FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ISP Limiting Downloads?

jwellsy
How can you tell if your Internet Service Provider decides to limit your downloads?
How can you tell it's not an issue with a full cache or something else on your computer that's the bottleneck.
Craeft
jwellsy wrote:
How can you tell if your Internet Service Provider decides to limit your downloads?
How can you tell it's not an issue with a full cache or something else on your computer that's the bottleneck.

call them and aske them, Chances are, they are. Cable ISPs will limit downloads. Satellite companies will monitor bandwidth. DSL often does *though I know Qwest doesn't* as well. The only two types of ISPs that I have found that believe that since you paid for your bandwidth, it's yours, are 900MHz terrestrial and dial-up. Dial-up
s pretty useless anymore, which pretty much drops to one type. hehe...

Really, the only way would be to call and ask. Don't tell them you were downloading or anything. Just say, "I transfer a lot of image and soundfiles for the work I do, and was wondering if there is a cap on bandwidth usage." If they say something arrogant (which they probably will) like, "You won't have to worry about that, you'll have plenty of bandwidth." Just tell them to answer the question. They typically try to evade those questions, especially if there is a cap.
deviator
Craeft wrote:
jwellsy wrote:

call them and aske them, Chances are, they are. Cable ISPs will limit downloads. Satellite companies will monitor bandwidth. DSL often does *though I know Qwest doesn't* as well. The only two types of ISPs that I have found that believe that since you paid for your bandwidth, it's yours, are 900MHz terrestrial and dial-up. Dial-up
s pretty useless anymore, which pretty much drops to one type. hehe...

Really, the only way would be to call and ask. Don't tell them you were downloading or anything. Just say, "I transfer a lot of image and soundfiles for the work I do, and was wondering if there is a cap on bandwidth usage." If they say something arrogant (which they probably will) like, "You won't have to worry about that, you'll have plenty of bandwidth." Just tell them to answer the question. They typically try to evade those questions, especially if there is a cap.

Or do what most people do, Google it. I'm sure millions of people asked the same thing over and over. So no point in calling and waiting for an hour on hold and then they put you on hold for another 10 minutes before replying your question. If you want to know how to find it on google, just type:

"Name of your ISP" "Name of the plan you use on your ISP" "Bandwidth limit".

Of course change the first 2 quotes to whatever your you use. Scroll down if you need too =P.
Diablosblizz
Most ISP's do limit the amount of Bandwidth you use. If you are on High-Speed you should have really high bandwidth. I have High-Speed and I get 60 GB of bandwidth per month. If you are talking about how many downloads you can do per day I doubt anybody would do that.
sheedatali
If you ISP has been honest then they would not have changed TOS markings on packets, try to run a packet capture using TCPDUMP (Linux) or Wireshark (Windows). Capture at a time when you think your bandwidth is being throttled, do a 10 minutes capture and then look at the TOS field in each IP packet, if the TOS field is consistently given low priority for things like bittorrent etc then they are throttling it. Some ISP's cheat by not letting you see these, they just reset everything to 0x00, if you see TOS on each packet set to 0x00, even for DNS packets or VOIP traffic then they certainly have something sitting between you and internet changing that. If you do not understand any of the the above, then follow the advice from previous posters, give them a call and moan. Smile
brokenadvice
Even if you have "unlimited" service, your ISP will always cap it at some point (probably about 5 or 6 gigs a month). Plus you have the physical capacity of the wires to transfer the data. If your whole neighborhood is on the same node, and you are all online at once your speeds will be slowed, and your ISP might cap it to reduce the congestion.
roninmedia
You have to check with your ISP. I download a lot each month and I've never gone to the point where it was capped. I know with mine, I get 75 gigs of total bandwidth a month. You should make sure to clarify with your ISP when they quote your bandwidth usage if it is total bandwidth or they separate it. For example, Comcast sets limits at 10 gigs of download per month and 1 gig of upload a month. Just reminding you because I know other ISPs in my area do not cap uploads.
carz
thanks
AftershockVibe
Azureus (the BitTorrent Client) has a wiki writeup of various ISPs and their last known filtering methods.

Check it out:
http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs
ddukki
Thanks, AftershockVibe. I didn't even know ISP's could do anything about encrypted traffic, till now.
Craeft
brokenadvice wrote:
Even if you have "unlimited" service, your ISP will always cap it at some point (probably about 5 or 6 gigs a month). Plus you have the physical capacity of the wires to transfer the data. If your whole neighborhood is on the same node, and you are all online at once your speeds will be slowed, and your ISP might cap it to reduce the congestion.

That's not necessarily true. There are quite a few ISPs out there who do not cap you. Again, I don't know of any 900MHz Terrestrial ISP who caps.
dickyzin
I would just log onto my account on the web and check the status of my connection, such as bandwidth, download limit, etc.