FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Slax

Do you use slax?
Yes
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
No
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
what's slax?
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 17

otaku
I was wondering if anyone used the OS Slax on thier comp. I try to use my live cd as much as possible. So i can get rid of windows.
Helios
Why do you want to get rid of windows?
What's so bad about it?
squirrelmaster
when you use SLAX, you don't have to worry about virus',
because every time you reboot, it's back to normal.

I really like SLAX, I like it more than Fedora.
you just have the right modules on the CD, to suit your needs.
and just use a ftp server to store important data, or use a USB flash drive.

which means you aren't confined to your own computer, you can use your friends computer and it would be the same(unless his computer sux, and it like a 486 or something, or doesn't have USB)

but otherwise, IT'S ALL GOOD!!! Mr. Green
ashik
Slax is good enough and fast. I tried it, but it didn't seem to have many of the packages I wanted (atleast, not with the Live End I was working with). It didn't even have a C++ or C GNU compiler. All the packages have to be in external modules. Because of this, I think I prefer a fully installed OS with all the necessary packages, over a Live Disc.

Of course, if all you intend to do on your OS is internet browsing, multimedia, and word processing, I guess Slax would be an ideal choice. But if you also have any development in mind, it's always better to go for a more professionally accepted OS.

Also, if you use an OS installed on your hard disc, it frees up a CD Drive that you can use for other purposes. Imagine you are working on a computer with only one CD Drive, and you want to write data onto a CD, or you want to play a music CD, or watch a movie disc, what would you do? Restart to a different OS each time you want to do this?
squirrelmaster
that would suck,

but i have 2 drives: a cd burner, and a cd burner/dvd rom

so i can watch dvd's if i boot from the cd drive~!!
mOrpheuS
otaku wrote:
I was wondering if anyone used the OS Slax on thier comp. I try to use my live cd as much as possible. So i can get rid of windows.

I have it installed on my hard-drive. Very Happy
It's a distro made just as I like them to be :

No unnecessary packages - almost barebone to being with.
Nice modular design and one click install for any extra progam one may need.
It idles at around 140 MB ram on my PC - the lowest I've seen with any distro running KDE. (Fedora Core 5 booted up eating 780 MB! Shocked )

True, there aren't zillions of modules available for it, as is the case with most mainstream distros ... but I found everything I needed.
I don't like the default mouse cursor theme, though. Razz

In all :
It dual boots with my trusty old Windows XP on my box ... what more can I say ?

ashik wrote:
It didn't even have a C++ or C GNU compiler

That is the beauty of slax.
The "development" module is available ... but separately !
dz9c
I have never heard of it, is it free?
ashik
dz9c wrote:
I have never heard of it, is it free?

Definitely! Slax is a popular opensource Linux Distribution...
And of course, almost everything you are going to need with it are also available for free(Many are opensource)
dz9c
Speaking of Linux, which version is free and I can get easily etc etc. Ive heard of Debian/Gnu or whatever and Red Hat
Animal
dz9c wrote:
Speaking of Linux, which version is free and I can get easily etc etc. Ive heard of Debian/Gnu or whatever and Red Hat

The majority of Linux distributions are available for free. There are also some paid versions which include extra software or a technical support package, but there are almost too many free versions of Linux to list.

why not check out http://distrowatch.com/ which compares several Linux variants and will let you see the range of distributions available. If you are a complete noob, however, I recommend Ubuntu.