FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cron jobs

pollux1er
Hi to every body. I have a preoccupation about doing a task scheduled in a php script. I need some help because i have been told that it it 'cron jobs'.
I need to know what it is and how i will use it. Thanks to help me
rvec
in CPanel:
the advanced section->cron jobs
try the standard version
in the command to run field I think you have to fill in something like this:
/usr/bin/lynx -source http://you.frihost.net/script.php

then select the day, minute, enz when to run it. You can use ctrl if you want to select more than one.

If it doesn't work the first time enter your email address in the email field, that makes it easier to find the problem.
pollux1er
And is it possible to execute that script every day
?
rvec
yes, just take a look at that page in cpanel and try some things. You can run a script anytime you want. Even things like every day on 3pm and 1am but only in the first and 8th month of the year are possible.
pollux1er
AOP Web Development wrote:
you can set the time for cron jobs if you want to work the script for every minute,days,weeks etc...

Can you explain the manipulation to do for a script to be realized after a precise period?
rvec
nothing needs to be done in the script itself. You only have to create a cronjob. For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron

And did you already look at that page in CPanel, I though it was pretty self-explaining.
pollux1er
rvec wrote:
nothing needs to be done in the script itself. You only have to create a cronjob. For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron

And did you already look at that page in CPanel, I though it was pretty self-explaining.

Thank you for the link. I already say that page in the Cpanel. I will look for what wikipedia can tell me.
mehulved
pollux1er wrote:
AOP Web Development wrote:
you can set the time for cron jobs if you want to work the script for every minute,days,weeks etc...

Can you explain the manipulation to do for a script to be realized after a precise period?

Cron is something that is executed from time to time, to put it in simple terms. But, it's not a exact definition.
So, when you give that command, cron will run that command as per your cron settings.
In this case you are caling lynx browser to run cron.php script periodically.
No changes have to be made in the script itself. It will remain the same. Only thing changing here is time and that is handled by cron. So, it need not be mentioned in the script at all.