FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux + Photoshop?

zanzou
A friend of mine is going to get Linux soon, and she wants to know-- does it run photoshop?

And if it doesn't, does it run an equivalent of some sort?
badai
try GIMP
zanzou
badai wrote:
try GIMP

GIMP is an alternative to photoshop?
badai
at least close. there is no alternative for photoshop in linux yet
zanzou
badai wrote:
at least close. there is no alternative for photoshop in linux yet

Ah, okay. :) Thanks.
LostOverThere
Google managed to get WINE to work with Photoshop CS1/2 (One or the other). But there's no native version of Photoshop for Linux as far as I know.
furtasacra
I am trying out GIMP, and so far, I LOVE it. Granted, I'm just doing basic image editing, but GIMP is FAST.
Psycho_X52
The only thing I don't like about GIMP is that the "newer", the harder to use it gets.
What 2.2 had and 2.4 didn't was the new window facility: Let's say you have a 1632*1224 image, and you want just a character from the picture; you select it (eg:820*515) and copy it. When creating a new image the size where exactly 820*515. At 2.4 you have to measure it, and then manually enter the data.
Another thing: duplicating layers; all you had to do was to select the layer and press ctrl+D. Dow it creates a new image, not a new layer.

Gimp works better on Linux... It starts-up faster, it is well pre-configured... and it's FREE Wink
Studio Madcrow
GIMP is OK for a lot of stuff and I do use it quite a bit, but there are certain things that it just can't do like 16-bit-per-channel color and true CMYK. While CMYK isn't THAT important unless you plan on getting stuff printed professionally, the lack of 16-bit-per-channel support is a bit annoying.

Photoshop 7, CS and CS2 all DO work quite nicely in Wine though if you need the extra color features it offers.
mehulved
It will be best to use gimp on linux platform cos it works on linux natively.
Also, gimp works on windows, so you can try it out on windows before migrating, so your friend can know if he/she would be comfortable with it.
If gimp doesn't suit the needs and you still want to try linux then it is possible to run photoshop on wine. But, it may not run perfectly fine.
Before going ahead with photoshop installation on wine, do remember to check the winehq's appdb page for photoshop. Here's the link to it - http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17
The above link will give you user's information on how well/badly did it perform on what version of wine and what distro.
That should help you make your decision.
[FuN]goku
Ugh, i hate gimp and that ALWAYS grinds my gears when linux users say "Use gimp if you wanna use photoshop on linux" ... like gimp sux , and photoshop is slightly more powerful imo.. but thats just my opinion

but i love linux.. and photoshop, so what i did before was:

Get VirtualBox, install XP on it, and then install photoshop on the virtual machine.

Actually, i had photoshop CS2 working with Wine at one point, dont ask me how cuz i honestly dont remember lol. just do a bit of googling and you should be able to find it.. keeping in mind that if you do manage to get it running with wine, it will probably be buggy.. i know it was for me.
zellfaze
What is it that you dont like about the GIMP, it has always been great for me. So much so in fact that I stopped using photoshop on my Windows pc.
[FuN]goku
zellfaze wrote:
What is it that you dont like about the GIMP, it has always been great for me. So much so in fact that I stopped using photoshop on my Windows pc.
The whole layout mostly, but i find that photoshop can be more powerful in the sort of thing i do. Plus i've been using photoshop since
like.... 2003 or something like that so i've become used to it.
mehulved
[FuN]goku wrote:

Get VirtualBox, install XP on it, and then install photoshop on the virtual machine.

Yes, that's the best option if you have a fairly powerful machine and aren't averse to running Windows. But, if you don't have such a powerful machine, it's better just to dual boot than to virtualise.
zellfaze
[FuN]goku wrote:
zellfaze wrote:
The whole layout mostly, but i find that photoshop can be more powerful in the sort of thing i do. Plus i've been using photoshop since
like.... 2003 or something like that so i've become used to it.

GIMP does have a very, nonstandard layout to it. Its something you get used to eventually though, and to tell you the truth the layout has some good things about it.
Studio Madcrow
Actually, according to some analysis work done by some researchers, both GIMP and Photoshop have interfaces that are almost equally crappy and hard to work with. It just happens that they tend to be crappy and hard in different ways, so people who've gotten used to one always seem to see the worst things about the other.
carlospro7
gimp is the closest thing to photoshop in linux. i would say it's an alternative.
LostOverThere
If you like Photoshop you may consider trying Krita for Linux. Its open source, and is much more like Photoshop then the GIMP.
furtasacra
Okay. I found something I don't like about GIMP. No macro recording. Argghhhh... how will I batch edit gobs of photos? What EVER will I DO without my precious Photoshop actions? I'm not quite enough of a geek to add that capability myself. Too bad. If I could, I would get SO much love. (Dammit, Jim, I'm a tweaker, not a programmer!)
zellfaze
Rather than making macros, make scripts. Script-fu.
Studio Madcrow
zellfaze wrote:
Rather than making macros, make scripts. Script-fu.

Somehow, I suspect that hacking LISP code is a bit beyond the level fo what the average person who just uses macros to perform repetive actions can perform...
zellfaze
That is a good point, we could all ask the GIMP team to include a macro option in their next version. If enough people ask I figure they will try to.
[FuN]goku
LostOverThere wrote:
If you like Photoshop you may consider trying Krita for Linux. Its open source, and is much more like Photoshop then the GIMP.
Hmm looks slightly better than gimp on the layout Wink perhaps if i'll start using it.
simplyw00x
GIMP is the most (At least as things currently stand) professional and feature-complete image editing and creation program on linux, and if you're not prepared to learn a new layout or a new workflow you probably shouldn't be using linux in the first place (classic Windows 'power user' syndrome). Photoshop runs fine in Wine (it running properly was a blocker bug for Wine's 1.0 release), but if you want tight integration and correct usage of technology like GVFS, then GIMP *is* the way to go.
xbcd
if she uses wine then it will work. i have used it in wine (the new 1.0 release candidate) and it runs great. just google it for a quick guide. "wine cs2 linux"
csoftdev
linux can't run photoshop, not even with crossover office or wine.
there are few alternatives on linux, try gimp or Krita. both are very powerful graphic design tool.
they are actually very similar to photoshop, but of course you can't expect exactly the same thing when they are not from the same company.
xbcd
csoftdev wrote:
linux can't run photoshop, not even with crossover office or wine.
there are few alternatives on linux, try gimp or Krita. both are very powerful graphic design tool.
they are actually very similar to photoshop, but of course you can't expect exactly the same thing when they are not from the same company.

This guy has NO IDEA what he is talking about. Considering i AM A LINUX USER and PERSONALLY USE PHOTOSHOP 8 (CS2) on my linux box, he is just telling crap. don't believe me?
Look: http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/10/photoshop-cs2-on-linux-with-wine.html
thats the guide i used. only difference is that i turned virtual desktop off after install.
zjosie729
I think Gimp is great for my "photoshop needs." but what I need in linux is something as powerful as adobe illustrator!
uwdanny
zanzou wrote:
badai wrote:
try GIMP

GIMP is an alternative to photoshop?

Quite close; can meet the need for most users.
tdfranc
zjosie729 wrote:
I think Gimp is great for my "photoshop needs." but what I need in linux is something as powerful as adobe illustrator!

If you search an alternative for a Windows application,
you should check: http://www.linuxappfinder.com/alternatives

The programs they give as alternative for illustrator are:
Inkscape
Karbon
Skencil
Sodipodi
Synfig Studio
Xara LX
Studio Madcrow
Of the apps they list, only Xara and Inkscape even come close to Illustrator-like functionality. Synfig Studio doesn't belong on that list as it's main purpose is for creating 2D animations (at which it's utterly awesome) rather than still vector images, while Karbon, Skencil and Sodipodi are nice enough, but not quite on the tier we're talking about here.
simplyw00x
Quote:
Of the apps they list, only Xara and Inkscape even come close to Illustrator-like functionality [...blah]

And? Inkscape is cool. Your problem with it?

Quote:
Quite close; can meet the need for most users.

Try reading the thread

Quote:
Let's say you have a 1632*1224 image, and you want just a character from the picture; you select it (eg:820*515) and copy it. When creating a new image the size where exactly 820*515. At 2.4 you have to measure it, and then manually enter the data.

No you don't. Try reading the manual or looking at the menus, then whine about it. Control-Shift-v or File/Acquire/Paste as New.

Quote:
Another thing: duplicating layers; all you had to do was to select the layer and press ctrl+D. Dow it creates a new image, not a new layer.

Again, no. Control-Shift-d. Gee, wasn't that hard?
tdfranc
zanzou wrote:
A friend of mine is going to get Linux soon, and she wants to know-- does it run photoshop?

And if it doesn't, does it run an equivalent of some sort?

I'm currently running Photoshop CS2 on wine (In Ubuntu Linux),
and it works perfect!
There isn't a thing that I've tested that doesn't works!
It even installed right out of the box,
without some tweaks or tricks, so I would surely recommend using this, and not 'The Gimp' (I really don't like that program Smile )