FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Vista

rafifaisal
Dear all,
I have a small 'problem' with Vista.
When I want to turn of my laptop via Alt + F4 it always comes by default on selection sleep mode.
Isn't it possible to have this come by default on Turn off so i just have to do Alt + F4 and press enter to turn of the laptop.

thanks
crdowner
I do not have Vista running to try this but does it not "remember" the last performed action? For example, if you shutdown your computer once, I though it would remember that action the next time.

You can also check your BIOS settings to see what the action is for pushing the power button. If it is set to sleep, this might cause Windows to take that action instead of the shutdown command.
rafifaisal
Thanks for your reply.
But sorry it doesn't remember the last action.
I have to scroll down to 'shut down' every time I press Alt + F4 Sad
deviator
rafifaisal wrote:
Dear all,
I have a small 'problem' with Vista.
When I want to turn of my laptop via Alt + F4 it always comes by default on selection sleep mode.
Isn't it possible to have this come by default on Turn off so i just have to do Alt + F4 and press enter to turn of the laptop.

thanks

Can you clarify what exactly is it that you want? Is it that you want it to go to sleep mode when pressing Alt + F4 or something else? Or are you saying that you want to change the default setting, which is sleep mode, to shut down without having to choose it from the the drop down menu? Ie. Have shut down as the first option on the drop down menu? I don't see how this is a problem, and really it takes you 1 second to press your down arrow 2 times to get to shut down. But if you really want to do it then here's how:

1. Press Start
2. In the search menu, type "cmd" without the quotes.
3. Command prompt or a black window should pop up. If you don't know what it is, don't worry we will only deal with it for 5 seconds.
4. Now type: "powercfg.cpl,1", again no quotes. If you want to know what that is, its just the power configuration box that your going to be opening.
5. Now you should see drop down boxes. I just checked it and the option you want to change should be in Power Button and Lid > Start menu power button. Since your using a laptop, you should have two sub categories, a "On Battery" one and a "Plugged in" one. Change both options from sleep to shut down.
6. Hit apply and OK afterwards.
7. Test it out by hitting ALT + F4. The first option should be shutdown.

If you have no clue on how to get to the power configuration option, you can also get there through control panel then Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings, which is the long route. Therefore skip to number 5.

There are so many options you can change in there, and this is one of the reason why I like Vista. You can also change what the turn on button does to your laptop as well. Ie. shutdown, sleep, do nothing etc.

I know XP has these options too, so don't sue me =P. Vista has it all there for your convenience.