FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A good FTP program?

ocalhoun
I've spoiled myself with the features of Smart FTP, but it wants to be licensed and bought after a certain time of using it.

Specifically what I like is the ability to do server-to-server transfers without downloading, and the ability to have many 'workers' so that you can upload/download many small files simultaneously. Also a must have is the ability to pause an upload/download and resume it later.

Anybody have some suggestions?
rafifaisal
Well I am using Smart FTP and must say I don't regret using it.
Even if it asks every time to be registered...
So what. it just a click away.
Craeft
ocalhoun wrote:
I've spoiled myself with the features of Smart FTP, but it wants to be licensed and bought after a certain time of using it.

Specifically what I like is the ability to do server-to-server transfers without downloading, and the ability to have many 'workers' so that you can upload/download many small files simultaneously. Also a must have is the ability to pause an upload/download and resume it later.

Anybody have some suggestions?

I was using CuteFTP Pro and then switched to FileZilla. Incredible little package. Now, however, that I have a 64-bit system, it's incompatible. Sad
But when I could use it, I loved it.
alfi
I have used Smart ftp.Its the one i think the best..
the-guide
I've using FileZilla and it work very well without any problem occur.
sheedatali
I will go with FileZilla, it is free too Smile
roninmedia
I would put my support and recommendations behind FileZilla. It has all the features you need and you can't beat the cost of free software.
carz
use cuteftp or leap ftp
Da Rossa
Filezilla is the way to go. Free, opensource, friendly and simple. Or else use your filemanager's FTP feature, like xplorer˛ has.
Arnie
Tried looking at (OMG) Wikipedia?
bulek
My personal favorite is FlashFXP. However, there is very good free alternative client Filezilla. You may try both and then decide yourself, which one better suits for you.
canassassin
I use filezilla all the time.
Great ftp program with everything you could need.
Works great and never had any problems with it.
Da Rossa
canassassin wrote:
I use filezilla all the time.
Great ftp program with everything you could need.
Works great and never had any problems with it.

And Filezilla is just an example of free program that is so perfect that people should use it, don't spend money with shareware ftp clients, and let their develops think about something else.
ocalhoun
Arnie wrote:

Ah, but isn't recommendations from real people (who have no vested interest in getting you to use any specific program) more likely to steer you to the products that have real quality?
Ghost Rider103
Well I don't use it much, but when I do need it I use FileZilla, but I can't say it's the best out their since it's the only one I ever used.
czc587
I like ws_ftp. It also has the server to server transfer, and also some nice tools like a scheduler so you schedule reoccuring taks, such as a transfer once a day at a certain time.
dude_xyx
I have used Filezilla for nearly 5 years and haven't had any problem at all. Its free too. I think its one of the best open source programs you can find on net.
Arnie
ocalhoun wrote:
Arnie wrote:
Ah, but isn't recommendations from real people (who have no vested interest in getting you to use any specific program) more likely to steer you to the products that have real quality?
Do the Wikipedia editors have such interest?
Da Rossa
Arnie wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Arnie wrote:
Do the Wikipedia editors have such interest?

May be and may be not. The 'editors' may include interested people, like in the political articles.
lethaltriad
I think most ftp programs do the functions that you require of them. Currently i'm using Smart FTP also, does pretty much what I need.. update my website. Used to use Cute FTP , WS FTP and FlashFXP also and they were also all capable ftp programs.
Da Rossa
lethaltriad wrote:
I think most ftp programs do the functions that you require of them. Currently i'm using Smart FTP also, does pretty much what I need.. update my website. Used to use Cute FTP , WS FTP and FlashFXP also and they were also all capable ftp programs.

One more reason not to pay for a FTP client. FZ does the job!
csoftdev
smartftp or cuteftp are good programs for ftping. there are many free programs out there if you simply do a googling around. those freewares are quite good and more than sufficient for standard ftp process.
Kelcey
WSFTP and CUTEFTP are great.
bissoboa
ocalhoun wrote:

Infact I always prefer free software (GPL) as a chioce. In many cases after a little search you can find programs that work better than the commercials equivalents, and are lighter too.

ocalhoun wrote:

I've got linux installed. I think mc (midnight commander) can do this easy task. Just select the first ftp site on the left panel and the second ftp site on right panel you are done Cool
ericjordi
i like smart ftp client !
RedFalcon2631
CuteFtp is the way to go.
It is a amazing ftp client. Very Happy

But you dont always need a ftp client to connect to ftp you can always use internet ex or firefox (Not that sure on fire fox)

All you need to do is this

ftp://(Theservername)

Then a user and pass thing should come up Very Happy
driftingfe3s
RedFalcon2631 wrote:
CuteFtp is the way to go.
It is a amazing ftp client. Very Happy

But you dont always need a ftp client to connect to ftp you can always use internet ex or firefox (Not that sure on fire fox)

All you need to do is this

ftp://(Theservername)

Then a user and pass thing should come up Very Happy

I second that. I love CuteFTP. I've tried FlashFXP and Filezilla as well, but I think CuteFTP is the best.
dodhee
I'm preferred FileZilla. It's free, simple to use that's good for me Smile
welshsteve
Years ago I used CuteFTP (when it was free). ALthough my favourite ftp program is SmartFTP, but it stopped working on my machine after the trial so I looked for a free alternative and found Filezilla, which I have been using ever since. Very simple to use.
SHARPBALL
why don't u buy it. smartftp
Great value for the monny in other words it's verry cheap word the bucks

i use it all the time, especially the administration rights are great
buy it

Wink
Jaan
FlashFXP is the best there was, the best there is, and the best there will be. Highly recommended.
parmaster
Everyone seems to say SmartFtp i have tried it and have not found it to have as good an interface and as user friendly as CuteFtp. Havent spent to much time using SmartFtp though to be fair.
themit
Filezilla. Gets the job done as a free FTP program. It has also improved compared to what it was a couple of years ago. Back then, it had a terrible interface, but it's OK now.
realtrue
Filezilla is very good because it is stable,alway updated, easyto use, can save our account, and the most important it is free.
westcp
i concur with you guys. Filezilla is probbaly the bes ti used.

i was lazy and used xp's inbuilt ftp system, and then upgraded to vista (or is that a downgrade??) and then got filezila

free

multiple 'accounts' so you can load all your ftp passes etc into it.

really good.

cheers
tsuvik
Filezilla Anyday. It is simply awesome and more over it is free.
pspnl
use filezilla
Da Rossa
Filezilla is the way to go, no need for other programs!!
chartcentral
I only use FTP occasionally and don't really need a lot of features. The software I use for my FTP needs is FTP Surfer. It's free and it's light. Smile
MoneyMonsterMail
The best free Programm is File Zilla
cyberbuddy
i perfer Cute FTP and the reason is its quite sleek in nature ie in all probability if we see it does has a good API and also it works if the bandwidth of our internet connection is less .It does not fail in any means even many uploading of files is operated. Resource management is a key factor and yes it has satisfied that also
Idoru
Used to go with ws-ftp out of old habbit, up untill I tried file-zilla Surprised)
My wife doesn't like mozilla firefox, and I don't like to have two web-browsers installed, so though I prefer
firefox I don't get to use it to much, but when it comes to ftp it's my turf, and I get to decide Smile
Filezilla rocks.
ggrbgl
Of all the FTP-Clients available today, FileZilla is the most Web developer/administrator-friendly one.
FileZilla gave me the functionality I needed and was searching for. It showed me what a REAL FTP client is all about...
rockacola
I'm using FileZilla.. and been happily ever after since the first time...
before that (late 90s) I've tried WS FTP and CuteFTP.
ParsaAkbari
I use microsofts ftp program. easy + simple.
thienxa1
Filezilla is the best.I Like it because it very siply and portable.
albuferque
In my humble opinion: Filezilla is just enough
Razz
Agent ME
ParsaAkbari wrote:
I use microsofts ftp program. easy + simple.

Windows explorer or Internet explorer? Neither of them let you do any tasks like setting file permissions or viewing the messages the server sends to you. I guess those programs are enough for someone who needs to grab a file off of an ftp server every once in a while.
soljarag
i use FileZilla FTP Client ... free and works great.... I use it to upload stuff to my site all the time...
frenz
me too i prefer FileZilla its free & open source it is always updated
g7clan
FileZila is perfect, use it for my transfering files to my website and ive used the server side version to send files to my mates pc, pretty useful if you ask me.
David_Pardy
Another vote for FileZilla

Easy to use, and professional enough for me to use on a few work computers in place of an old version of WinComm which was having problems with an upgraded FTP system.
loydcampbell
I used to use WS_FTP Pro but had to buy a new license and opted for FileZilla. It is a very nice free program, but I still like WS_FTP Pro better. It seems to do the "keep alive" thing better than FZ. I have to frequently reconnect with FZ and almost never had that problem with WS_FTP. Also, the sound effects told me for sure that my file had been transferred, and I can't find that function in FZ.
Scubaman2051
I tried FTP commander. But with everyone suggesting Filezilla, I think I might have to try that instead.