FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Guess the film. (Round D: current 1st Prize: 160 Frih$)

MaxStirner
Guess the film and win FRIH$:
  1. Round A: (25 Frih$)
    1. Clue: "The Greek influence was undeniable"

Rules:
  • A short clue will start off the round.
  • Further clues will be posted after a few guesses are in (or after 12 to 24 hours).
  • There is a limit of five guesses / participant between clues (just so no one posts the IMDb database).
  • All films are allowed, but they will be internationally distributed and well known productions (between 1930 and 2008), usually American or British, possibly European or other if they received sufficient attention.
  • The first correct guess in the posts list will receive the prize.
  • The prize money will differ from round to round, depending on the difficulty.
  • The winner can, if he/she would like, host the next round. If not I'll restart one myself.
  • The use of search-engines is expressly allowed (EDIT: added May 5th, 2008)

* = Don't take the "12 to 24 hours" too literally since (a) I might need some sleep and (b) customers have the nasty habit of placing orders at the most inappropriate times and demand immediate service (although I love deadlines ... especially the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by).
hunnyhiteshseth
Is is Gladiator?
MaxStirner
Nice try, but no.
  1. Round A:
    1. Clue: "The Greek influence was undeniable"
    2. Clue: "Toga! Toga! Toga!" and "Delta and Omega" are some examples of this.
truespeed
Animal House.
MaxStirner
truespeed wrote:
Animal House.

Congratulations!
The last clue was a bit too simple I suppose Smile. Would you like to post one? If not, I'll start a new round tomorrow.

P.S. The check is in the mail.
MaxStirner
Nice try, but no.
  • Round B (60 FRIH$, a bit more difficult):
    1. Clue: "His only movie in drag."
truespeed
Tootsie?
MaxStirner
    2. Clue: "'It was the director's first film shot in post-WW II Europe"
adri
Der Untergang?
MaxStirner
Nope, sorry ... here's the next clue:
    3. Clue: "Acronyms such as 'W.O.M.E.N' had our lead man stumped."
MaxStirner
Apparently, a further clue is needed:
    4. Clue: "U.S. Congressional directive 271 is the basis of this (adapted) true story."
sonam
Fahrenheit 9/11
hunnyhiteshseth
Is it related with global warming?

May be: "An inconvenient truth"
MaxStirner
Perhaps it's (a) too difficult to guess or (b) the clues are a bit too vague. I'll raise the prize money to 100 FRIH$ and supply a double clue:
  • Round B (100 FRIH$, a bit more difficult):
    4. Clue: "U.S. Congressional directive 271 is the basis of this (adapted) true story."
    5. Clue: "Harry Truman was President when this film was released."
    6. Clue: "Due to the miserable weather, the actors contracted all kinds of diseases, including some types of lung infection as well as hepatitis."

Note: the 7th clue will be (kind of) a give-away, so stay tuned Smile .
Ghost Rider103
King Kong
jeremyp
MaxStirner wrote:

I doubt if any clue short of the actual title will be a give away for most people. I'd never heard of I Was a Male War Bride until I Googled for it. For those who are interested, the search term that nailed it was "hepatitis movie drag 271".
MaxStirner
jeremyp wrote:
MaxStirner wrote:

I doubt if any clue short of the actual title will be a give away for most people. I'd never heard of I Was a Male War Bride until I Googled for it. For those who are interested, the search term that nailed it was "hepatitis movie drag 271".

I freely admit that you would need to have a moderate interest in films, to have seen it, although I must have watched it at least 3 or 4 times during my two-year stay in the U.S. (and it shows at least one a year here in Germany, on TV as well as in rerun theatres). In any case, congratulations for supplying the correct answer! I'll attempt to make the next one a bit simpler, although it will not be either American Pie XVII or Scary Movie XXIV.
hunnyhiteshseth
jeremyp wrote:
MaxStirner wrote:

DAMN IT!! I kept on waiting for that "will-make-it-very-easy" 7th clue. But it never came & instead came correct answer!!
MaxStirner
  • Round C (40 FRIH$, a simpler one, I hope):
    1. Clue: "After almost 20 years, one can still visit this film's set in, of all places, Iowa."
adri
Hmmm, the clue is very vague (for me at least)...
So I searched and searched and searched, but the best I came trough was:

Miles from Home.

Adri
MaxStirner
I have to keep them vague to hold the "googlers" at bay Smile . Very good guess, but ... regrettably, no. Here comes the next one:
  • Round C (40 FRIH$, a simpler one, I hope):
    1. Clue: "After almost 20 years, one can still visit this film's set in, of all places, Iowa."
    2. Clue: "Would the names "James Earl Jones" and the author of "A Young Girl In 1941 With No Waist At All" ring a bell?."
Gushe
Field of Dreams?
MaxStirner
Gushe wrote:
Field of Dreams?

Congratulations, give the Frihoster a cigar! ... and the 40 FRIH$!

New round starts in an hour or so ... and it will be decidedly tougher ... even if I get complaints again Smile .
MaxStirner
  • Round D (160 FRIH$, with clues that are not very straight-forward but neither are they (I hope) patently unfair or impossible to interpret):
    1. Clue: "A dragon wreaks havoc on Frisco streets."
truespeed
probably not this as part of the clue is in the title.

"The Year of the Dragon"

The reasoning,dragon i thought chinese,so i typed bruce lee and san francisco into google,and low and behold bruce lee was born there.
MaxStirner
Impeccable reasoning. The dragon was indeed "Chinese", but no, it wasn't Bruce Sad .
  • Round D (160 FRIH$, with clues that are not very straight-forward but neither are they (I hope) patently unfair or impossible to interpret):
    2. Clue: I'll add another tile to the puzzle: "What snakes fear the most."

P.S. If the 2nd clue does the trick I will double the prize money.
P.P.S. If the clues seem to quixotic: I promise that the 7th one will be enlightening.
adri
I would say.... Eragon. Confused
MaxStirner
    3. Clue: "The end credits of this film feature the leading man's only attempt at singing (in a duet with one of the greats) and the film's director sings (from the off) an Italian classic during the "pizzeria" scene."
MaxStirner
    3. Clue: "The end credits of this film feature the leading man's only attempt at singing (in a duet with one of the greats) and the film's director sings (from the off) an Italian classic during the "pizzeria" scene."
    4. Clue: "Most of the cast ends up in San Francisco Bay towards the end of the film."
Chinmoy
is it "The hulk"?
adri
San Francisco Bay Guardian? Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth
I think the topic starter is not checking this topic now.

But still is this by any chance, Spiderman 3
mackhenry
spiderman 1.2???????