
Diablosblizz
I perfer Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. Server is VERY stable, and I love how it runs, while XP is great for everyday use.
revani
smspno wrote:
In my opinion this system is the most user-friendly OS. It has a solid UNIX base and both the most advanced and the simplest interface which makes using a Macintosh enjoyable.

Apple used to say that Unix base isn't just good enough. It wasn't user-friendly and things like that. Now those quotes are edited and they now say "Mac OS is even better now, we are using powerful Unix!" We aren't geniuses, but we are smart enough to know that Apple is better at advertising than producing.

But i have to admit that what microsoft does now was done before by Apple. And was done better.
LostOverThere
Whether you like Microsoft or not is something else, but I'm sure everyone here would agree that Microsoft are very clever businessmen.
Psycho_X52
I like an OS that doesn't crashes when I install/uninstall an audio player (like Fedora Linux did)
Now I have dual boot so whenever Linux bugs me again with it's never-ending problems of dependencies, I switch to Windows untill I calm down. Then when I need a challange, I reboot-> Fedora and get the party goin' .
prithvi
Due to compatibility with applications that I use daily, I am still using Windows XP Pro with SP2.
Also majorly for gaming Cool

At my workplace, I use the 64-bit version.
Certain departments use Linux for reliability. Directors and creatives use Macs.
eznet
I prefer the free kind. I run the pay kind (xp) virtually from within Ubuntu to get the best of both worlds...

Example...
jdpd
I use vista, but for any quick jobs puppy linux works great!