FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can I put a new style 24pin ATX power connector to an old AT

KHO
I have an old computer that accepts a 2 split 12 pin connector for the Main power supply on the board

For the life of me, I cannot find the answer to this question on google, nor can I find an old style AT PSU. But can I connect a new style 24pin(or 20+4pin as is the case) to this safely?
datadoc
No you can't connect those at all, even if you could rewire the pins, the voltage and amps are different, you would risk shorting out your MB. If you have a local goodwill store or another type of resale shop, I would stop by those and you will more than likely find a PS that you need. I get tons of those older computers from storage auctions and I give them away to goodwill.
KHO
Thanks for the advice! I was lucky and found like a $7 USD one with $10 shipping on ebay. Not too bad, probably cheaper then picking a computer up from goodwill. These things are hard to track down!
ForceRun
You munst be working on a dog old system, I have never seen that stuff before...
Donutey
ForceRun wrote:
You munst be working on a dog old system, I have never seen that stuff before...

I know the original Pentium systems used those connectors, but starting with the PII systems they were phased out. I'm relatively certain they stuck around a bit longer with AMD systems though, as AMD continued to use Socket 7 for a while after Intel moved to Slot 1.