FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


worst ISP ever!





Srs2388
How can i file a complaint to the my ISP so they can maybe try to do something about this problem?
my internet messes up almost every day.
by messes up I don't mean has a major slow down i mean completely stop working.
my dad has college work he has to do... and it's online.
I will be looking for stuff about college or talking to people or posting on this forum.
then BAM all the sudden. this page cannot be displayed.
it happens every night different times.
sometimes it goes hours without working...
i haven't ever had an ISP with service this awful.
i looked at the bill just to see the rates were raised just for 1.5MB internet. no hosting or anything just high speed cable.
60$ a month.
for that price it shouldn't mess up all the time really.
I am only posting right now because I picked up someone elses wifi i have no idea whose it is.
how could I go about filing a complaint though?
I hate to do it... but something has to be done.

bad thing is.... I live in a really small town =[
nothing else is available here.... it sucks.
gh0stface
The best thing to do is just constantly call the service line, try to get a hold of a supervisor and complain, complain, complain. Especially about the slowdowns which what seems to occur during peak hours. As the saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the cheese.

Do you not have any other high speed internet service provider in your town? Not even DSL?
Srs2388
I'm not sure if we have DSL here or not... it isn't just my internet that messes up it's other peoples on their service.
i think paying that much for a service it shouldn't mess up nearly every day
Jaan
Call tech support... most of the time it's on your side, maybe your lines are old, router settings, etc etc.
gh0stface
Srs2388 wrote:
I'm not sure if we have DSL here or not... it isn't just my internet that messes up it's other peoples on their service.
i think paying that much for a service it shouldn't mess up nearly every day

A lot of the time, especially with cable companies, they'll overload a node in the neighborhood. Hence why during peak times pings are outrageously high, loss of connection, packet loss etc.

Keep calling tech support and ask for people that are in a higher position constantly.
Craeft
I used to be a floor support supervisor for Comcast tech support. Comcast has the worst tech support in the world. They were all idiots. But let me see if I can help ya out here. I also used to run a 900MHz ISP, so... hopefully... heh


Srs2388 wrote:
How can i file a complaint to the my ISP so they can maybe try to do something about this problem?

They won't. Here's what they will do:

Please remove any routers and connect your PC to our modem (cable DSL etc, whatever it is you have)
And then they will most likely blame your hardware. Actually, it often is a client setting or something similar.

Quote:

my internet messes up almost every day.
by messes up I don't mean has a major slow down i mean completely stop working.
my dad has college work he has to do... and it's online.
I will be looking for stuff about college or talking to people or posting on this forum.
then BAM all the sudden. this page cannot be displayed.
it happens every night different times.
sometimes it goes hours without working...
i haven't ever had an ISP with service this awful.
i looked at the bill just to see the rates were raised just for 1.5MB internet. no hosting or anything just high speed cable.
60$ a month.
for that price it shouldn't mess up all the time really.
I am only posting right now because I picked up someone elses wifi i have no idea whose it is.
how could I go about filing a complaint though?
I hate to do it... but something has to be done.


Ok. So you are on cable internet?
1) Are you running through a router?
2) start a ping and let it run. To do this, go into your command prompt and type:
ping -t 4.2.2.2
3) Open up a second command prompt window and do:
ping -t 192.168.0.1 (or whatever IP your router holds on the internal side).

When the 4.2.2.2 drops, make sure the 192.168.0.1 is still pinging.

That's just for monitoring, of course, but will help figure some things out.


What cable company is it? They should have some remote diagnostics that they can use to see if they're getting to your IP address (issued by them).
So start with calling their tech support. If they don't help. ASK them to be directed to their Tier 2 support reps. They will HATE you for that. But tier 1 reps are about as useful as a hole in a milk jug.

Quote:

bad thing is.... I live in a really small town =[
nothing else is available here.... it sucks.


I live in such a small town, we can't even get satellite. Had to start an ISP myself using 900MHz terrestrial RF in conjunction with a VERY pricey T1 line. hehe...
So I feel your pain.
Craeft
gh0stface wrote:
Srs2388 wrote:
I'm not sure if we have DSL here or not... it isn't just my internet that messes up it's other peoples on their service.
i think paying that much for a service it shouldn't mess up nearly every day

A lot of the time, especially with cable companies, they'll overload a node in the neighborhood. Hence why during peak times pings are outrageously high, loss of connection, packet loss etc.

Keep calling tech support and ask for people that are in a higher position constantly.



^^ this.

Also.. if you are using USB option they (the ISP) gave you, DON'T! If you can use Cat5, use cat5.
1) Cat5 is faster.
2) USB drivers will tear the crap out of your host file.

I installed USB once (from Cox) just to try it and I couldn't do ANYTHING. I fought with them forever on the issue blaming their DNS servers and what have you (because it was acting just like a DNS screw up). Which got me to thinking... host file. I opened my host file and there were PAGES and PAGES of reroutes that the USB driver disk wrote into it. I deleted them and then reinstalled the disk just to make sure... and yep. They were all back.

Careful with any discs from the ISP.
Srs2388
I don't want to sound stupid.
but what is Cat5?
I don't use USB I am using ethernet.. I have USB or ethernet.
the router i use doesn't have USB it only has ethernet.
please and thanks.
sorry if i sound like a moron
brokenadvice
Cat 5 (really Cat 5e ) cable is the same thing as an ethernet cable.

Just a side note, the end connectors are not RJ-45's, they are acutally 8P8C modular connectors.
Srs2388
oh my bad i didn't know what that meant. sorry.
I'm using that though it helped alot from USB when i had first got it.
like everyones messes up that has their service.
bulek
Well, I thought my ISP is the worst one. But then I saw your post... Smile
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.