FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

why a pineaple is called so

fx-trading-education
One thing that puzzled me.
In many countries the exotic fruit called "Pineapple" (sic) in English is named "Ananas" or something close.
How come English people have succeded to call that pineapple.
- it doesn't grow on a tree
- it doesn't look like an apple
- it doesn't come from a pine tree.

Did they think it looks like a giant real pineapple? (the one that is the fruit of the pine tree).

Any idea for this mistery?
datter
Wikipedia to the rescue!

Quote:
Etymology

The name pineapple in English comes from the similarity of the fruit to a pine cone.

The word "pineapple", first recorded in 1398, was originally used to describe the reproductive organs of conifer trees (now termed pine cones). When European explorers discovered this tropical fruit, they called them "pineapples" (term first recorded in that sense in 1664) because it resembled what we know as pine cones. The term "pine cone" was first recorded in 1694 to replace the original meaning of "pineapple".[1]

In the scientific binomial Ananas comosus, ananas, the original name of the fruit, comes from the Tupi (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) word for pine nanas, as recorded by André Thevenet in 1555 and comosus means "tufted" and refers to the stem of the fruit.[citation needed] Other members of the Ananas genus are often called pine as well by laymen.

In Spanish pineapples are called ananá ("ananás", in Spain) or piña (see the piña colada drink). A large, sweet pineapple grown especially in Brazil is called abacaxi (/abaka'ʃiː/).[citation needed] In Tamil (Indian Ancient Language) is called "Annachi Pazham". In Bengali, pineapples are called "anarosh".
fx-trading-education
Ok thanks.

But when it is written "Europeans" it means probably British because I most other European countries they prefer to use the local terminology rather than comparing that to a pine cone.
(you imagine the size of the tree that could produce such giants pine cones)
ocalhoun
^Actually, some pine trees make cones almost as big as a pineapple.

Thanks for the wikipedia article! I had always assumed it was called so because it was kind of a cross between a pine cone and an apple.
Vrythramax
ocalhoun wrote:
^Actually, some pine trees make cones almost as big as a pineapple.

Thanks for the wikipedia article! I had always assumed it was called so because it was kind of a cross between a pine cone and an apple.

Your too funny Smile

But this topic has run it's course.

-closed-