FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Snake-Eating Crab

miacps
A couple nights ago I went looking for blue crabs in a brackish canal and happened upon something you don't see everyday. There was a little miniature stream flowing into the canal and sitting in the middle of it was a big blue crab with what I thought was strange looking vegetation in his claws. I quickly scooped him up in my dip net and when I peered into the net I realized he was actually munching on a live snake.

The snake was very pissed off as the crab chewed his face with his little... uh... whatever it is a crab eats with.

The snake:

"I don't know no snakes." Anyone know what kind it is?

The damage:

The offender, strangely more red/brown than blue:

The snake didn't move for about 30 minutes after I got it away from the crab but slowly started to get its energy back. I took him home and let him go by the lake out back. The next morning I looked for him but couldn't find him so he may have survived.
Kelvin
Interesting find there. I wonder what actually made the snake 'stunt' or 'motonless' for the crab to munch on it. The pincers held it so firm the snake couldn't move? So what do you actually plan to do with that crab? Cook it?
bonestorm74
Good work crab!
miacps
Kelvin wrote:
Interesting find there. I wonder what actually made the snake 'stunt' or 'motonless' for the crab to munch on it. The pincers held it so firm the snake couldn't move? So what do you actually plan to do with that crab? Cook it?

Most likely the snake was swimming across the stream and the crab snatched it down into the water before it could really do anything. Theres not much a snake can do against an armor plated crustacean. I've seen how aggressive blue crab can be, it surprises me that they're often considered scavengers. They seem to be predators first, scavengers second.

We boiled the two crabs we caught and the smaller one was delicious, but the big one (snake eater) let out a bad stink when I put him in the pot, so we didn't end up eating him. Sad
driftingfe3s
miacps wrote:

Most likely the snake was swimming across the stream and the crab snatched it down into the water before it could really do anything. Theres not much a snake can do against an armor plated crustacean. I've seen how aggressive blue crab can be, it surprises me that they're often considered scavengers. They seem to be predators first, scavengers second.

We boiled the two crabs we caught and the smaller one was delicious, but the big one (snake eater) let out a bad stink when I put him in the pot, so we didn't end up eating him. Sad

Yeah, if that crab was eating that snake it must of been eating some other funky stuff, which made it all nasty smelling. Did you catch the two other crabs in the same area? Also, do you just use a net to catch crabs?

I've been crabbing once when I went to visit some cousins in Virgina. We tied up chicken to some ropes and tossed them int the water and pulled them up with the crab, and hopefully the crab didn't let go untill we got our hands out it. It would of helped if we had a net, but it was a spur of the moment thing and we weren't prepaired.
Coclus
Killer crap...
PatTheGreat42
I woulda eaten that crab. That's some well-fed crab. And maybe the snake too. Boy am I hungry.
nivinjoy
Like to get that crab...So that i can kill all the snakes in my place...Though they are non poisonous..its just a disturbance...!!! Laughing Cool Laughing
BPrice
that is one hungry crab to take on a snake like that and get what looks like a fair amount to eat of it.

well done crab
ashen
Poor snake.
That crab must be too starving. The crab is bigger than the snake, maybe he think he can eat the snake. Confused