FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

2008 Shutdown Day

escritor
Can you survive for 24 hours without your computer ?

Are you going to take part?
a.Bird
Probably not. I'd rather just leave my computer on and take advantage of any extra internet bandwidth I can get with everyone else's computers turned off.

Seriously, the whole idea sounds a bit gimmicky. If this is purely for experimental and educational purposes, why is it proprietary to a specific website? Why do I have to register at http://shutdownday.org in order to "learn about events"? There seems to be some other agenda behind this. Honestly, what would happen if everyone turned off their computers for one day? Probably nothing at all. Internet advertisement revenues dip for a single day and more TV will be watched but otherwise things will go right back to normal the next day.
datter
If it's on a weekend, and I can still access my xbox 360 I'll be fine. Otherwise, no.
Arseniy
Nerds Confused
I can live without my computer as long as it needs.
Last year I was in hospital for nearly a month without any computers or even TV.
So it's absolutely not hard for me.
Liu
My life revolves around the computer because of work (Software Developer / IT Consultant) as such sometimes I get sick of being on the computer. So the answer is 'no', I don't think it will be hard to keep away for 24 hours since it would be a much needed break Smile
coolclay
Sure why not I was going Kayaking anyway. A day without checking my email is healthy.
Aless
Those things are pretty gimmicky anyway...day without TV, day with computers, etcetc. What's the point? What's to be gained? I can turn off my computer anyday - I don't need a specific "day" to do it!

Razz
redchic
my job is computers and everything things else related so no. other than my job well yes.
ankitdatashn
Well If you say on a hectic day when I would have to use my computer I would say very difficult, but on a casual day when I wanna relax ya sure.

I am complete computer addict, I would refresh the same page 5 times although knowing there won't be any change but still, logging for 10-12 hours and just staring at the computer screen.

But these days I am kinda freaked up by my computer, its hell lotta slow and I don't know why I am getting depressed by technology, If I get a chance of an outing and a day full of computer masti(enjoyment) I would prefer the outing.......
kerryworkman
I turn my computer off for days at a time, whenever, I don't need it for work. I don't see the point. Is it to raise awareness about too much computer usage? I think everyone is already pretty aware if their computer use is out of hand, and one day will change nothing. Another lame attempt at getting someone's half @$$*& message across, come up with something original already. I took my bike to work instead of driving on the day we were all supposed to. The only thing I learned is that it sucks to watch everyone else drive by you as you are struggling to get your bike up a steep hill. Sad
Vrythramax
Nope, not me. The only way I could go without a computer is if I were in the hospital or something....at least until I could get my laptop in there Smile
Guelila
I guess I could if I really wanted to Smile
apple
I could have sworn I posted in this topic before!
Is there 2 of them?

Anyway...

No, I am not taking part cause I gotta work.
driftingfe3s
a.Bird wrote:
Probably not. I'd rather just leave my computer on and take advantage of any extra internet bandwidth I can get with everyone else's computers turned off.

Seriously, the whole idea sounds a bit gimmicky. If this is purely for experimental and educational purposes, why is it proprietary to a specific website? Why do I have to register at http://shutdownday.org in order to "learn about events"? There seems to be some other agenda behind this. Honestly, what would happen if everyone turned off their computers for one day? Probably nothing at all. Internet advertisement revenues dip for a single day and more TV will be watched but otherwise things will go right back to normal the next day.

Yeah it does sound a bit gimmicky, but I think they want you to register with them becuase they want to know how many people were involved to see if it was a sucess or not. Thats only a guess though, for all I know they are selling the email list.
airh3ad
I can survive without computer man im a computer addict its not mean i cannot live without computer , sounds like Over acting or you are crazy if you can't live without computers, i know technology helps a lot to human but remember computer is just only machines. computer control man & man control computers...
DjMilez
What the heck is the point of this again....?

What is up with all these days to not do something.... Naked CSS day, Shutdown day... WTF?

No thanks, not for me. I'll just use the extra bandwidth from people who followed this...
Ghost Rider103
There is already a thread on this, and is still on the first page in the general chat.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-91467.html
Helios
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
There is already a thread on this, and is still on the first page in the general chat.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-91467.html

-close-

Please, no back-seat moderating next time, Ghost Wink