FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cellphones...Should they be Banned in Some Uses?

Is Cellphone usage Dangerous in Some Circumstances?
No, it's harmless.
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Yes, in some cases.
72%
 72%  [ 21 ]
I don't use a cellphone.
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 29

Vrythramax
Recently in the area where I live a law was brought up (not passed yet) that would ban the use of cellphones while driving. I just heard there are some bans (details unknown) on cellphones in the UK already.

My question is simple....do YOU think it is safe to use a cellphone while driving?

Max
SpellcasterDX
Of course. Cells are most dangerous when driving. Any other time they [should] be fine.
[I think] in California they already have a law about that.

This especially applies to teens who text while driving...bad idea. But it also applies to adults. Like the ones who talk on the phone while driving. They tend to drive considerably under the limit, plus they aren't focusing on the road--they're focusing on their conversation.
a.Bird
Cellphones are already banned while driving in my area. While people seem to talk on them anyways, they are certainly detrimental to everyone's safety when used during vehicle operation. I consider myself to be quite perceptive and I notice many people driving and talking on the phone to the extent that I feel safe making a general correlation; those who drive while using a cell phone generally disobey many other traffic laws such as yielding properly and checking all of their mirror views when braking and turning, whereas those who aren't using a cell phone while driving obey more laws and are more aware of their surroundings. I don't condone cell phone use while driving.
gr8inferno
Has anyone heard about electromagnetic radiation emitted by the earpiece areas of wireless phones.? watch this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq298Ir4rHw

Then look at this Product (for US residents only)
Afaceinthematrix
California just passed a law (it was passed last year, but it takes effect starting July 1, 2008) banning cell phone use while driving unless you are using a hands-free device. This law is good for some people, because some people suck at driving while using their phones. It's a little inconvenient for me, because cell phone use doesn't effect my driving (well at least noticeably). I personally think that girls putting make-up on in the car is worse.
Drawingguy
You see it all the time on the road, and most of the time, the drivers are clearly distracted. They don't turn, or accelerate or whatnot at the appropriate times. It may not seem like much, but when you think about the fact that you're driving a massive block of steel, even casually at 20 mph, a little mistake can easily lead to larger problems.

Aren't there already laws to ban this, though? Maybe it's just New York, but I'm not sure
raine dragon
I don't know if it was New York, or New Jersey... but I know one of the states that my father commutes to occasionally has had (or still has) a law against using cell phones without hands-free headsets while driving. He had to buy one so that he would be able to answer his phone while in that state.

I personally think cell phones should not be used:
1) while driving
2) while in movie theaters
3) while in check-out lanes*

*as someone who has been on the other side of the counter, it's really a pain for the shop worker if you are on the phone during check-out, especially if you need, say, gift slips. Or separate receipts, or anything like that... because if we ask and you don't answer because you are on the phone, and then you turn around and yell at us.... it really sucks. And it happens all the time. x____x; such rude people!
the-guide
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Of course. Cells are most dangerous when driving. Any other time they [should] be fine.
[I think] in California they already have a law about that.

That's right and in my country (Thailand) it's prohibited by the law too.
Liu
I'm glad that they passed the law in CA banning the usage of cell phones while people are driving. Too many times have people almost hit me while they were on their phones.

Some corporations/businesses don't even allow you to answer business related calls even if you do have a hands free device.
ptfrances
I think they should be banned in public places like classes, administartion, museum, etc...

Wink
standready
Anything that distracts the driver is bad. Cell phone especially texting, changing the radio station/CD, eating, noisy passengers, etc. I am quilty! Of course, I have seen some strange things. Women putting on makeup, men shaving & one I won't talk about in mixed/young company.
Sphaerenkern
In germany, cell phones are banned for drivers when you don't have a hands-free car kit or at least a headset because you'd "lose" one hand then.
I usually drive with just one hand, but when there's a dangerous situation, you'll need both hands - and I doubt that you would have so good reflexes that you would immediately drop the phone.
Cell phones are also banned in my school, but nobody cares if it doesn't ring in class. Why should you turn it off when you can also just mute it anyway?
Davidgr1200
I quite agree with Reine Dragon. I have seen some VERY rude people talk in their cell phones all the time whilst in a checkout queue so that the cashier is unable to talk to them. It doesn't take much to just say to the person at the other end "Hold on a second I have to pay the cashier", but I've never heard one of those people do it. I think it's a bit like driving a car, once you are there you take no consideration of anybody or anything else. People become transformed on a telephone in a similar way to how some people become transformed in a car. I think it must have something to do with being cut off from reality. We already have car rage so I don't suppose it will be too long before we have phone rage: "Shut up, I'm trying to talk to someone on my mobile phone..."
itpsu47
quite agree with the-guide. Very Happy
jeremyp
Vrythramax wrote:
I just heard there are some bans (details unknown) on cellphones in the UK already

The details are: it is illegal to operate a cell phone (or any hand held equipment) in the UK while driving unless you have a hands free kit. In my opinion, they should go all the way and ban cell phones from being used by the driver altogether.
Vrythramax
jeremyp wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
I just heard there are some bans (details unknown) on cellphones in the UK already

The details are: it is illegal to operate a cell phone (or any hand held equipment) in the UK while driving unless you have a hands free kit. In my opinion, they should go all the way and ban cell phones from being used by the driver altogether.

Thank You, I had been told there was some laws in effect but I didn't have any details. It seems more and more communities are putting some kind of rules into affect.
molif
Cellphones should be BANNED from using while driving.. Period..

cos I have witnessed an accident that caused 5 deaths due to sleezy driver who uses the cellphone while driving, and he lost control of the car and hit the bus stop.. i feel sad for the victims who were just innocently waiting for their bus to go home/go meet someone/elsewhere..

the driver survived though..
Ghost Rider103
This law actually is already passed in California.

But I agree, they should be banned while driving, because in some situations, it can be very dangerous, like on the freeway/highway.
Arseniy
And we in Ukraine have no ideas with rejection of mobile phones.
They are very suitable and non-traumatical, so there is no point to do so.
And we use it with handsfree in the car, so it is absolutely safe.
vineeth
I am from India and the use of cell phones while driving is an offence here. I have a friend who was riding a motor bike and met with a serious accident. He was holding his cell phone on one hand and controlling his bike with the other. In a sharp turn, he was unable to control his bike and it hit on a truck. He is now suffering from severe spinal injuries and unable to even move his body...

This is true also for car and other vehicles. You just can't handle your vehicle with one hand when it is an emergency.

Even if you are using a hands-free set, the concentration you are paying will depend on the seriousness of the matter. If you are more concerned about the talks over the phone than on the road, you may end up in a serious accident. Always remember, accidents does not kills always but will send you to the bed for ever, horrible than death.

I am strongly against using cell phones while driving. Road is not only yours....
Bockman
Vrythramax wrote:
jeremyp wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

Thank You, I had been told there was some laws in effect but I didn't have any details. It seems more and more communities are putting some kind of rules into affect.

Actually i think that is an European Community directive and it is to be applied to all the EU countries (don't know if all have applied this directive though). Here in Portugal it's exactly the same as in the U.K.

As for your initial question, Max:

No, I don't. Using a cell phone while driving is something that can get a driver distracted and can cause accidents (they happened here all the time), or even if they are not distracted by it (which i don't believe is possible), there are physical limitations to what you can do while keeping your phone in your hand and another on the wheel. Most of the people who do this end up forgetting to signal when they are changing lanes or direction.

As for the current ruling here in the E.U. (prohibiting the use of cell phones without a hands free kit) I think it's a good policy, although it only focuses on the physical limitations of the cell phone while driving. The mental part will always be harder to prevent, since most people nowadays are addicted to cell phones (I'm including myself yes), but I have seen people get into accidents because they were having an argument over the phone and didn't see what was going on in the road.

Be Well Cool
karysky
I think it's safe with the blue tooth technology.

It becomes dangerous when you have to fumble with the buttons...
lone_hunter
no they aren't dangerous if you not a friggin retard and decide to pay more attention to your conversation than the road. maybe they should only let good drivers talk on thier cell phones while driving. I have no idea how they would do that but wouldn't that be cool. i get to talk on my cell phone while driving and don't have to worry about complete retards running into me
pll
Vrythramax wrote:
Recently in the area where I live a law was brought up (not passed yet) that would ban the use of cellphones while driving

So, you live in Quebec ? ( canada )

I live there and they banned cell phone using while driving.
You need to use a bluetooth headset to speak to someone with your cell phone.

I dont understand why they did that.
I agree that a conversation can deconcentrate some people from driving. But WE CAN SPEAK WITH OUR CELL PHONE IF WE HAVE A BLUETOOTH HEADSET ?

What's that! I think that if you can speak through a headset you should be able to speak with the phone in your hand too.
It's to liberate your hands... But I think that it's the conversation that deconcentrate you from the highway.
I don't understand what's the matter to have it this way.
ocalhoun
They certainly should be illegal to use while driving. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that develop in the US. It is already a rule on US military bases. That may be because there is a lot more foot traffic there than in most places, so extra road safety is needed.
Genesiz
A cellphone is basically just a distraction, and like any other distraction it can be dangerous. There's even some concern over using bluetooth whilst driving, as apparently talking whilst driving can increase your reaction time (i.e. make it worse), thereby making it more likely to have a crash.

If they've outlawed cellphones, its only time before they outlaw children in cars, another distraction Very Happy Very Happy
ThornsOfSorrow
Here in Connecticut, there is already a law banning cell phone use while driving except in cases where a headset is being used. However, no one takes it seriously, even the police. While I'm not sure exactly what the fine is, I know it's quite low compared to other offenses, so a lot of people still take the risk of talking while driving.

Despite its ineffectiveness, I support the cell phone ban, as I know that my ability to drive decreases a lot when trying to concentrate on both a conversation and the road. I know that some people are great at multitasking, but there are just as many who are not, and some of them don't even know how bad their driving gets when using a cell phone. And I can't stand when people text while driving; nothing can be so important that the lives of every other driver in the area need to be endangered. There are a lot of obstacles to be encountered when driving (mainly involving having to avoid the mistakes of other drivers), so it's best to be ready for them.
[FuN]goku
Here in NS canada, they banned Cell phone driving, unless you got one of those earpieces.
KatanaSky
I believe it is dangerous in some cases - I.e when people have their phone up against their ear and they drive stick-shift (I don't find that as skillful, just plain dangerous). I don't think it's harmful if you are speaking on the phone but you are doing so with an ear piece (or blue tooth headsets). I don't even think it's a good idea to have the phone against your ear while you're driving an automatic car.

..and unless you have a really strong speaker phone, I don't think it's safe to use if you're still having to hold the phone in hand.
ainieas
Not talking about driving - what about when people take pictures of absolute strangers without permission. I've seen my friends doing it - specially when there's some good looking girl around. I know this guy who only takes pics of girls from behid. Get my point right.
And then again the advent of camera phones have also ushered in a new voyeuristic world where mobile phone videos of people indulging in various sex acts abound and no one hesitates spreading these around.
medievalman26
Well, from what I have seen, people are more likely to get into an accident while driving. Then again, you can get into one from drunk driving, eating while driving, talking to other people in the car, and millions of other reasons. I know they are banning it where I live in a few weeks. You can still drive with a hands free phone device though. But I think you look strange talking to yourself. It is a good thing that they are trying to help with accident prevention.
nigam
I totally agree to banned using cellphones not only when driving but during also class hours, churches, and all places that needs focus, attentions, silence and also a place in hospital operating rooms!
Feroc1ty
I believe that cell phones are far from harmful, they are safe, if you get attacked, what's the first thing you would do? Personally I would call 911 while running the hell out of the spot.
vineeth
Of course, you need to restrict the use of cell phones in certain circumstances. These includes but not limited to

- Driving
- Hospitals
- Inside college and school classes
- Prayers
- Churches
therealchrismarsh
I got told to turn mine off on a plane after I was sure it had been anounced it was ok to use them...
carl_fernandes
Cell phones should surely be banned while driving.. Its very dangerous to talk and drive. Its always advisable to pull over and take the call rather then take it while driving...
lastelement0
carl_fernandes wrote:
Cell phones should surely be banned while driving.. Its very dangerous to talk and drive. Its always advisable to pull over and take the call rather then take it while driving...

i dont think this would be a good thing to do. pulling over on the side of the highway i feel is dangerous in itself. i just don't trust any other drivers out on the road. i've seen to many police videos on tv where a car ends up hitting a car thats on the side of the highway. it just seems like its adding to the possibility of an accident with this.

what does bug me though is the people who talk on their cell phone when they are in the left most lane and they are driving at least 10 mph slower than they should be if they are going to be in that lane. and since they are so focused on their call don't realize how slow they are going in relation to the rest of traffic in that lane. especially where im from where its required by law to have a hands free device if you are going to talk on your phone. yet of course the cops are never around to get those when it happens. and i assure you there are plenty of them. i saw at least 3 or 4 people doing this on my 30 minute drive to work.
eday2010
I think they should be banned outright. Well, not banned, because that takes away a freedom people have, but I wish some kind of solar storm would come along and destroy all cellphones, cellphone towers and satellites. Cellphones are annoying toys. Nobody really NEEDS a cellphone. People got along fine without them 20 years ago. Anyone who needs acellphone can get along with a pager. Cellphones make things too convenient for people, and convenience makes people and society lazy. I refuse to get a cellphone, and hopefully will never own one Smile
AFriedman
In my home state, cellphones were banned while driving unless you have an earpiece. I think the result was to make people more likely to bring an earpiece. It was a good idea to do this, because cellphones ARE dangerous and cause accidents.
AFriedman
But perhaps we should require people to carry cell phones in certain high crime or highly dangerous areas, as a crime deterrent? If people are more likely to carry cell phones, I think it would make criminals more concerned about attacking them.
pll
eday2010 wrote:
I think they should be banned outright. Well, not banned, because that takes away a freedom people have, but I wish some kind of solar storm would come along and destroy all cellphones, cellphone towers and satellites. Cellphones are annoying toys. Nobody really NEEDS a cellphone. People got along fine without them 20 years ago. Anyone who needs acellphone can get along with a pager. Cellphones make things too convenient for people, and convenience makes people and society lazy. I refuse to get a cellphone, and hopefully will never own one Smile

Wow I like your way of thinking but I don't think like you.
We could say that 100 years ago people got along fine without using electricity?

Seriously, you really made me think about a lot of stuff saying this !
BugBear
I think that it is a bit dangerous when someone talks on the cellphone and drives(taking this from what I see firsthand). I mean if it's an emergency I think it's fine and all but most people talk while driving to kill time and most of those people don't use a hands-free thing.

Also about the ban in California wasn't it only against people 18 and younger? At least that's what I think I heard.........
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
Recently in the area where I live a law was brought up (not passed yet) that would ban the use of cellphones while driving. I just heard there are some bans (details unknown) on cellphones in the UK already.

My question is simple....do YOU think it is safe to use a cellphone while driving?

Max

DEFINITELY!!!!

In the first instance for purposes of safe driving it should be a law everywhere in the world against using a cell phone when a driver is driving, even if he has ear phones as it takes just a minor distraction to create an accident.

Then use of cell phones should be banned at conferences and symposia. Out of courtesy to others. Also in restaurants as some people tend to have booming voices, and apart from being lack of courtesy for someone to answer their cell phone in the company of others at their tables, it could also be annoying to people who are sitting in the same restaurant.

Quite a number of people still have their cell phones turned on when they attend conferences and I think there should be special gadgets for blocking calls in the radius of the conference space.
ashish2005
It's a good thing that cellphones have been banned from being used while people are driving. I heard that it's very dangerous to drive and use cellphones at the same time but I see people doing it. I see people inside cars talking on their phones nicely and driving with their other hand. I also see people who ride bikes using a cellphone which they put it in their helmets and they talk.

There are no laws in my area/country stopping this but I wish there was because talking and driving lead to accidents. In my country people are only made aware of such things by the means of hoarding boards and television/radio.
PatTheGreat42
Cellphones should not be used to kill babies.

That's mean.
jon_k
yes they should be banned but some poeple dont apply by those like in the state of NY i know that they are prohibbited while driving but so many people still use them the law just isn't enough to make people stop
Srs2388
Texting and driving can be dangerous, however just talking on the phone... I don't see that as being dangerous I do it.
Dakafall
I think they should ban the use of cell phones in cars, where I live if you are under 18 you cant use a cell phone while driving what so ever and I totally agree with it. Why risk somones life over a single phone call. If it truly is important pull over and take the call.