FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Memory Card Help

sunjay
Hey,

I would like to know more about Compact Flash (CF) cards.

Q1: What does Compact Flash Type 1 and Type 2 have in common and what are their differences?

Q2: Why are they advertised as Ultra or Extreme, or Ultra2 or Extreme3. What are their differences.

Q3: I would like to buy a CF card but don't know much about it. Can someone suggest a brand and which 'version' i should get. I have a Canon PowerShot A95 at the moment and would like a 512mb card. I would like one that would be capatible with my school's digital SLR (Canon EOS 20D).

Thanks guys,
SunJay
Alacarde
The CF Type 1 and Type 2 are the Card Sizes:
Quote:
# CF type I - 36.4 x 42.8 x 3.3mm
# CF type II - 36.4 x 42.8 x 5.0mm

So you will have to find out which size your camera uses.

I think that Ultra and Extreme are just cheap ways of meaning speed. Like the Pentium and the Celeron.

However, for the 20D, the !fast! card is in the ~60x speed range, while the slow is in the ~12x speed range.

And lastly, I *think* that all canon cards can fit into any other canon camera. So just get a canon flash card.
(Check out http://www.flash-memory-store.com/canon-compact-flash.html) for prices.

Hope that helps!
sunjay
Hey,

Thanks for your reply. Besides the difference that type 2 CF cards are thicker that the type 1 CF cards, are there any other differeces? Like speed or maximum capacity?

Okay, I am thinking of getting a 512 mb card. If I get a fast card like 60X, would that affect the Canon A95? I mean, I want a fast speed for the EOS 20D but I also want to be able to use it in the PowerShot A95.

Thanks Guys
SunJay