FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Book or paper on awk or sed

mike_phi
Hi there all I am looking for some material on awk or gawk, if you wondering what I am talking about I mean awk as in the shell command.

e.g. ls | awk {print ($1,$2)}

I have read bits and peices of many shell scripting books and they always touch on awk but not in great depth the frusterating bit is most of the books

mention thet awk is almost a fully developed programming language but one never gets to see what it can do besides how it as able to select collumnst etc.

so I thought I would like to get my hands on a detailed paper I could download or a book I could buy.

another comand that has been mentioned to have allot more to it than most literature dares to describe is the "sed" command

e.g.

sed /"1"/"one"/

here the same as awk if anyone knows of any literature describing this "languae" please do send it on

for those of you who dont know what I am talking about both "awk" and "sed" are shell comands in a unix/linux based system.

cheers
MrBlueSky
Have a look at this O'Reilly book: http://hell.org.ua/Docs/oreilly/unix2/sedawk/index.htm
mike_phi
Hi there and thanks for the info it looks like the exact book I have been searching for will deffinately purchase it.

thnx again for the tip, you desrve a commision for this purchase ; )

cheers
mike_phi
Hi there just got back to thank you again, I had a look into it and actually purchased the book and I have been glued to it ever since i got it, its a fantastic book and but together in a great way, I know reading about awk and sed is not suppose to be stimulating but wow in this book it is Smile.

Maybe I am becomming caught up deep in my geekness but i loved it.

cheers and thanks allot
mike_phi
Hi there me again,

I was wondering does anybody know how one could nest sed in a awk statement, trying to avoid wrpping seperate sed snd awk scripts in a shell script would like to wrap sed in awk directly

cheers
mike_phi
After playing around with a few awk scripts and trying all sorts of wonderfulll things, I managed to answer my question using the best posible method, i.e by Practice.

Basically for anyone interested in finding out how this can be done from an awk srcipt just do the following.

use the awk function system("<some sommand>")

and in the some commad area you can exacute any sed command you like and any other command you would like to execute of course.

cheers