FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can/Should the U.S.A. join the European Union?

Soulfire
Well, first we must establish something:
Can the U.S.A. even join the EU?

And, if so, should we?

I'm starting to think so ...

After all, imagine the world's strongest military and the world's greatest economy combined ... we could be a monopoly for Civil Rights!
wumingsden
Soulfire wrote:

And, if so, should we?

After all, imagine the world's strongest military and the world's greatest economy combined ... we could be a monopoly for Civil Rights!

In my opinion, the USA shouldn't be allowed to join the EU seen as its not part of Europe. It doesn't make sense, only members of states of Europe can join the EU...and as of yet, only countries that are in Europe are allowed to apply.

Concerning whether I want them to, if it was possible, it has its pros and cons.

A few things that should be mentioned....

It would create a lot of problems, especially concerning the Four Freedoms of Movement (goods, people, services and capital), set out in the Treaty of Rome 1957 and thats not going to change as this treaty formed the EU.
So, because of the movements it'll create problems, like the movement of people. The "American Dream" and terrorism to name just two.

The US isn't going to like all of the important decisions to be made in another country, by other countries.
Nor is it going to want to change its currency as the "world currency" (if there is such a thing), at the moment is the US$...although here, the UK, has refused to give up the Sterling.

I don't know what the medical (a possible new American-NHS?), and educational implications would be. But they could also be affected.

If Earth was against another force like from different planets (which at the moment however likely it is, is not plausable at this time), then of course every single country should unite...

BUT should the US be able to/join the EU, my opinion is no.
Donutey
Nevermind the original post, but what really needs to be done is similar to how europe is setup where people essentially have free range between member countries. Here we are in N. America and the US is now requiring passports just to go to Canada (it's not like it would take any effort to covertly move between countries). All the passport does it be an inconvenience, between first world countries at least.
coolclay
I think the new passport regulations are good and important. Its better than a national id card, like REAL ID.

And no I would definitely be against joining any type of union bigger than what we have already. We already have a union it's called the United States of America.

The whole purpose of creating the USA was to join the separate states, and to have one currency. Originally many states had their own currency. Essentially interstate travel is the same thing as interunion travel. You don't need an ID to go from one state to another. Look at the average size of a European country, and the average size of a US state, they're not all that different.

Heck most of our states are bigger than a lot of the European countries.

Imagine needing a passport to go from one state to another, now in that circumstance it would make sense to have a union, and we do, its called the USA!
Aless
As an American living in the UK, it would be AWESOME to have EU rights here, lemme tell you. US citizens have less rights than someone from Canada (who are part of the Commonwealth) and it's quite often frustrating to be bumped out of a job even though we speak perfect English over an EU candidate that does not.

HOWEVER (and a big one), I don't think the US, morally or politically, should ever be allowed or consider joining the EU. It would be wrong and bad on many fronts.
halflife268
I don't think Europe likes the USA too much, they wouldn't allow it even if it was possible to join. The culture and motives here are completely different compared to Europe.
Peterssidan
First of all USA is not in Europe so it should not be possible. If all the countries could join what kind of union would it be? I think we are too different in USA and Europe so it isn't possible to join. In the EU countries we are still recommended to have passports (I don't know if we have to). The great distance between USA and the European countries is also very big. If we wait some billions of years and maybe the northern america continent has moved over to Europe then we can talk about joining.

In my own opinion I don't like neither USA or EU so have to be a part of a combination of the both would make me feel very sick.
wumingsden
halflife268 wrote:
I don't think Europe likes the USA too much, they wouldn't allow it even if it was possible to join. The culture and motives here are completely different compared to Europe.

Hmmm, in what way? I think the country most similiar to the USA is the UK, which is in Europe. Theres not that many differences, the major two i can think of are the fact the UK has a NHS, America doesn't, as well as a Royal Family.
missdixy
I seriously thing that's a silly idea haha. The USA isn't even in Europe!
PatTheGreat42
Don't you, er, have to be in Europe to be in the European union? I mean, I know many Americans aren't too good at geography, but I think they'd notice eventually.

Maybe.

Why don't we start a new organization? Like, a North Atlantic one or something
Shewolf
I do suppose the reason why making the EU in the first place was too make sure USA would not be the single "seat of power" in this world (not wanting to mention the cold war, but still...). So for the US to join EU would then be quite meaningless from the European point of view.
Anyway, EU wants people too be able to travel freely across boarders. As mentioned before, this is not US policy these days. So, free marketing sure, but for the rest there's no way the US and EU could find a good way of solving it.

And speaking about countries which is not in Europe, Turkey wants to join in. And the last time I checked it was a country in the middle east. Even though they very much would like to be inside European boarders from time to time.
Karel_vanroye
NEVER
standready
Donutey wrote:
Nevermind the original post, but what really needs to be done is similar to how europe is setup where people essentially have free range between member countries. Here we are in N. America and the US is now requiring passports just to go to Canada (it's not like it would take any effort to covertly move between countries). All the passport does it be an inconvenience, between first world countries at least.

As you said "NOW". Passports are required because they provide a little added security - NOT - but that was the reasoning. Don't forget about Mexico, same applies.
takashiro
I don't think it possible for USA government to join the Europe Union. After all, USA isn't located in Europe and USA is strong and needn't a union. USA can develope well herself. Very Happy
goutha
I don't think that the USA can join the EU... It's not part of Europe, and it's really far from Europe.

The EU was founded to createa balanced power in the World. The USA was the strongest country and they were a bit afraid.

Now there is China that is becoming a new world powerful contry...
D'Artagnan
They already did, they called it NATO... Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
standready
Shewolf wrote:
And speaking about countries which is not in Europe, Turkey wants to join in. And the last time I checked it was a country in the middle east. Even though they very much would like to be inside European boarders from time to time.

Actually part of Turkey is in Europe. The other part is in Asia. A country divided across two continents.
Shewolf
Turkey is a HUGE country, and a tiny, little corner of it is placed "in Europe". It's not divided, equally. Russia on the other hand is divided, no matter how you put it. And by the way, I do not think the US would like to join in if Russia did...
That would be a nice mess Twisted Evil
MaxStirner
The European Union is more than an economic free-trade zone or simply a convenient tool to simplify travel or monetary transactions. It is, in my opinion a concept, an attempt to move away from petty, militaristic, nationalistic, flag-waving patriotism and towards a humanist furure. On the day the U.S. feels able to recognize international institutions, anything from the International Court of Justice to the Kyoto Protocol, from the Geneva Convention to the U.N., then they would not want join the European Union. They would replace NAFTA with a fair, functioning alternative, take their seat at the United Nations and change the world for the better as it has never been done before and any other achievements of the U.S. would pale in comparison. Perhaps they will some day, for the past years though, they have, regrettably, done the almost exact opposite.
Sphaerenkern
The European Union is a economical and political counterbalance to such super powers as the USA. So it shouldn't be melted.
Also, it was already mentioned that American citizens have less rights and the politics work a bit different. Considering this, I would presume that the USA would want to apply these politics on the EU, something I surely don't want.
But anyway, the USA is a Federation and the EU is, too, so it wouldn't make sense to put one into another.
And for military purposese, there is already the NATO.
Davidgr1200
I don't think it makes any sense of the United States of AMERICA to join the EUROPEAN union. On the other hand I DO think that it would be an interesting idea for Russia to join NATO though. That might make greater progress towards peace in the world.
Indyan
European Union is a body which is supposed to unify all european countries for the betterment of Europe and the world in general. If other countries are also allowed to join then over time it would become a competitor to UN and loose its distinct characterstic.
czc587
It cant be a part of Europe ( check the map to see why ), but I do think that the counties of north america should all join and have a north american union. Canada and the US would be strong, and eventually mexico will also strengthen and be a contributing country.
telescream
first of all, the usa shouldn't be allowed in. because we aren't in europe.

and even if we could get in, i think the europeans would take it as a personal affront.
like the u.s. is so arrogant that they are butting into a european union even though we're not a part of europe.

you catch my drift? ^^
nilsmo
The US is very different from European union states politically, economically and culturally. The rules the EU has are very different from the rules the US has. (The US is a more conservative country.) it wouldn't be possible.

Plus the US isn't in Europe.
James_Hicks
I've watched videos on the proposal of the North American Union. I also saw a web page that had currency that was to be the money of the North American Union. Not sure if it was real but it was pretty convincing. They had ID cards and all sorts of propaganda. With the American dollar doing so poorly, Canada has everything to lose with this uniting of countries. At least a lot of Mexicans will have a nice raise on their paychecks and might not have to leave Mexico for better paying jobs in the United States. All these regions uniting makes the biblical Revelations look all the more plausible... and I'm a Taoist.
mathiaus
The EU is a project to oppose the USA. Not oppose it but have the ability to oppose it if need be.
One example is the Galileo satellite programme to replace the American GPS in europe.

Therefore the USA would not be invited to join the EU, would not be allowed or welcomed etc.

I don't like the EU by the way. If you feel like coming over and splitting it up, feel free Very Happy
MaxStirner
mathiaus wrote:
The EU is a project to oppose the USA. Not oppose it but have the ability to oppose it if need be.
One example is the Galileo satellite programme to replace the American GPS in europe.

Therefore the USA would not be invited to join the EU, would not be allowed or welcomed etc.
I don't like the EU by the way. If you feel like coming over and splitting it up, feel free Very Happy

In my opinion, you will need to provide more arguments than the Galileo program to substantiate that claim. I fail to see how motivation and raison d'etre of the ECSC (European Coal and Steel Community), the Treaties of Rome, the EEC (European Economic Community), the EU, the Schengen Agreement, the European Monetary Union and the (albeit) unfinished European Constitution Project can be simply traced back to an anti-American stance. In that context, every car built in Japan, every toy produced in China, every liter of crude oil pumped out of the ground in the Middle East is nothing but the attempt to undermine and curtail American power and influence.
The Galileo project will certainly be a competitor to the American GPS (although other systems are also in place), but considering the low quality of the GPS system (at least that part which is shared and not restricted to U.S. military use) and the implicit threat of deactivation or signal skewing (as the Pentagon has indicated might be possible), make it reasonable to attempt building a new, commercially based, system. Although there are major differences between the EU and the US, not everything should be reduced to this (in my opinion largely imaginary) conflict.
nilsmo
It would be nice to have the US and Europe get a little closer, though. But this close is impossible.
Coclus
Sorry but this question is like asking if Germany should become the 51st state of America...
whitehole
No, America shouldn't join the EU. The smaller the gov't is the better imo because gov't tends to screw up very simple things. Also, the best form of government is self government so being governed by people on the other side of the world seems like a loss too.
hofodomo01
Can Arnold be the president? =/

The EU in part helps deal with the diplomacy between the craploads of sovereign states in that continent...the US doesn't have that issue of multiple national affairs to deal with.
watersoul
Why would the US want to join us in EU anyway? It's only really developed here because our individual countries are far to small to have any real influence in the world on our own. I like the EU if only because it might stop us all starting wars with each other in future! Travel restrictions are easier and the freedom to trade has definitely helped all the component parts improve economically.

It would never happen anyway, not only because it's a bit of a silly idea obviously, but for a start the US would have to lose the death penalty, control gun's, and start providing free health care for all it's citizens no matter how much money they have - oh, and you'd have to accept being completely taxed up to your eyes by the government!! Wink
jcvincent75
The United States is not a part of Europe so why would they join the European Union? It goes like this.. England is in Europe so it's not part of the United States.
Arty
I don't think the US can join the EU. And even if it did how can the US's economy function with the EU's economy, being so far away?
PatTheGreat42
Why would the US even want to join the EU? We'd have to switch over to the Euro and suddenly identify with a bunch of cultural points that we really don't, and for what? Trading advantages?
Kaseas
Well the US isn't european so no. However the US should be free to work out any agreements with countries that it wishes to.
Bigears69
A few points. Firstly I've noticed a few people remarking that as the US is not in Europe, they cannot join the EU. Whilst this is a valid point, in my head the union of existing member states and the US would most likely take on a different name, more akin to NATO and the like (perhaps NAU), thus no longer requiring members to be geographically European.

Secondly, to claim that the US would not tolerate such a rapid transition of power is in my opinion extremely accurate. However in my view, the formation of a transatlantic union would be unlikely to follow the traditional European membership process, and would be more akin to the process in which the EU was formed in the first place. The EU was not formed overnight (there was no groundbreaking event like the US war of independence or civil war), rather it was a decades long negotiation process where power was very gradually centralised into the European institutions we know today. Following WW2, a number of European states decided that the best way of preventing war between notoriously bloodthirsty European countries was to bind them economically. This gave way to the European coal and steel community (ECSC), a pooling of the resources most vital to warfare. Through decades of supranationalisation, the European economic community was formed and with it came a centralisation of non-economically focused lawmaking power (e.g. ECHR, etc.). I am of the opinion that were the united states ever to form a union with what we now know as the EU, it would follow this more gradual process, making it more palatable for all involved.

That being said, neither entity will be ready for many years to come. As far as the EU has come, there is still a long way to go before it can claim to be any where near as unified as the US. Bar a cataclysmic event such as interplanetary war, I can't see this being on the cards at least until the US and the EU can be compared like for like.
jajarvin
Yes of course.
The only problem is that there is many thousands kilometers sea water between Eu and USA.
deanhills
jajarvin wrote:
Yes of course.
The only problem is that there is many thousands kilometers sea water between Eu and USA.
There is a big cultural divide between the two continents as well. First of all between the UK and Europe already, and then between the US and UK to a certain extent, and then a huge extent between the US and Europe. Money probably speaks in most cases when the very large Big Brother Banking and other Corporations are gobbling up companies, but so far Europe has been able to resist a take-over by other countries, including US and the Far East.
johans
Soulfire wrote:

And, if so, should we?

Nope.. I guess the the land area is so big and huge that is why U.S.A has its own different organization.
Pippo90
No, it shouldn't be allowed. It wouldn't make any sense.
cabenqc
IMO, this subject contains 2 questions.
[Q1] Should
[Q2] Can

[Should] is very much subjective and personal I think.
[Can] is pretty technical and related to Constitutional Law of US and EU.

If [Q2] with answer "Yes", then it make sense to discuss about [Q1].
Just my HO.
Have a good day.
pravojednostavno
It shouldn't be allowed - USA is not part of Europe.
deanhills
Well US does seem to be involved with Europe along global lines. It seems to be involved every where across the globe. Can't see it joining the EU however as it wouldn't want to be prescribed to. It seems to be doing well in Europe on its own terms.
tonberry
Why would USA be allowed to join European Union? European Union was created for all the countries to protect our common business and to compete economically with USA, among others. USA would never join EU even if such ridiculous offer would come through and it doesn't need to - it's huge on its own. Europe is a collective of small countries if you don't count Russia, which also doesn't need to be in EU because of its sheer size.

United States are agreeing and on a lot of things European Union stands for and vice versa. Most of our foreign policies are the same and various regulations were created to make the flow of communication and resources easy between those countries. So it's not like they are two separate entities not related to each other.

It would of course be nice to unite under one banner, but that wouldn't happen until we're one on enough levels. And once that happens, it doesn't matter anymore what the names are.
samtheman
wumingsden wrote:

In my opinion, the USA shouldn't be allowed to join the EU seen as its not part of Europe. It doesn't make sense, only members of states of Europe can join the EU...and as of yet, only countries that are in Europe are allowed to apply.

Concerning whether I want them to, if it was possible, it has its pros and cons.

A few things that should be mentioned....

It would create a lot of problems, especially concerning the Four Freedoms of Movement (goods, people, services and capital), set out in the Treaty of Rome 1957 and thats not going to change as this treaty formed the EU.
So, because of the movements it'll create problems, like the movement of people. The "American Dream" and terrorism to name just two.

The US isn't going to like all of the important decisions to be made in another country, by other countries.
Nor is it going to want to change its currency as the "world currency" (if there is such a thing), at the moment is the US$...although here, the UK, has refused to give up the Sterling.

I don't know what the medical (a possible new American-NHS?), and educational implications would be. But they could also be affected.

If Earth was against another force like from different planets (which at the moment however likely it is, is not plausable at this time), then of course every single country should unite...

BUT should the US be able to/join the EU, my opinion is no.

i really do agree with you, and you basically just wrote one of my projects.
you have been really helpful and i have sited you as one of my sources.
i would like to ask if i could quote you in my project?
thanks

alot of people her get mistaken!!
double check your facts!
por favor dejar de decir cosas estupidas!!

PatTheGreat42 wrote:
Don't you, er, have to be in Europe to be in the European union? I mean, I know many Americans aren't too good at geography, but I think they'd notice eventually.

Maybe.

Why don't we start a new organization? Like, a North Atlantic one or something

a north Atlantic one already exists, its called NATO

Davidgr1200 wrote:
I don't think it makes any sense of the United States of AMERICA to join the EUROPEAN union. On the other hand I DO think that it would be an interesting idea for Russia to join NATO though. That might make greater progress towards peace in the world.

Russia is not on the north Atlantic. NATO is the north Atlantic treaty organization!

Coclus wrote:
Sorry but this question is like asking if Germany should become the 51st state of America...

Actually this is a very legitimate question. since turkey is in the EU and they aren't in Europe.
First of all, America is a country so Germany couldn't be a state. second of all the EU is a union so the US could join it. Plus this question was on my major 6th grade test.

The United States of America should not join the European Union. If the USA should join the EU then they would have to convert their way of life to the European way of life. Since the EU is a cultural, economical, and political organization then the US would have to change a lot.

It would create a lot of problems, especially concerning the Four Freedoms of Movement (goods, people, services and capital),set by the Treaty of Rome (1957) and that's not going to change as this treaty formed the EU. So, because of the movements it'll create problems, like the movement of people. The "American Dream" and terrorism to name just two.
Also the US isn't going to like all of the important decisions to be made in another country, by other countries.
Neither is it going to want to change its currency as the "world currency", at the moment is the US dollar. Although in the UK they have refused to give up the Pound Sterling.
The US is its own country with it's own laws, government, rights, and people. they definitely wouldn't like to loose control. The US should not ever join the EU, it would cause an outrage!

please please donate!

MODERATOR - Several serial posts combined. Please review the Frihost forum rules, and hosting FAQ. The Edit button is your friend.
-Ankhanu
SonLight
NATO is a military treaty, and is irrelevant for the things EU membership might be good for. EU membership for the US doesn't make sense, due to distance and our sense of autonomy. We could seek closer trade agreements with EU though, and the NAFTA model might be appropriate. While I doubt we need a major treaty with EU, it would make sense for the NAFTA countries as a group to negotiate with the EU countries as a group, possibly leading to substantial reduction in trade and travel friction.

At the moment, the US doesn't seem to trust other countries very well for border security. Unless we becomes convinced that all the other NAFTA countries and EU countries were as careful as Canada in controlling unfriendly travel, we probably wont make many changes in that area.
spinout
haha, well I could go for cheap gas and freedom on the roads... But other than that, NO!