FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firewalls

ssthanapati
I am using zone alarm pro with my windows vista. But it seems that it has slowed down the startup and shutdown process.

Earlier my laptop came with Sysmantec AV and firewall. But I uninstalled that.

Can u people suggest me something thats less resource hungry, wont slow down my Laptop startup and shutdown, as well as wont compromise with the security

BTW is windows firewall as a standalone gud enuf if I keep my lappy updated
badai
ya, windows built in firewall is good enough.
k_s_baskar
I am using AVG Internet Anti-Spyware which works as Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Spam, LinkScanner & Firewall and using less windows resources. Smile
MeddlingMonk
I use the freeware version of ZoneAlarm Firewall and AVG Anti-virus. Except for the anti-virus auto-update the first time you boot each day, I haven't noticed any major impact on my system's speed.

If the machine is taking time to boot and shutdown, try to minimise the amount of programs that automatically start with Windows. Also, if you have Vista, I recommend 2GB of RAM, if you don't have that already.
Craeft
Are you using 32 bit or 64 bit Vista? if it's 32 bit, I highly recommend Sygate for firewall, AVG for antivirus. If it's 64 bit, then go with Comodo. I just installed Comodo on here a little while ago and, though it's annoying at first (has to learn a bunch of crap), it's pretty good thereafter. And Comodo is free. Smile

To the person who said WIndows Firewall is good enough. I really hope you're joking. Windows firewall is useless to anyone who wants to manipluate the firewall for his or her specifications.
roninmedia
Windows Firewall is definitely not good enough for security. Although it is improved upon compared to previous versions of Windows, it is still fairly inadequate as the rules are too broad or vague and do not allow for a fully controllable or customizable rules for internet.

I've been using Kaspersky Internet Security for a while. It has a good series of default settings for a firewall and it has a great deal of leverage when it comes to making system specific rules. Kaspersky Internet Security isn't the most resource light firewall/anti-virus out there but it shouldn't be too heavy for you to notice as it does its work in the background.
bulek
I definitely recommend you Agnitum Outpost Firewall PRO. But watch out, don't install the newest version as it is not so good as older one was. That is because it was completely rewritten and therefore it's not so powerful yet.
You should install version 4.0.1025 build 700. It's the best firewall you can get out there.
kicy
badai wrote:
ya, windows built in firewall is good enough.

The windows firewall is the target for many hackers. Since its on every computer and someone who still uses that firewall instead of any other is considered easy prey.