FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DOs and DON'TS (Taboos) in England

Do you give a .... about manners?
Yes
92%
 92%  [ 13 ]
No
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

ciureanuc
Manners are Important!!!

In England...

Do stand in line:
English like to form orderly queues (standing in line) and wait patiently for our turn e.g. boarding a bus. It is usual to queue when required, and expected that you will take your correct turn and not push in front. 'Queue jumping' is frowned upon.

Do take your hat off when you go indoors (men only)
It is impolite for men to wear hats indoors especially in churches.
Nowadays, it is becoming more common to see men wearing hats indoors. However, this is still seen as being impolite, especially to the older generations.

Do say "Excuse Me":
If someone is blocking your way and you would like them to move, say excuse me and they will move out of your way

Do Pay as you Go:
Pay for drinks as you order them in pubs and other types of bars.

Do say "Please" and "Thank you":
It is very good manners to say "please" and "thank you". It is considered rude if you don't. You will notice in England that we say 'thank you' a lot.

Do cover your Mouth:
When yawning or coughing always cover your mouth with your hand.

Do Shake Hands:
When you are first introduced to someone, shake their right hand with your own right hand.

Do say sorry:
If you accidentally bump into someone, say 'sorry'. They probably will too, even if it was your fault! This is a habit and can be seen as very amusing by an 'outsider'.

Do Smile:
A smiling face is a welcoming face.

Do Drive on the left side of the road
Find out more about driving

Do open doors for other people
Men and women both hold open the door for each other. It depends on who goes through the door first.
ciureanuc
Now DON'T:

In England...

Do not greet people with a kiss:
English only kiss people who are close friends and relatives.

Avoid talking loudly in public
It is impolite to stare at anyone in public.
Privacy is highly regarded.

Do not ask a lady her age
It is considered impolite to ask a lady her age

Do not pick your nose in public:
We are disgusted by this. If your nostrils need de-bugging, use a handkerchief.

Avoid doing gestures such as backslapping and hugging
This is only done among close friends.

Do not spit.
Spitting in the street is considered to be very bad mannered.

Do not burp in public
You may feel better by burping loudly after eating or drinking, but other people will not! If you can not stop a burp from bursting out, then cover your mouth with your hand and say 'excuse me' afterwards.

Do not pass wind in public
Now how can we say this politely? Let's say that you want to pass wind. What do you do? Go somewhere private and let it out. If you accidentally pass wind in company say 'pardon me'.

Belinda sent sent us an email on the indelicate subject of 'passing wind' in public:

"The _expression_ 'pardon me' would be considered by the upper classes to be rather common. When I was growing up, I was told by my mother, at school and by my aunt who was a nanny to an aristocratic family that the correct thing to do if this happens is to carry on as if nothing's happened and for the entire company to ignore it completely as if they've never noticed. ( even if it's very obvious). I think young people nowadays would probably be more inclined to laugh it off but certainly the older generation in 'polite company' would never, ever draw attention to the incident by apologising. Basically the advice is say 'excuse me' for mouth burps, ignore bottom burps."

It is impolite speak with your mouth full of food

Do not ask personal or intimate questions
We like our privacy. Please do not ask questions such as "How much money do you earn?" "How much do you weigh?" or "Why aren't you married?".

Never eat off a knife when having a meal.
ciureanuc
Finally... Smile

In England...

Women in Britain are entitled to equal respect and status as men (and indeed vice versa) in all areas of life and tend to have more independence and responsibility than in some other cultures. Women are usually independent and accustomed to entering public places unaccompanied. It is usual for women to go out and about on their own as well as with friends. Men and women mix freely.

It is ok for women to eat alone in a restaurant.
It is ok for women to wander around on their own.
It is ok for women to drink beer. hi hi hi hi

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/behaviour.html[/i]
supjapscrapper
ciureanuc wrote:
Now DON'T:

In England...

are you kidding me??? Did you ever go out in england? In London, everybody has a very high opinion about english people.... especially girls. oh they are some model for manners.... my god, I couldn't be more ironic... the English and especially English girls are most famous for their incredible manners..unbelievable what they do at night there....have you ever seen a city where 50 % of the girls you meet in the stress are either drunk to death or directly show you their fat asses if you stare at them...some even are ready to jump on you and let you take them home if you pay a drink and help get them drunk...my god... girls there form a mafia when they gou out at night.. freezing cold and they have their asses naked ... some don't even wear panties. Come on....anybody honest who has been to england and has been out after 20:00 at night has to be honest and say that it's horrible there...
ciureanuc
I LIVE IN LONDON. Smile
You're right. I never seen more drunk girls like here... and I am from Eastern Europe: all the "charts" say that we are the worst when it's come to drink (after Ireland Smile) ).

Anyway, I must say that some manners are kept, even drunk. Sad For example, I never heard more "please", "thank you", "pardon me", "I'm sorry", like here... doesn't matter the color of the skin, the nationality - London is full of immigrants, new or "old" (second, third generation).
In my country, middle class almost forgot "please" or "thank you"... Sad

But I had paste that text because it seemed funny to me. Smile
Anyway, you - as you, the users - are you using "please" and "thank you"??

C.
RubySlasher
I care very much for manners, even though I'm a girl, I'll hold the door open for people if I'm there first, regardless if they're male or female. Sometimes I think that makes people uncomfortable, though.
Also, I feel bad if I bump someone without saying excuse me, sorry, or something of that nature to reconcile for my actions.
hiquality
Romanian here too ciureanuc Smile , and I've been to London too and as I was returning from 333 at 2 am I saw the true face of London Smile
Still I was very polite as I was there and yes ,english people are polite and communicateve too...
Tumbleweed
supjapscrapper wrote:
ciureanuc wrote:
Now DON'T:

In England...

are you kidding me??? Did you ever go out in england? In London, everybody has a very high opinion about english people.... especially girls. oh they are some model for manners.... my god, I couldn't be more ironic... the English and especially English girls are most famous for their incredible manners..unbelievable what they do at night there....have you ever seen a city where 50 % of the girls you meet in the stress are either drunk to death or directly show you their fat asses if you stare at them...some even are ready to jump on you and let you take them home if you pay a drink and help get them drunk...my god... girls there form a mafia when they gou out at night.. freezing cold and they have their asses naked ... some don't even wear panties. Come on....anybody honest who has been to england and has been out after 20:00 at night has to be honest and say that it's horrible there...

Its rude to stare......... Laughing
Zuex
In London, no one gives a ....
Espically where i live.

EDIT: I just read afew posts above mine, its true. You see loads of loose english drunk women in the streets, who (as i have mentioned before) dont give a ....
Then you got the men who are drunk and just start a fight n swear alot. I've lived here all my life, i'm from Tottenham too, so i've grew up in one of the worst known areas.
Flarkis
LOL do's and dont's...these are crazy...the few times I've been to England all i see is drunk girls and lots of booze. In fact i think England probably has more binge drinkers than anywhere else I've been.

Thats my opinion,
Markus
iyepes
I think it depends on where you go. If you go to places where people drink, you will se people drunk, even women.
Kaze_Mitoki
I pride myself on my manners... (American gal typing) My parents went out of their way to teach me these things, and I get a lot more respect from people I don't know because of it. And, I find because I am nice to other people, say please, thank you, etc etc that I find more and more people are doing the same for me. When I lived in a different part of the 'states, nobody held the door for me, even if right in front of me. now, that is a rare occurance... and I hold the door for others.

Honestly, I have never been to England, but i'd like to go there on vacation someday. Hm... If somebody asks me my age I'll only tell them on a need-to-know basis, and only doctors and my parents will -ever- know my weight. ><;; that is just rude for somebody to ask!

oh, question for the topic starter: What are the manners there concerning Ipods and other portable music devices? I find it rather rude that people will sit in a bus, resteraunt or wherever they happen to be, and have their earbuds in with the music so loud that I can hear it across the room. Especially if it is a genre I dislike or that is offensive.
Kaze_Mitoki
Oh! and when riding in the car with someone, what are the rules on smoking? I find it rather interesting that people will light up in my car without asking me first, even if they know I smoke... because, at one point in time, I was driving my mother's vehicle, and she detests the smell. They would light up in the car and i'd have to immediately pull over so they could get their fix or put it out until we got to our destination.

Sounds like common sense, I know, but i'd like other oppinions please.
Terracarnus
Manners concerning Ipods etc: Generally it is if you do use them on buses etc, make sure its quiet. But as with every rule regarding manners, there are always some completely ignorant morons who will just blast it out regardless. Last week heading into Nottingham no less than three people were blasting music on their Ipods - very annoying, especially since none of it was any good.

As for smoking in other peoples cars, surely it is less about manners in England and more about common courtesy? Its your car, so who has any right to do something like that without your permission? Whenever I have been in a car with a smoker they have always asked, and more often than not were refused, but surely the owner of the car has the right to decide.

And on a general note about manners in England, I see much more of a gap between people with manners and those wth not. You get people who are wonderfully polite, and then some who are just ignorant. Somehow I don't feel that this is exclusive to England - we may talk a lot more about manners and politeness (or maybe we don't - you tell me), but in practice I see most countries as just the same this way - you get polite people and impolite people.
blackheart
Really the poll can't be that black and white. I voted yes, but how do people define "manners"?

I don't mean manners by strict etiquette, I just mean general politeness in treating people with respect. (For which the behaviour required is circumstantial).